Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OHR's Apple Pie
10-04-2011, 06:10 PM
OHR's Apple Pie
Ah, 'tis fall and a man's thoughts turns to,

DESSERT!! (Not love, alas, it's been a loooooong time. But I digress)

I found this very basic apple pie recipe and MAN it's TASTY!!

Note that I didn't make the crust by hand, I simply bought 2 of the frozen kind. OK, call me lazy, I'm good with that. 8-)

Abt 4 to 5 cups of baking apples, peeled and sliced up into Angstrom-widths.
2 tsp lemon juice (I actually used 4 because I like how the tart cuts through the sweetness)
1 cup sugar (remember what I said about lemon juice? Well, 1 cup of sugar is your answer)
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinammon (I used about 1½)
2 tbsp butter. (NOT MARGARINE. My thoughts on margarine have been made oh-so-clear in the past. I trust you were paying attention.) Smile
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp H2O
2 prepared pie shells

Toss apple slices with lemon juice. Lemon juice helps the fruit from turning brown. Combine sugar, flour, salt, then add applies. Toss briskly. Pour onto crust. Add dabs of butter here and there. Put 2nd pie crust on top, slice here and there to allow steam to escape.

Beat egg and water, brush mixture on top crust.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 and bake for 40 minutes. Use the colour of the top crust to guide your baking time. It should be nicely browned.

Remove from oven. DO NOT EAT RIGHT AWAY lest you need treatment at the local burn unit. Let stand for at least one hour. Trust me on this, k?

Enjoy with real vanilla ice cream. Very, very tasty.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2011, 10:33 PM
RE: OHR's Apple Pie
Yummy!!! I like a crumble topping, though - any recipe for that?

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
10-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Uhhhh, feel free to throw that bad boy inna box and ship it south.....can you get it here by tomorrow?

Speaking 'o' The South, ever had a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie? A most delicious culinary contradiction, fer sure!

OK, I really don't know if cheese on pie originated as a Southern tradition, but I never heard of/had it until I moved here. And this isn't really The South, but it's gettin' there....

Also, I seem to recall the Hubster sayin' that his grandma (a Southern gal) added pats of butter....wait....folded softened pats of butter into her crust to make it flaky.

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
10-05-2011, 01:00 PM
(10-04-2011 10:36 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  Uhhhh, feel free to throw that bad boy inna box and ship it south.....can you get it here by tomorrow?

Speaking 'o' The South, ever had a slice of cheddar cheese on apple pie? A most delicious culinary contradiction, fer sure!

OK, I really don't know if cheese on pie originated as a Southern tradition, but I never heard of/had it until I moved here. And this isn't really The South, but it's gettin' there....

Also, I seem to recall the Hubster sayin' that his grandma (a Southern gal) added pats of butter....wait....folded softened pats of butter into her crust to make it flaky.

DECADES ago, I worked as a server in a restaurant in So. Cal. We served apple pie plain, with ice cream, or with a slice of cheddar. I was amazed at how many people ordered it with the cheddar. Yummy!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
10-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Oh my I grew up with both sides of my family having ice cream and the cheddar cheese, but it needs to be a nice sharp cheddar say a 4 or 6 year old one.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I told my 15 y.o. son to try cheddar with his pie the next time and he gave me a funny look. His favorite baked item is pie. In fact he asks for a pie on his birthday instead of cake. I told him it would taste great, he wouldn't believe me. I think I will have him try it next time I make an apple pie.
10-05-2011, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2011 08:47 PM by Rey.)
That pie looks pretty Good! Save me a piece? No cheese on it for me though, I just like a good hunk of vanilla a la mode on top.

I'm another that likes pie over cake for a birthday, just look up my last one in the birthday thread...

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
10-05-2011, 08:52 PM
(10-05-2011 08:45 PM)Rey Wrote:  That pie looks pretty Good! Save me a piece? No cheese on it for me though, I just like a good hunk of vanilla a la mode on top.

I'm another that likes pie over cake for a birthday, just look up my last one in the birthday thread...

I remember that one..it looked delish!!
10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
(10-05-2011 05:01 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Oh my I grew up with both sides of my family having ice cream and the cheddar cheese, but it needs to be a nice sharp cheddar say a 4 or 6 year old one.

Agreed. Gotta have a nice sharp "tang" to provide the proper salty flavor to compliment the sweetness of the pie....

I imagine the folks in yer neck 'o' the woods put cheese on everything....not that there's anything wrong with that.... Big Grin

A favorite saying in Casa de burma.girl: "You can never have too much cheese..."

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
11-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh Thank You! With your help (your recipe) I baked the best apple pie I have ever made. I am new to the forum & the day after I joined, I was already in the kitchen making the magic happen (lol like Bubba used to say). Oh thank you for sharing it. I did use frozen pie crust but I intend to try your vodka pie crust recipe for this Thurs Fest!

Cheers ~ Mystic Mistress ~ ~~)Heart