Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What about salt?
05-23-2010, 08:13 PM
RE: What about salt?
Funny, after reading this thread, I had to get up and look to see what I had currently. Yes to Mortons (tried and true), Trader Joe's Sea salt, an Alder smoked salt that I save for BBQ rubs, and my go to season salt Pappy's. Great for the grill, and I keep a smaller shaker for the table.

And Old Honda Rider, it wasn't till Alton Brown did an episode of "Good Eats" on the subject of salt did I know the difference. A lot of the regional salts do have slightly different tastes, due to the other minerals that were around the salt when it was mined/processed/evaporated. If you can find the episode on YouTube its worth a watch, very interesting.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2010, 06:13 PM
My Mom brought me some orange salt back from Maui, and I really like it.

I use kosher for most cooking, and have the Maui and a couple of others for table seasoning. One of them is kinda wet, and fairly mild (name unknown). The other is a sea salt that came in a grinder, which I love to put on Honey Crisp apples when their around. Its nice and strong, and does not melt easily, so you get that crunchy bite every now and then.

There's just something about a nice salt added to a grilled piece of protein (or vegetables). In moderation, of course. No need to brine your ticker (not good).
05-26-2010, 05:53 AM
I don't use salt in cooking ever (if a recipe calls for it, I ignore it). I am more likely to throw in tamari or something like that. I have kosher salt in the house for guests but I just don't like using it. Does mean eating out is sometimes unpleasant because I am so used to not having it. Only exception is when I am drunk and buy a bag of chips. They just have to be coated in salt and vinegar...

With all of my dietary restrictions, I'm left with lipstick and water
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2010, 09:55 AM
n. [Geology] ID: 437

A mushroom-shaped or plug-shaped diapir made of salt, commonly having an overlying cap rock. Salt domes form as a consequence of the relative buoyancy of salt when buried beneath other types of sediment. The salt flows upward to form salt domes, sheets, pillars and other structures. Hydrocarbons are commonly found around salt domes because of the abundance and variety of traps created by salt movement and the association with evaporite minerals that can provide excellent sealing capabilities.
04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
I use kosher salt for everything.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
05-05-2011, 05:47 AM
With a houseful of high blood pressure patients and for obvious health reasons I have switched to Kosher for anythings that's brined and sea salt in a grinder for cooking and the table. For some reason sea salt is saltier then manmade salt. I've noticed that you use less in cooking and on your food. I don't know if that's psycological or a fact, anyone care to weigh on that?

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
05-05-2011, 05:57 AM
We use Maldon Sea Salt flakes....(don`t use any for the kids food) - I remember my father pouring salt over his food, great mounds of it, (he died of a heart attack aged 60).

I notice a lot of TV chefs tend to flavour by dipping their hands into some kind of salt container and sprinkling over the food - so I am guessing it is probably some type of sea salt flakes.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
05-05-2011, 06:12 AM
It is either that (sea salt) or Kosher salt.
05-05-2011, 06:14 AM
I have not heard of Kosher salt? Kosher meat but not salt?

Living the dream over here in Blighty
05-05-2011, 06:26 AM
This explains the difference between table, sea, and kosher salt.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and-c...index.html