Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
OHR's Apple Pie
01-23-2012, 12:59 AM
RE: OHR's Apple Pie
So in the spirit of "cheese on pie," my hubby - the consummate experimental cook - had a bug in his brain about making an apple pie w/a cheesy crust. I suggested making a crust similar to the Bisquick "cheese-garlic biscuit" recipe (minus the garlic, natch...)

Long story short, he ended up w/what we're calling, "Granny Smith apple torte w/cheesy crust."

The crust had a very decent sharp cheddar flavor (using a 4-yr-old aged extra sharp white cheddar) and a "crun-chewy" texture. It was an excellent contrast to the sweet 'n' sour "bite" of the Granny Smith's. We'll have to tweak the crust a bit more so it's not too "biscuity" in the corners, but otherwise I think it would be pleasing to anyone who enjoys "cheese on pie." Big Grin

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2012, 02:57 AM
What an interesting idea! Maybe try mixing shredded cheese into a regular pie crust recipe?

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
11-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Here's a twist on Billie's classic apple pie recipe that she made last weekend. She started off going for an apple dumpling, and kind of morphed into more of a turnover, with 4 distinguishable servings (read: 'clumps') of juicy, appley goodness! She learned the hard way to include a baking pan underneath, due to the fact that A.) She always over-does everything causing the filling to overflow, and B.) She hates cleaning the oven as much as I do! Check these out!
[Image: 100_1137.jpg]

Of course, I had to try mine ala' mode with a little vanilla bean ice cream, sans the cheese this time! Nomnomnomnomnomnom!
[Image: 100_1138.jpg]

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
11-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Boy, that crust looks nice and flaky...

I'm not usually a dessert person, but that looks pretty darn good.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
11-07-2012, 07:36 PM
YUMMY!!!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
11-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Oohh and with vanilla ice cream.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-01-2012, 08:47 PM
(10-04-2011 10:33 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Yummy!!! I like a crumble topping, though - any recipe for that?

SM-my mom's is known for the crumbs. I wonder if this wonderful recipe could be altered to add her crumbs? When the ladies come back from TJ-Maxx I'll see if I can get her to give it to me to post here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user