Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recipes for Breast Cancer Healing and the "Kitchen Phobic"?
11-16-2011, 06:51 PM
RE: Recipes for Breast Cancer Healing and the "Kitchen Phobic"?
It's good to hear that Mrs. C is doing good!!

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey hey Counselor, curious to know the results of your wife's surgery.....check-in w/us when you have a chance! Hope that Italian Thanksgiving feast was enjoyable!

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
12-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Funny you should post as I was thinking it time to post...

The surgery went well. Clean margins were achieved. however, they did find quite a bit more cancer in her lymph nodes than planned. She actually has had all her lymph nodes removed and has a very fun external drain for all the lymph fluid with nowhere to go...

Unfortunately, this means more extensive radiation, longer hormone therapy and perhaps some mild chemo administered in pill form for the next several years (perhaps 10 or more). Fortunately, the prognosis is good, and no worse than before treatments began, about a 5% chance of recurrence. that number goes up to 30-50% chance if she does nothing. Kinda a no brainer...

Also on the plus side, after close to 20 years of marriage, we decided it was time for a change and 1 1/2 yrs ago our daughter, Kayleigh, was born. If we had waited another year, she would not have been possible.

The requested Ravioli and chocolate pie for Thanksgiving were a hit! I wish I could say that of the 65 ravioli my dad and me made that there were leftovers, but after we raided the fridge late that morning, there was nothing left! Smile

Nothing to do now but continue to plan for the future! We have been looking online at various heirloom seed companies 2012 offerings and planning our 2012 garden. Hard to believe we are thinking seeds now... has not even really snowed here in VT...

Thanks all for thinking of us!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
01-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Well, its time for another update. I know I should probably begin a different thread for this update/topic, but it seems established so why change... Feel free to add your recipes, suggestions should you have any as we are always looking for additions to the cookbook the cancer center and myself are working on. Albeit slowly, but we are working on one...

Mrs. C has begun radiation and will be done with her 2 hr everyday commute on Feb 20. I am not sure if she is declared cancer free at that point as it will be the end of the major forms of treatment, but we will be commute free and that's certainly a plus. Her hair is growing back, Finally! Hard to believe we both got used to her without hair, but watching it grow back has been fun. You just don't realize all the silly places you have hair until its all gone and slowly grows back. She was able to put mascara on for the first time the other day and commented to me that she had not found it worth it to put any on her one eyelash previously.

Though surgery was certainly the worst part of the process for me, she is really hating Radiation. having had a complete lymph node dissection she is finding that radiation is really causing a buildup of lymph fluid that now has nowhere to go. Massage is helping but it looks like a compression cuff is in her future. Even after one week her skin is already beginning to show the effects of radiation and good moisturizers applied often is essential. Her spirits have been good throughout, but lately she has been much more her normal self and has even come to terms with the chemo induced menopause and all the fun that brings - hot flashes, night sweats etc. Essentially, all is well, thanks for the kind thoughts/ words and we will keep you all posted as this process evolves. We are certainly looking forward to bringing little Ms. C to her first show and putting this rather large speed bump on the road of life in the rear view mirror.

Cheers!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
01-13-2012, 07:25 AM
(01-13-2012 07:00 AM)Counselor Wrote:  Well, its time for another update. I know I should probably begin a different thread for this update/topic, but it seems established so why change... Feel free to add your recipes, suggestions should you have any as we are always looking for additions to the cookbook the cancer center and myself are working on. Albeit slowly, but we are working on one...

Mrs. C has begun radiation and will be done with her 2 hr everyday commute on Feb 20. I am not sure if she is declared cancer free at that point as it will be the end of the major forms of treatment, but we will be commute free and that's certainly a plus. Her hair is growing back, Finally! Hard to believe we both got used to her without hair, but watching it grow back has been fun. You just don't realize all the silly places you have hair until its all gone and slowly grows back. She was able to put mascara on for the first time the other day and commented to me that she had not found it worth it to put any on her one eyelash previously.

Though surgery was certainly the worst part of the process for me, she is really hating Radiation. having had a complete lymph node dissection she is finding that radiation is really causing a buildup of lymph fluid that now has nowhere to go. Massage is helping but it looks like a compression cuff is in her future. Even after one week her skin is already beginning to show the effects of radiation and good moisturizers applied often is essential. Her spirits have been good throughout, but lately she has been much more her normal self and has even come to terms with the chemo induced menopause and all the fun that brings - hot flashes, night sweats etc. Essentially, all is well, thanks for the kind thoughts/ words and we will keep you all posted as this process evolves. We are certainly looking forward to bringing little Ms. C to her first show and putting this rather large speed bump on the road of life in the rear view mirror.

Cheers!

Having had a relative who just went through this las year, I know where you're at. Chemo is the worst! ((hugs)) and prayers sent your way. Thanks for the update!