Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SOUP!
10-30-2010, 08:28 AM
RE: Soup's on
The beer cheese soup sounds great! I will trade you for …
*Baked Potato Soup*
Potatoes
Chicken Broth
Thyme
Rosemary
Bacon
Sour Cream
Green Onions
Cheddar Cheese
Balsamic Vinegar

Forgive me, this is a seat-of-the-pants recipe.
Wash and peel (or not if you like skins) your potatoes, chop and toss into a 5 qt pot. Keep going till you fill it halfway. Add chicken broth to cover, then add about 1 inch more. Add herbs to your liking, (think of the flavors you like with chicken and head that way). Heat till the potatoes soften, then take your potato smasher and smoosh the potatoes (if you like it chunky) or take a stick blender to it to make it smooth. Depending on how you like your potato soup you are looking for a consistency anywhere between a thin soup, to what I prefer which is a almost oatmeal thickness. You can add more chicken broth to adjust the consistancy.
Meanwhile, you should have been cooking the bacon, chopping green onions, and grating cheese.
Bowl up, and garnish with bacon, sour cream, green onions, cheddar cheese, and balsamic vinegar to your liking.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2010, 07:42 AM
French Onion Soup

1/2 C butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 pounds onion, sliced (6 Cups)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp flour
10 1/2 C beef broth (your own or store bought)
2 cloves garlic chopped fine
1 bay leaf

Heat the butter and olive oil, stir in onions. Cook covered over fairly low heat, stirring occasionally until onions are transparent, about 20 minutes. Uncover, add salt and sugar. Increase heat and continue to cook 20 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Sprinkle flour over onions then cook and stir a few minutes to cook flour. Add broth, garlic and bay leaf. Simmer, partly covered for 30 minutes. (Do not boil, but make sure it is hot enough that it is steaming.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Ladle into bowls, add croutons and grated mozzarella or Swiss gruyere and parmesan cheese as you desire and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes.

Croutons

1 loaf french bread
1/2-1 C butter melted
garlic powder to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Slice bread, add garlic powder to melted butter. Quickly dip bread on each side in melted butter. Set on jelly roll pan or cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown then turn over. Remove from oven when both sides are golden and the bread has no soft spots.
11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Ohhh myyyy.... YUM!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
11-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Dawn and I agreed tonight, while the north wind tried desperately to tear down my chimney...
To forgo anything that took more than ten minutes to prepare for dinner.

Campbells Select Tomato Bisque (with frozen basil from our stash from summer) and a thick grilled cheese won out.
For a ten minute prep - this was quite good. Even made my chest feel better.
Brutus... did you send this vile wind? (anyone ever ask you that before?)

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
11-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't send ill wind anyone's way! Honest...it wasn't me.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
11-25-2010, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2010 12:18 PM by old honda rider.)
(11-25-2010 12:02 PM)Brutus Wrote:  I wouldn't send ill wind anyone's way! Honest...it wasn't me.
There are the occasional days that I miss living in Alberta.

But today ain't one of them.
(10-30-2010 08:28 AM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  The beer cheese soup sounds great! I will trade you for …
*Baked Potato Soup*...

This appears to be very similar to a potato-leek soup that my mom makes on occasion.

To make it, take a leek, put it in a pot... Angel

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
12-10-2010, 11:36 PM
(11-10-2010 07:42 AM)RN-PRN Wrote:  French Onion Soup

1/2 C butter
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 pounds onion, sliced (6 Cups)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
3 Tbsp flour
10 1/2 C beef broth (your own or store bought)
2 cloves garlic chopped fine
1 bay leaf

Heat the butter and olive oil, stir in onions. Cook covered over fairly low heat, stirring occasionally until onions are transparent, about 20 minutes. Uncover, add salt and sugar. Increase heat and continue to cook 20 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Sprinkle flour over onions then cook and stir a few minutes to cook flour. Add broth, garlic and bay leaf. Simmer, partly covered for 30 minutes. (Do not boil, but make sure it is hot enough that it is steaming.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Ladle into bowls, add croutons and grated mozzarella or Swiss gruyere and parmesan cheese as you desire and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes.

Croutons

1 loaf french bread
1/2-1 C butter melted
garlic powder to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Slice bread, add garlic powder to melted butter. Quickly dip bread on each side in melted butter. Set on jelly roll pan or cookie sheet. Bake until golden brown then turn over. Remove from oven when both sides are golden and the bread has no soft spots.

Almost duplicate to the recipe I used, RN. Replace 1 of the cups of beef broth with 1 cup of red wine and add a couple sprigs of fresh thyme. Smelled amazing cooking!! I did the croutons with the gruyere cheese. A Tyler Florence Recipe -- mmmm, yummy! the soup was good too Wink
03-06-2011, 01:57 PM
I made chicken rice soup for our church luncheon today. It was the first time I had ever made it. People inhaled, and there were about 10 other soups to choose from. Shall I post the recipe?

03-06-2011, 02:16 PM
(03-06-2011 01:57 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  I made chicken rice soup for our church luncheon today. It was the first time I had ever made it. People inhaled, and there were about 10 other soups to choose from. Shall I post the recipe?

Please do!!
03-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Chicken Rice soup
6 stalks of celery
1 and a half medium onions(or two whole)
6 large carrots
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 and 2/3 cup brown rice
4 teaspoons garlic
salt and pepper(about a teaspoon each)
water to cover ingredients
large kettle(3 quarts or larger)

Clean celery, peel the carrots and onions.
Cut two of the carrots, and two of the stalks of celery in half, and put in kettle. Put the 1/2 onion in, and the chicken thighs. Pour enough water in to cover the ingredients, plus about an inch more. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper.
Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken thighs are done.
While that is cooking, chop the rest of the vegetables(4 carrots, 4 stalks of celery, the whole onion) and put in a bowl.
When the chicken thighs are done, remove the vegetables(carrots, celery, onion) and chicken(put on a plate or in a bowl), and pour the rice and the new cut up vegetables into the kettle. Let it simmer while you cut the chicken into small cubes, and stir the pot once in a while.
Slice up the carrots that cooked with the chicken. (Throw out the onion and celery that cooked with the chicken, they will be too soft to cut up). Add the chicken and carrots back to the soup, and let the soup simmer until the rice is done(about an hour).
You might need to add more water while this is cooking, as the rice soaks up a lot of the broth.
This took about 2 hours to make.