Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SOUP!
04-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Soup's on
This is a recipe from the Eat-Clean Diet cookbook from Tosca Reno. It is very delicious. My kids even like it!

Maui Black Bean Soup

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 ribs celery coarsely chopped
1 fat carrot, peeled and chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves of garlic passed through garlic press
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp chili powder
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable stock
2 15 oz cans of black beans
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 C fresh corn kernels
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper

Saute celery, carrot, peppers, and onion in olive oil over medium heat. About 8 min. or until onions translucent. Add garlic and spices. Cook another 2 min.

Add stock/broth, beans and tomatoes. Bring to boil then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for about 20 min. Using an immersion blender, puree to desired consistency. Add corn and let simmer for 5 min. Season with salt and pepper.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2010, 08:16 AM
RE: Soup's on
Nice thread addition. I like it. Thanks. Some friends of mine are known to put up with a lot of stuff for a good daily soup.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
06-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Must find my french onion soup recipe.....Vidalia onions are in season and I haven't made it in quite a while.
06-05-2010, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2010 02:04 AM by Neilbubbachuck.)
 Ahhh The Soup!

African Tomato-Avocado-Buttermilk Soup Recipe
------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Categories: Soups and Stews
Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients
  3  lb Tomatoes, peeled and seeded  
  2  tb Tomato paste  
  1  c Buttermilk  
  1  tb Olive oil  
  1   Avocado, mashed to a puree  
    Juice of 1 lemon  
  2  tb Finely minced fresh parsley  
    Salt and pepper to taste  
    Hot pepper sauce  
    Garnish:  
  1   Cucumber, peeled, seeded,  
    -and diced  
    sour cream, plain yogurt, or creme fraiche  

Instructions

1. Puree tomatoes in a food processor or food mill, then press through a sieve to remove seeds. In a large mixing bowl, beat the pureed tomatoes, tomato paste, buttermilk, and oil. Toss pureed avocado with 1 tablespoon lemon juice to hold the color. Add the avocado, remaining lemon juice, and parsley to the tomato mixture; stir to mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and a generous number of drops of hot pepper sauce. Refrigerate several hours before serving.

2. At serving time, taste soup for seasonings. Ladle into individual bowl and have guest garnish their portions with cucumber and sour cream. Pass hot pepper sauce around to add more piquancy.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
06-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Soup is good food.
By Mennen.

Things that you should but at the can store are artichoke bottoms as opposed to the hearts of the matter. While in can insert sword and slice diagonal twice, right where discard can top aparts, in the secret cans of addition....

pardon me, my cat is loving my knee down...

she loves and admires true music....

EVery time a jon anderson Yes song is played, she just goes cat hornitoad

sorry brutus et al, sometimes she does it for the songs that you write also.

i wonder what the frequency is to turn these animals on, for, afterall, we are just our most puerile critic
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Speaking of French Onion... a while back I modified a F.O recipe and turned it into French Mushroom soup.
Instead of most of the onions, I used mushrooms - button, portabella and shitake, if I remember right.
Kept one small onion in there for flavor as well. The rest of the recipe was exactly the same. Camme out damn tasty as I recall.
Gotta try that one again sometime.
06-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Couple of very good recipes in here it looks like! Even though it's summer, a good soup is nice once in a while.
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
My problem is, I LOVE a good chicken noodle soup with real noodles, not the kind with the curly edges used in casseroles. But, I cannot seem to make it properly at home. I slaved over a pot of the stuff last year, and it was horrid! I had to throw it out. I'd love a good chicken noodle soup recipe, that even a soup dummy like me can make.

Throw in a nice clear onion soup recipe - like they serve at a teppanyaki bar - and I'm your friend for life.
10-26-2010, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2011 02:56 PM by 2Beers.)
Well the weather is turning to the season of hot soups, stews and such and I thought I'd share my and my sister's :

Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
2 (10 1/2 oz) cans of condensed cream soups
1 celery and 1 of mushroom
2 (14 oz) cans of beef broth
2 (12 oz) bottles of beer ---NOT LITE-- any kind or flavor of your choice
I've been using a WI Micro Brew called Spotted Cow
1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. dry mustard powder*
1 tsp. smoked spanish paprika*
3-5 shakes of regular Tabasco sauce
1 tsp. each of dry minced garlic and onion*
2 tsp. dried minced shallots*
12 oz. cream cheese (brick type) cubed into small pieces
1 lb. Velveta cheese cubed into small pieces
2 (12 oz) packages of shredded cheeses
1 mild cheddar and 1 of sharp cheddar

In a large 6 to 8 quart soup pot mix the condensed soups, seasonings, beer and broth. Stir well and bring to a simmer.
While the mix is hot and simmering slowly add in the cream cheese and velveta stirring until the cheeses are melted in and creamy.
Then slowly by handfuls add in the shredded cheeses stirring constantly. Do this until the cheeses are melted and incorporated well, and the soup has a smooth creamy texture.
You can eat this right away , but it will have a much better flavor if allowed to sit a few hours on low with stirring often to be sure it doesn't burn or even overnite.
If you do let it go overnite then re-heat slowly and on low to med heat stirring often.

* I've been using spices from a place called http://www.penzeys.com

It does make a big pot full, but it can be frozen. Just allow to thaw out in the fridge and follow with re-heating instructions.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
10-26-2010, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2010 02:50 PM by Laffitupfzbl.)
DUDE! Weird you brought this back up. I just found this recipe in my Abs Diet book, which I begrudgingly pulled back out. Sigh. It will be nice to see them again. The abs, I mean. I have my own "Situation" but it's not like a Jersey Shore situation. More like an Illinois River situation. Basically, if I were to show you my midsection, you would feel like you've been hit in the head with an Asian Carp.

Chicken Noodle Goulash (Abs Diet) Throw something into the pot. Just set it on a burner, dump in the ingredients, and turn up the heat for a great-tasting cold-weather meal.
Servings: 4
INGREDIENTS
2 cups water
1 6-oz package egg noodles
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
2 8-oz cans white meat chicken, cubed
1 10 3/4-oz can low fat cream of mushroom soup
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon paprika
PREPARATION
Bring the water to a boil and add the egg noodles. Cook until the noodles begin to soften. Add the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt to taste.
I say "dude" too much. I know, and I'm sorry. My cheeks burneth in shame. Though I won't say which ones...