Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Breakfast Cereals (fruit bats optional)
10-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Wink Breakfast Cereals (fruit bats optional)
Monty Python reference - guilty!

I'm a huge cold cereal fan. My Mom used to say that if it weren't for cereal I might have gone hungry as a child. I still love it! IIRC, Bubba wrote that he enjoys it, too and occasionally sneaks a bowl of the good stuff aka the sweet stuff. I, too, will have some of that when I can. My favorites are Lucky Charms, Corn (used to be Sugar) Pops and Cap'n Crunch. My favorite actually-good-for-you cereals are Raisin Bran, Multi-Grain Cheerios, Rice Chex (with banana) and Honey Nut Cheerios. I will eat cereal at any time of day and sometimes as a midnight snack. Big Grin

So, what are your favorite cereals?

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2011, 08:20 PM
RE: Breakfast Cereals (fruit bats optional)
I like Honey Nut Cheerios, Chocolate Cheerios, and most of the Special K varieties (my kids even eat this up on me...go figure). I have found that most of the sugar cereals don't taste the same as they did years ago.
10-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Ha ha, and how about the good old Sugar Bear? He was always pushing Super Sugar Crisp, no wait, now it is called "Golden Crisp", it must be healthier now (wink, wink). It was always a favorite of mine.

Another favorite, and I really like this stuff, is Honey Bunches of Oats, man that stuff is good. Is it a healthy one? Or a bad one? I don't know. Does it really matter?

When you look at the calories of cereal, from the ones considered better to the really sugary ones, there is not that big of a difference. Some of the so called healthier cereals even have more calories than the sugary "good stuff".

But in the end, I found that cereal in general as a meal is pretty high in calories. I measured having 2 bowls with skim milk near a thousand, and cutting out cereal was the biggest thing that helped me lose weight. But I still like to have it on occasion as a treat, just not every day anymore.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
10-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Growing up getting a once-in-awhile box of Frosted Flakes was like winning the lottery. I mostly had Cherrios, oatmeal, malt-o-meal or toast with jam or jelly. However my Maternal Grandma would buy the cereal that came in the individual size of various flavors, so spending the nite ment that the next morn we could have any box we wanted of the sugary treats.
So I'd have to say a favorites would be the Count Chocula, Frankenberry or Booberry cereals, if and when lightening would strike and my mom would let us have a box.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
10-05-2011, 09:55 PM
One of the only sugared cereals my mom would buy us was Honeycomb.
10-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Anyone remember 'Quisp' with the little alien dude on the box? That was always at my best friends house the next morning after a sleep over, and we'd go through most of the box! My two favorites now are Frosted Flakes (makes a great 'fried ice cream' topping!) and Cap'n Crunch, though it does tend to take the skin off your gums and roof of your mouth!

My mom always bought Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies...little did she know we were throwing 4-5 tablespoons of sugar on them, so her "healthy breakfast" was out the window! Got us pretty wired up for school though!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
I hardly ever eat cereal anymore, but my fave was Lucky Charms. I also liked Sugar (Corn) Pops, but plain with no milk. When I was a kid, it was Malt-O-Meal or Cream of Wheat!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Some of my favorites were Lucky Charms, and Alpha Bits. Even now, when the kids aren't looking, I'll sneak a bowl of their Reese's Puffs.

As far as the "good for you because at your age, you need fiber" cereals, I like shredded wheat, corn Chex and Grape Nuts.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-06-2011, 11:35 AM
I prefer anthrax ripple, personally.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
10-06-2011, 12:25 PM
(10-06-2011 11:35 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  I prefer anthrax ripple, personally.

LOL....where could I purchase this one Big Grin