Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
09-25-2012, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2012 08:57 AM by LiveToCook.)
RE: What are you canning/pickling/preserving today?
Habanero hot (HOT) sauce... Got 25 lbs of these little monsters, great year for all peppers in Quebec, I have done 3 types now and will do my favorite tonight plus a milder version. If anyone is interested I will post the recipe(s) according to taste.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-26-2012, 03:06 AM
I know Ren Man would be, LTC. He likes hot HOT. Me, I'm a milder person. At least when it comes to hot sauce Wink

Finally got some berries picked so it's multi-berry jam this week.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
10-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Last week in a frenzy to catch up since I had done NO CANNING yet this year I put up 50 pints of Bread and Butter Pickles and 36 pints of Pickled Beets.
Hubby and I are currently on a road trip, so I was afraid that I would miss out on the pickle cukes by the time I got back.
The B&B pickles are given as Christmas gifts, so if I don't have enough made I might as well not show up for Christmas!
(Which is twice as harsh as it sounds, since Christmas is at my house....)Tongue

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Today's effort was Rummage Relish! 16 jars of red relish for samwichs, burgers, hot dogs, whatever catches your fancy.
Very nice stuff it has a really good flavor, just as nice as my Bread and Butter pickles! Yum!Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
I've only had apple butter once when I was a little kid, but a friend gave me a TON (or so I thought) of apples from his father's home in Colorado. They barely fit in my largest pan, but it only made four 1/2 pints of butter. Sad Maybe he'll give me more apples.....

So this morning, I made a dozen 1/2 pints of fig jam to go with the other dozen I made a few days ago.

Tomorrow I'll make strawberry preserves from the strawberries in my garden this year.

I'm already planning on canning pesto with my homegrown basil for next year. Yahoo! Not nearly as industrious as HardwareGrl, but I'm in the game Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
(09-06-2011 07:44 PM)ladijules Wrote:  Hello... I'm new here... hope you don't me joining the conversation!

I'm making and preserving my hot salsa as we speak. Yesterday was another several jars of dill pickles! Tomorrow... I need to do something with all those pole beans in my yard!

BTW... does anyone have a good recipe for spicy pickled eggs? My chickens are outdoing themselves and I need to find a way to keep all those eggs! I tried doing them with the same brine and spices as I did my pickles in and they turned out okay, but ... not quite right. Any suggestions?

How I remembered ladijules wanted a recipe for pickled eggs I just don't know...my memory is such crap anymore...

Look what I found! Big Grin

Spicy Pickled Eggs

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Initial product...
[Image: food126_zpsa7522201.jpg]

Intermediate product...
[Image: food125_zpsbd4cd73d.jpg]

Finished product!
[Image: food128_zps0770ba19.jpg]

I suppose this could also go in the cocktail thread, so if anyone wants my bloody mary recipe just holler.Smile

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
09-18-2013, 08:22 AM
(08-06-2013 11:32 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Initial product...
[Image: food126_zpsa7522201.jpg]

Intermediate product...
[Image: food125_zpsbd4cd73d.jpg]

Finished product!
[Image: food128_zps0770ba19.jpg]

I suppose this could also go in the cocktail thread, so if anyone wants my bloody mary recipe just holler.Smile

Drool worthy fo sho! Would LOVE the recipe!!!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
09-18-2013, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2013 09:46 AM by Sunset.)
Of course!

-Pint glass filled with ice
-2-3oz cheap vodka(the good stuff is a complete waste imo)
-1-2oz cheap beer(this is the secret to a good bloody mary imo)
-a splash apple cider pickled okra brine
-small dollop 100% horseradish(not the creamy "prepared" crapola). I like Fred's http://www.taylorsmarket.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=FS
OR one can use a small dollop of wasabi if you're feeling exotic.
-Kosher salt and coarse cracked black pepper to taste
-dash or two worcestershire
-dash celery salt
-dash tobasco
-fill with 100% tomato juice(V8, clamato etc ruin the dynamic imo)
-garnish with celery, pickled okra, garlic or jalapeno stuffed green olive, pickled asparagus, pickled green bean, pearl onion, or whatever blows your hair back.

*edit*
And a good squirt of lime juice

ENJOY!

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...