Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Marmalade
09-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Marmalade
Clementines have been buy-one-get-one-free in 5# boxes and I love the darn things. Trouble is, I can't eat them fast enough and always end up with moldies in the bottom of the box. What to do? Make marmalade!

It's a lot of work, especially with tiny clementines. You can use mandarins, if clementines aren't available. I think it'll be well worth it when I can pop open a jar of summer in the middle of a gloomy Northwestern winter.

You'll need all the usual canning supplies, along with kitchen shears. Sterilize jars and lids. No pectin required.

Ingredients:

7-10 clementines or mandarins
1 lemon
3 cups sugar
2 cups water

Things you can add: fresh or ground ginger; ground cloves; mint; dried cranberries...add any of these just before you pull the mixture off the heat to fill jars.

Peel the clementines. Set aside fruit. Cut all the peels into very thin strips, (the thinner the better) add to 2 cups water in a large nonreactive pot. Zest the lemon right into the water so you capture the oils, and simmer on low heat until soft (10 mins or so), leaving the lid on so it doesn't evaporate too much. Remove the seeds from the lemon, add it to the clementines and puree in processor or blender. I do section the fruit, but I don't remove the membranes between sections. Just throw 'em all in. Your goal is 3 cups of puree (1:1 ratio puree/sugar).

Add the puree to the water and peels, bring to a rolling boil, and add sugar. The recipes I researched recommended using a candy thermometer and heating to 220F, but I found that to be a VERY hard set, impossible to get out of the jar after refrigerating an open jar. YMMV Wink I found that the spoon test* worked every time, producing a nice set that was still spreadable, even after chilling overnight. Thank goodness for Gram's old school gel test Big Grin

Fill jars as usual, and process 10 minutes. I get 6 half pints from this recipe.

*spoon test: dip a cool metal spoon into the mixture and lift it quickly, so the mixture drips off. At first, it will drip off in multiple drops, and as it thickens, there will be fewer drops. When two drops become one and THEN drip off, your mixture will gel.

Here's mine:

[Image: 015.jpg]

"I will quietly resist."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
RE: Marmalade
YES! Thank you EN! I looked for a decent marmalade recipe and had mediocre luck. I am currently soaking my orange slices for 24 hours so I can make marmalade tomorrow. Do you think that will make a difference? I assume the 1:1 ratio will be the same.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-14-2011, 10:29 PM
You're welcome, Gunga Smile

This has been my first experiment with marmalade, and I specifically looked for recipes that were simple, so I can't speak to your soaking question. It seemed like most of the recipes without pectin had that 1:1 ratio in common. Only one spelled it out in those terms (smart British guy's blog) but it seemed like a "key" so I tried it, and it's worked 4 times running. I can't stress enough to double check the gel point by the spoon method, even if you're using the thermometer. It's too much work to have your product turn into a glassy taffy rock after all that. I wanted to cry, and/or throw stuff LOL

I'm so glad someone else is willing to take on marmalade and please do add your recipe and pictures to the thread if you've found a winner!

"I will quietly resist."
09-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks, Entre! I combined several recipes and finished it off this morning. I can't stand marmalade, but the neighbor gave me a bunch of Valencia oranges from the Farmer's Market. She loves marmalade, so I made it for her. HOWEVER, after tasting a bit that was left in the pan, she's only getting a few jars. It was SO GOOD! I didn't puree it like you said, but followed your recipe from there. A+ Smile

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-15-2011, 10:05 PM
Very cool, Gunga, and thanks! I'm glad it worked for you. I'm glad yours was so good you decided to keep some Wink Good to know it works with full sized oranges as well. I'm checking in from my phone, but I'll have some questions for you when I can get back online proper. Neighbors! (That's another story)

"I will quietly resist."
09-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Hello, this is much later, but I must try this too. I will let you know how it goes if you ever come back to this thread. I am also curious about how one might make lemon curd. It's so delish on cheese cake with fresh blueberries, for example.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user