Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Love Food But Need To Lose Weight
11-26-2011, 04:14 AM
RE: Love Food But Need To Lose Weight
Well, a big hurdle cleared yesterday. I met with the social worker of my bariatric team and deems not crazy! Look, I'm as shocked as you, alright? This means that I have three more consultations before I meet with the surgeon. Middle of January I should be cleared to go ahead and they will give me a date then. It's really going to happen!

In the mean time, there are a couple of things I need to get my head around. First is the diet. three and a half weeks before the surgery, I have to go on a strict diet to take weight off my liver. This is called opti-fast and doesn't look like an enormous amount of fun at all. Cereal bar, protein shake and some sort of soup by the looks of it and nothing else. That scares me a bit as I am an out of control eater. I binge, I hide eating, I eat as a response to what affects me emotionally. This is the addiction part.

So as a trial balloon of sorts, next week I am trying a diet of much the same stuff that is available at the store just to test the waters. The plan is from Monday to Friday, a menu consisting of coffee and a breakfast bar, soup for lunch, shake for afternoon snack, and 4 ounce boneless/skinless chicken breast, broccoli for dinner followed by tea afterward. Coming in at a tidy 1250 calories for the day. Very restrictive and repetitive I know, but that's done of purpose.

I think if I can stick to this for the week, then I can manage the three and a half weeks on the opti-fast diet.

Wish me luck!Smile

Oh Bleat!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Jetrow, good luck in your endeavors. It seems like you have a good plan here, and good support from the medical staff as well.

11-26-2011, 08:51 AM
Good luck Jetrow. Once you get to a routine, you will become easier and easier. There will be cravings, but fewer and further apart. You can do this!!!
11-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Does it have to be a cereal bar? There are things out there, such as oatmeal and cream of wheat, that are much more filling for calories consumed than a cereal bar. Unless that is what the doctor ordered.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
11-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Hey thanks youse guysez!

Yeah it kinda has to be. Believe me I know there are lots of things out there other than, but that's the problem. I am like an alcoholic tending a bar. I just don't do it reasonably and can't stick to a limit. It's always way over the top. It's weird too because I don't have a problem with alcohol or drugs. No gambling issue or anything else in life that is at all addiction like.

The Opti-fast is doctor ordered and there is no fooling around or cheating with that at all. If I don't get the weight off my liver then the surgeon can halt the operation, even on the table if he doesn't feel right about it. You see, they have to be able to lift the liver up to get to the stomach. So we need to get it to the point where they are able to lift it and that only way at this stage is the very restrictive diet in Opti-fast.

I don't want to get all the way to the table and then have them stop and postpone it another 6 months. I've been ramping up for this since August when I got my letter that I am in the registry. Before that I've been back and forth on the idea with my doctor for about a year.

After the surgery, it's water for a couple days, then I work through a process of returning to eating again. So after about so many weeks, I can start to eat normal food again. But my stomach will be about the size of your thumb so I can only eat very small amounts before feeling full. Learning to eat again is a full time job for the first month after.

The only thing that really bothers me, other than sticking to that Opti-fast diet is that it's usual for the patient to have a break down a number of weeks after the surgery. This is when the realization that the connection to food that was there, is no longer there. A lot of what makes someone like me happy and feeling secure, comes from food. I've seen people in their blogs totally lose it, sobbing about what they have done to themselves and how hungry they are. Not looking forward to that much at all.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things I am looking forward to and having tried many other avenues, this is the only one that seems viable for me at this point, I am just nervous how that little event will appear to others and what affect it will have on them. Blush

Oh Bleat!
11-26-2011, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2011 08:38 PM by RN-PRN.)
We are all here for you Jetrow and backing you all the way!!! Just lean on us all when you need to!
11-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Hang in there Jetrow!! Sounds like you are doing the best thing for yourself. Good luck!

Intolerant of Intolerance.
11-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks! Started my trial diet today. Egad! The stuff isn't bad but damn there isn't much of it. 750 calories today and dinner is on the way. That will take me up to 1050 and once last bar after for dessert to make it 1200 total today. These Kashi bars aren't bad actually.

Finally the dinner bell is ringing! I'm gone!

Oh Bleat!
11-28-2011, 09:57 PM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2011 09:05 AM by Onebad70ss.)
Knock em dead Jetrow:

Sounds like you have the perfect attitude to tackle this ordeal that life has thrown your way. By the sounds of your posts, I am sure that you will get through this with flying colours...

Go get em!!!!!!
11-28-2011, 10:24 PM
You can do it, Jetrow! We're here for you!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...