Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What about salt?
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
What about salt?

.doc  Dissertation on Culinary Salt.doc (Size: 28.5 KB / Downloads: 13)

What type of salt is best in your kitchen?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 11:05 AM
RE: What about salt?
Here is a link to cooking with salt.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/how-t...dium=email

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
04-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I use less and less salt while cooking, but I love to sprinkle some Fleur de Sel on my steak, and a little of my finest olive oil. Tasty!

Ümläuts mäkës mëtäl heävÿ
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2010, 04:02 PM
I do have a few types of salt in our house. A Celtic grey sea salt(kinda of a wet-type), Kosher flaked, Pink Himalayan chunk( used in a grinder), a fine textured Unrefined Sea Salt used at the table and a India Black Mineral Salt. I use them for different tastes in the things I cook. The only one which is a bit different is the India one,it has a "egg" smell and taste to it. Being that they are quality salts a small amount goes quite aways in a recipe.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
04-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Course Kosher Salt and Lawry's Seasoned Salt. I love using smoked Paprika.
04-27-2010, 08:40 PM
I use sea salt in just about everything, the exception being when I boil water for vegetables in the steamer or for pasta, then it's good old iodized.

04-28-2010, 12:46 AM
i always keep a bottle of Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning in my kitchen. For plain salt I ditched regular and lite salt for Sea Salt.
04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
(04-28-2010 12:46 AM)GillGrylls Wrote:  i always keep a bottle of Lawry's Seasoned Salt and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning in my kitchen. For plain salt I ditched regular and lite salt for Sea Salt.

Same here. I mainly use sea salt and kosher salt for just about everything. I guess I'll need to look for other sources of iodine...lol
04-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I agree with several folks above. I use less and less but when I do I like to use something exotic like the pink Himalayan crystals. Tasty and makes my Buddhist heart glad!
Isn't it fascinating how some things like pasta need the salt in the cooking process and some other foods (like frying corn tortillas) are best off when the salt is added at the end?
04-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Garlic Salt
I use garlic salt in part because I seldom use garlic. While I don't dislike garlic, I find its flavour-enhancing qualities only marginally enjoyable and certainly unworthy of the residual body odour I tend to experience the following day as a result.

The use of garlic salt provides just a hint of the real thing (by no means a substitute,) thus resulting in slightly more flavour than straight NaCl.