Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Love Food But Need To Lose Weight
10-14-2011, 11:19 AM
RE: Love Food But Need To Lose Weight
I guess I'm the opposite of a lot of you. My weak spot is Salty stuff. Nuts, cheese, triscuits, sunflower seeds, etc. So much so I got checked for diabetes. Unfortunately, a lot of that salty stuff is high in calories and fat, not a good thing. I've traded off a bit... I eat a lot of lightly salted summer squash, which is low in calories plus being high in fiber and it seems to have helped a bit. Still struggling though!

RN-PRN... yes, I've been trying to be better about my eating on the overnight. Right around 2am my hunger really kicks in! I know its just my body trying to fuel itself to compensate for lack of sleep but its tough to behave myself in the eating department then! The worst thing about it is boredom, which causes me to eat more. After I get my clients to bed and do a bit of cleaning, there isn't really any WORK to do. Paperwork and checks is all and that doesn't take long. Its nice in a way, I can read for hours, listen to music, play on the computer, what ever I want as long as I'm awake. Lately I've been trying to get my exercise in at the same time. Some of my houses have work out machines, which I make use of. Sometimes I turn on those "middle of the night" exercise shows or just dance. Its too easy to become sedimentary though. I have to keep reminding myself to get off my rear end and DO something!

Intolerant of Intolerance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2011, 11:25 AM
It's all about the combination of diet and exercise. I have cut way back on calories, but until I added in the exercise I wasn't losing an ounce...
10-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Agreed RN-PRN... after i hit 35 my metabolism hit the brick wall LOL...did the "diet" thing, which worked for about 25 lbs - but then big old plateau but once i got to working out - off it came more quickly Smile And at elast for me, i have found that with my reduction of animal fats, replacing with more healthy fats, it has helps reduce MY fat Smile LOL

Peace & Cheers ~
Thoughtful Eyes
10-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Have her add a little milk to the recipe, GN. It worked for Mrs. Fields Wink

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
10-15-2011, 04:29 AM
Good thread! I might as well come clean in here. I have a huge food problem. When I was 20 things were great. I was in great shape, food wasn't much of an issue in any way. Now I have an addiction that is killing me. Which is odd because I was able to quit smoking, though I have enjoyed drugs and alcohol, neither were ever a problem. I haven't touched a thing in the last couple of months as I am preping for gastric bypass.

With food, I am a junkie in an alleyway or a drunk passed out next to a dumpster. I hide food eating, I gorge, portion control is non existent.
I eat good food, bad food, fast food, slow food, raw food processed, food you name it, I've had it. I've been a foodie, had the best of most things many times. Tried losing the weight, working out, diets, beat myself up over it. Pretty bad sometimes.

So now I am in the midst of a major lifestyle change. The kids are grown and moved on to their own lives so it's just me and my wife. Getting back to me is the goal I have and it's been a lot of looking at some ugly truths about myself.

The gym is a regular thing now. I lift weights now 5 days a week, and have started a specialized yoga routine. Damn, hurts like blazes.
Getting the testing done for the surgery. As this is as serious as it gets, 2 out of 100 die from this surgery, they want to know all there is to know about me.

12 vials of blood the other day. Gastroscopy where they send a camera into my belly to have a look around. ECG, the heart thingy and now I have an up coming 2 part stress test over 2 days where they inject an isotope into my blood and then look at me through a rotating camera. In between those tests a 2d echo of my heart.

I have yet to see the nutritionist and psychiatrist but those are coming. I think I may be able to get the surgery near Christmas so that would be cool. Pretty fast in comparison.

This is all the easy part mind you. The difficult bit is going on a strict liquid diet for 3 1/2 weeks before the surgery to get enough fat off my liver so they can lift it up to get at my stomach. How is that for over sharing? I hope you aren't eating while reading. Blush

After it's all done, I will have a stomach about the size of your thumb. Yeah it shouldn't take a lot of eating to fill that puppy up. They tell me to take four weeks off after the surgery because I will be busy eating and trying to stay hydrated. No more big guzzles of drinks after this. Constant small sips of water.

But it's not all gloomy, I will lose a lot of weight through this. Enough I hope to get mobile again and take up a few things I stopped doing. I like hiking and hope to return to that. Some of the hikes Neil has done and written about in his books are going on the list of goals. I would like to become a 14er.

Also Downhill skiing. I did a lot of it when I was young out West. So if I get the surgery round Christmas this year, we will spend next Christmas in the Rockies skiing.

So here I am at the cusp of getting over my love affair with food. Sure we'll still see each other once in a while, and I hope we can remain friends. Big Grin

Dealing with friends who enable my problem is an issue. Some just don't get that there is a problem, others in a sort of selfish way, feel they're losing a friend. I been out to a number of "Last Suppers" with some of them. I never really noticed how I am not the only one with a problem. I will try to offer encouragement and set a good example. Some of them don't like this idea much at all.

I've been gathering mental ques and a few totems to support me in changing my mind around here. Just now, I ordered one of Bubba's drumming hats, Bubba's Bar and Grill of course, to remind me that no matter how difficult it seems to me, like Neil, I can get through it.

Up dates as they happen. Wink

Oh Bleat!
10-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Wow man. I wish you the best through this surgery and may you do the things you love!

I find walking, especially around the hills of San Remo give me a great leg and core workout. I average 1-2 days per week in the gym which is not enough. My eating is generally average or better.

When I was 14-22 I thought I wanted to be a bodybuilder. For some reason my muscles grew easy (after reading Arnold: The Education of a Bodybuilder) from the pounding one and two hour workouts five to six days per week. As a bodybuilder you become keenly aware of body fat. The object in bodybuilding is to reduce your body fat to a safe minimum to show off the cuts and striations of the various muscle groups.

I'm only 5' 7" at best, probably a little less. I managed to pack on 165 pounds of tight body at that time. Then after marriage, the house that needed renovating, the job, the new house, the new job, the schedule, the calendar...
I have come to "this." I weigh about 170 pounds. If I were about 155, I would be in the "perfect place" for my build. It sounds simple, doesn't it?

Well, I have found it to be quite difficult!

Now, you may be thinking..."Big deal, 15 pounds?"

For some reason, at my height, 15 pounds looks like 30 or 40 on someone else.
To make matters worst, I tend to gain under the chin and in the cheeks. I start getting this Fred Flintstone head at this weight with a John Candy chin.

I don't like it one bit.

Besides love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, and faithfulness I also ask for self control.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Jetrow: First....HUGS!!!!! Wow are you going through a rough time! I swear, food can be just as addictive as heroin sometimes! I'm very proud of you for seeing that you do have a problem and your working on beating it! Realizing it might take surgery to fix the problem has got to be scary as hell! I've had a few friends who have had surgery for that, I know its going to be tough. Hang in there!! If you don't mind me asking... are they doing the full surgery or just the lapband? I've heard the lapband one is a bit easier of a surgery but really, any surgery sucks!

I'm really glad to see you have made it to the gym. Keep up the great work! Like I said... I know how difficult it is to change your lifestyle. Just keep working on it and don't give up! if you fall off the horse, just keep getting back on it! Eventually you will be able to stay on it. As for your friends who aren't being constructive.... its YOUR life, not theirs. The good friends will support you!

Intolerant of Intolerance.
10-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Dang, Jetrow! I've only known 1 other person who had bypass surgery. He told me about how much he could eat afterwards (tiny bits of food at a time), but I knew nothing of the prep that goes on beforehand. If you need any help and encouragement during and throughout your "adventure", this is the place to be! And I agree with ladijules---don't let your discouraging friends get to you. They aren't living YOUR life. Do what YOU have to do. I admire you for having the determination to make your life better and pursue your goals!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
10-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Best of luck Jetrow! I know quite a few people who have had this surgery and are doing well. Just make sure you get all the nutrients you need during the day (vitamins, minerals, etc). You are making a tough decision and I applaud your strength and determination!
10-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Way to go, Jetrow! Very brave to take such a huge step. I've known a couple of people who have had the gastric bypass and they've done wonderfully, both through the surgery and after. I know You will do the same.

Please let us be part of your support system. You can vent or cry or anything and we'll be here. Promise.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!