Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Guitar Amps?
09-11-2011, 02:34 PM
RE: Guitar Amps?
Ladijules, the MicroCube is supposed to be a practice amp but it's easily loud enough and good enough sound quality to do a recital or even a backyard party gig, and the built-in reverb and other effects are on a par with the best discrete guitar effects usually found in stomp boxes or rackmount units. Yes, you'll need to buy a cord too regardless of which amp you get - I recommend 15' or better, and maybe a second one as a backup. A short cord seems like a good idea, but you invariably end up wishing you'd gotten a longer one. Don't skimp on those either - they can be expensive, but cheap ones will just hassle you with broken connections and static.

A MicroCube would definitely grow with her ability, and even if she gets a more serious amp later on, it's something she'd always have a use for as a backup - or for camping, the beach, stupid Halloween costumes, whatever. As an example, I bought two of them and marooned one (along with a cheapo but well-made Squire Strat,) at my folks' house in Dakota, so I have something to use when I go back for Christmas. A little wasteful, perhaps, but I got sick of trying to fit everything in baggage and lug it past Thousands Standing Around, and I gave leave for nieces and nephews to use them in the meantime, if they can be coaxed...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Quote:NWoBHM... Thats the coolest dryer I've ever seen! I love that superman and the hula girls!

Apparently it`s Ged`s set up.......
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Yes the pros do use dryers and chicken roasters are a good choice for the out door gigs she might get hired for. But then you have rotisserie chicken moochers hounding you at the side of the stage all night and that can be uncomfortable for stage left exit crew. Smile

So an alternative is a Pig Nose.
I have one at home I use for practice and I've even done a little recording with it too. Runs off of a little power supply or, get this 6 double A batteries. So she can hook it on her belt and do a little strolling minstrel action or busking should the mood happen.

I have the 7-100 but there are others available. It's 5 watts but you can mic it and send it to the PA system. Nice clean sound and a great dirty sound too.

Pig Nose

Oh Bleat!
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Ok, so I tried posting this question in Continually Off Thread, but keep gettin errors,Angry so I'll try here:

Though I've been a drummer since the 5th grade, and the only guitar experience I have was 1/2 a semester senior year, I thought it'd be fun to re-learn guitar! I went out and got a couple of Washburn electrics (inexpensive, but good quality ones) and a little Laney 'practice' amp that has a lot of features and sounds suprisingly good, now the dilemma...where to learn 'the basics' again?!

I know the one-on-one with an instructor is probably the best way, but I'd like to brush up on what I DO know before I take that leap. That, and the thought of some 'Tween" at Guitar Center that only knows EVH hammer-offs or Megadeth type shredding knda' gives me the willies!Tongue

Anywho, if anyone has any suggestions on a good instructional DVD/Book or online offerings, it'd be appreciated muchly!Huh

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
02-01-2012, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2012 02:24 PM by Jetrow.)
You tube is helpful. First things first, you have to train your hands. Like learning drums, your fingers need to stretch, build up callouses and muscle memory to play with any degree of skill. That comes from practice. Use a metronome, play all the modes (look it up) through every key slowly so that you can play them perfectly. You will be well on your way. Major chords for each key, minor, 7th chords, Barre chords will give you a platform to learn augmented, diminished and 9th chords. Take time to noodle but also set aside a part of your practice to sight read notation with the metronome doing those modal arpeggios. It's easier now that you're an adult with motivation to keep the discipline.

Oh Bleat!
02-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Thanks Jetrow, I remember a lot of those terms and will definitely keep them in mind whilst brushing up! I never could get used to the whole idea of a metronome/click track, well drumming anyway, but my sister used one during her intro to piano and guitar and it helped her in volumes! (Think Steve Martin in "The Jerk" first trying to get his rythym down!) Thanks again!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
02-01-2012, 04:08 PM
(02-01-2012 02:57 PM)Nawlins Wrote:  Thanks Jetrow, I remember a lot of those terms and will definitely keep them in mind whilst brushing up! I never could get used to the whole idea of a metronome/click track, well drumming anyway, but my sister used one during her intro to piano and guitar and it helped her in volumes! (Think Steve Martin in "The Jerk" first trying to get his rythym down!) Thanks again!

Glad to help! Smile Yeah the Jerk was great in depicting that. It's so true too, in that there is music that you just feel move through you and stuff that just doesn't click at all. Learning music as you get older is much easier than when you were an early teen. More able to deal with distraction and all those hormones are out of the way at this point so discipline is much higher.

A grocery cashier I talk to was thinking of taking up the violin once again and with a little push she jumped back into it. Now she's a going concern and we yak about music when ever we run into each other.

Not to mention how good it is for the brain to keep it building those new synapses pathways. The beauty of it is, no matter how much you know about music, there is always plenty to learn.

Oh Bleat!
02-02-2012, 02:13 AM
I did the same thing last fall. I decided to pick the guitar back up after nearly 30 years. Luckily, we have several instruments here so I grabbed a little Suzuki acoustic and started again. Last year, for my birthday, Ren Man got me my beautiful Luna acoustic and for our anniversary he got me an Epiphone Les Paul. I go back and forth. I use the Crate amp I posted a pic of earlier but I have an H&K in the studio (found a great deal on it). I have an effects unit, too (G1XN) and been messing around with the sounds.

I have a great book called Play Rock Guitar by Mike Clifford. He starts you with simple chords and has you playing That'll Be The Day before you know it! There are also some very handy charts and grids in it.

Ren Man got me one called The Everything Rock And Blues Guitar Book by Marc Schonbrun for Xmas. It starts you with scales and tabs.

Now, I wanted to be playing Rush tunes right away and we happened to have the Rush Complete song book (Rush-Signals). We also found a few more (VT, S&A, HYF, CP) and I bought a CD of 150 tabs for Rush songs. Ren Man told me that I shouldn't start "in the deep end" but I couldn't help myself: when I love a song I want to be able to play it. Blush

I can play a few songs all the way through. Presto took me months but, after watching a video of someone else playing an acoustic cover, I finally managed. There are many that I can only play parts of or even just the riff, but I have to start somewhere, right? The best thing is, now that I have caught onto some of Lerxsts' little tricks, other stuff seems pretty easy. Wink

Jeez, rambled again. Good luck and if you need encouragement, just ask Big Grin

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
02-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Waaaaiiiiiit.....I thought all y'all needed to play geee-tar was "three chords and the truth..." Tongue

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
02-03-2012, 02:05 AM
(02-02-2012 06:15 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  Waaaaiiiiiit.....I thought all y'all needed to play geee-tar was "three chords and the truth..." Tongue

Well sure... if you want to get all technical Wink

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!