Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recipes for Breast Cancer Healing and the "Kitchen Phobic"?
10-31-2011, 08:48 AM
RE: Recipes for Breast Cancer Healing and the "Kitchen Phobic"?
All is going ... well. I pause, only because "well" is such a relative term when you are being injected with chemicals so toxic they need to install a special "Power Port" in your chest wall to make sure everything goes where it should.

Seriously though, she is a tough Vermont girl and is pretty remarkable in that she has actually gained fitness while on Chemo. It seems like cruel and unusual punishment that with all the rest of her hair "leaving" that she still needs to shave her legs. All that said, she has her last chemo appointment Thursday (8 total) and will have surgery the day before Thanksgiving. Then it will be radiation for six weeks and five years of Hormone therapy. She is staying positive and is determined to put this into remission and become one of the many positive statistics.

It has been a challenge at times to prep meals that appeal. Whereas we were fairly diverse in our culinary habits before, I am finding that the old 50's style casseroles are what she has craved the most. They are all fairly bland, hearty dishes that really are "comfort food".

I love the idea of Habanero and Honey. I grew Jalepenos this year and took the suggestion from here to pickle them like you would a butter crunch pickle... Good but they are HOT! I like hot foods but these are almost out of control!

Thanks all for remembering us! it is much appreciated!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2011, 09:20 AM
I'm glad to hear an update! I hope that the surgery will go smoothly and the process you have ahead of you will be successful! I hope that you both can get plenty of rest too Smile

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Glad that she is close to the finish line on chemo, and nice to hear that she still has a decent appetite! Seems like someone's floated a Shepherd's Pie recipe around here somewhere, so yummy and perfect for the impending cold weather (or the current cold 'n' snow for our east coast friends....). If '50s-style comfort food is what the lady wants, then whip it on up, Bobby Crocker! Tongue

I do believe that pickled jalapeno was from me (hubby's idea, actually), nice to hear someone took the leap. Yup, they're HAWT alright, but it's a good burn!

Prayers and good vibes that she builds up strength in the next few weeks prior to surgery. So happy to hear that you folks are remaining upbeat and planning far into the future...there is power in positive thinking! Keep us posted.....

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
11-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Very good news, Counselor, and thank you. Please keep us posted Smile

Some of those 50's casseroles are my go-to comfort foods, even though I'd be hard pressed to admit that in certain circles Blush Before it was au gratin and alfredo, it was scalloped and white sauce with cheese LOL

"I will quietly resist."
11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Just a brief update... Chemo is complete!

All is well with Mrs. Counselor, though having zero nose hair makes for interesting head cold side effects.

We have a meeting this Friday with her surgeon, whom we expect will tell us the final tumor size will be under 1cm. Surgery is scheduled for the day before Thanksgiving, which will certainly make for a new family definition for this national holiday. No turkey this year, just a happy Italian meal of homemade sauce/gravy and homemade ravioli. Hopefully, she will feel like joining us!

Radiation will follow shortly after that and she should be able to return to her kindergarten kids towards the end of February.

Hope everyone has a great holiday!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
11-15-2011, 01:58 PM
So glad to hear that Mrs. Counselor is going to be getting through this...

Best Wishes...
Stephen
11-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Good to hear from you Counselor! I'm glad to hear that the chemo is done and praying that the next two phases go by quickly and successfully!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Great news Counselor! Wishing you guys the best for the holidays and a speedy recovery for the Missus! Enjoy that Italian dinner, maybe get a big ol' bottle of red vino to wash it down with? I miss my Grandmothers' home made pastas and sauces (Immigrant from Italy circa 1935), she was cooking for the whole family well into her 90's and, sadly, passed away several years ago at 102! Our job as kids was to roll out the precut dough into shells or whatever type pasta she made, and to make sure there were no left overs! Have a great Holiday everyone, whatever you're eating!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Praying for continued good news and blessings for you and Mrs. Counselor! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
11-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Fabulous news Mr. and Mrs. Counselor!! Have a wonderful holiday!!