Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SOUP!
04-03-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: SOUP!
Due to Mother Nature and Father Winter still discussing when spring should arrive I thought this thread might need a gentle nudge.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-22-2015, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2015 04:48 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
The soup has been much appreciated this cold winter!

I'm going to share a very generic recipe from my wife's "Grandma Eva." She passed several years ago at 93. Every Monday night we went to her house for amazing chicken soup in addition to breaded baked chicken legs, stuffed mushrooms, incredible salad, side of pasta, broccoli, etc.

My lovely wife makes the soup every winter and it goes something like this:

Take a whole chicken- we like the cleaned purdue chicken in the bag- for 9.99 it's just easier. I imagine fresher is better if you have the time to put in...

Get a huge pot and boil it for 30 min. to create the stock.

Then pour a few ladels in a deep pan and bake the chicken at 350 for one hour.

Chop the "trinity" onion, celery and carrots to preference.

Half gets ground in the food processor and half remains in larger chunks.

Add this to the broth you made and boil it to preferred texture. Add salt, black pepper and a little oregano/parsley to taste...

Separately boil your Orzo, Stelline or Alphabets (little ones love this and it's fun to spell little messages like "I love you" and You're my world." So much fun!

After the chicken is done pick all the good meat off the bones- be sure to cut away fat and tendons...

Toss the veggies and chicken into the broth. Do not add the pasta as it will soak up too much stock.

We serve buffet style. Each person scoops their own pasta to preference and the soup mixture separately. Parmesian and crushed red pepper are added to taste.

I guarantee that you can't have one bowl!

It'll warm your soul on a cold night...

Oh, it's even better with a glass or two of red wine or as grandma Eva used to do- 1/2 red wine, 1/2 7-up!

Enjoy Bubbalites!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2015, 11:24 PM
Soup can be such an adventure, love just raiding the fridge and pantry to see what comes up. My mom is aces at it.

Do deep thoughts and lofty ideals cancel each other out?
01-23-2015, 11:31 PM
My mom makes this stew-like vegetable soup in a pressure cooker. Potatoes, zucchini, stringbeans, whole peeled tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, beans... You name it. Talk about food sticking to the ribs!

I'll have to get the recipe one of these days
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2015, 07:56 AM
The streets of Manhatten Clam
Here is a simple Mahatten Clam recipe I made yesterday.

Ingredients, 1 can clams, 1 can clam juice, 2 small or 1 large carrots diced, 1 medium onion diced, 2-3 ribs of celery diced, 1 can of whole tomatoes, 2-3 slices bacon diced, Italian seasonings (no garlic) with a fair amount of oregano, ground black pepper, smoked paprika, 1 large bay leaf, 1 small can diced red and green peppers, 1 quart chicken or fish stock, chipotle base or hot sauce or both, 2-3 medium diced potatoes, a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce

In a large soup pot dice and brown bacon till crisp and remove from pan reserving a bit of the bacon grease
Ad diced onion, carrot and celery and sauté in pan til softened a bit
Ad chopped bacon and potatoes, sauté till potatoes start to soften and lightly brown
Ad clam juice and juice from canned clams and about half the chicken/ fish stock to cover potatoes
Simmer for about ten minutes till potatoes are almost cooked
Put whole tomatoes in a bowl and crush or break apart, you can use diced if you prefer
Ad tomatoes to pot along with black pepper, seasonings and hot sauce/base, paprika and Worcestershire and remainder of stock
Bring to a boil then simmer till all the veggies and taters are cooked through, about 15 minutes
Ad clams and diced peppers and simmer for 5-10 more minutes
Salt to taste

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
02-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Sounds good Markus. I bet with the chilly weather in your part of the world it was a very nice comfort food.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
02-19-2015, 03:20 PM
I make soups nearly every day for a local ski resort, we are experiencing the coldest winter since I moved here in '91. it was -26 on the way in this morning, -7 on the way home, weatherman says colder tonight. Chili con chorizo today, I used a fair amount of cilantro and chipotle, a good warm up, at least I'm warm on the inside!

03-06-2015, 08:09 AM
Loaded potato soup, this one is great for cleaning out the fridge.
Diced potatoes/ red, white, gold, about 3-4 cups
Diced onions, celery, a cup of each
Bacon cooked and chopped, 2-3 slices
Some broccoli, a cup
Thyme, bay leaf, pepper some Italian herbs, no garlic
Cheese, cheddar, American, Jack, Colby...
Chicken stock, 1/2 gallon
Heavy cream, a cup or two
Sour cream and chives
Olive oil
Roux
In a soup pot Sauté onions and celery in a bit of olive oil
Add chopped cooked bacon and diced potatoes, sauté till potatoes start to brown a bit
Add stock to cover potatoes then bring to boil, turn down heat and simmer till potatoes are nearly done. Add chopped broccoli, herbs, more stock then bring to boil one last time then turn down heat
Add enough roux to thicken to desired consistency, (start small 1/2 cup, then add more if needed) cook till smooth
add cheeses and cream to your liking
Salt and pepper to taste
Garnish with bits of bacon, sour cream, chives and shredded cheese ( all optional)

03-06-2015, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 12:48 PM by Gungawoman.)
I would SO eat that soup right now, Markus! YUM!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
03-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Tomato basil
1 medium to large onion lg dice
3-4 celery ribs lg dice
1-2 carrots lg dice
1 large can whole peeled tomatoes
Note: you can use fresh but you'll have to either poach or roast them first
1 qt chicken stock
Roux optional
1/2 pint heavy cream
Worcestershire a few shakes
Hot sauce optional
Some herbs, thyme, oregano, basil
Salt/Pepper
Bay leaves 1-2
Garlic/ optional
Fresh basil
Olive oil
In a soup pot sauté carrots, onion and celery till onions are clear, add garlic if desired, it's good with or without
Add chicken stock, bay leaves and herbs bring to boil then simmer for about ten minutes
Add tomatoes and return to boil, let simmer for another ten to fifteen mins
Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes, remove bay leaves
In a blender or food processor, add soup in small batches along with fresh basil leaves ( a few leaves for each batch) blend till smooth
Return to soup pot then add cream, salt & pepper, Worcestershire, heat thoroughly
Thicken with roux if desired
Garnish with croutons and your favorite cheese, parm, fontina, Asiago...