Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Barbecue Sauce Recipe
04-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Barbecue Sauce Recipe
This barbecue sauce recipe is the one I grew up with during all those memorable summer afternoon barbecues. I think its very good, not too hot, so safe for the whole family. My mom originally got the recipe from my dad’s mother I think, but it may be similar to others out there. We used it mostly for ribs, but also tastes good on chicken, pork chops, or even the occasional burger. My dad would paint it on the ribs as they were cooking, and we also had plenty to pour on the plate for dipping as we ate. Here you are:

3-4 Tablespoons of Butter or Margarine
3 Tablespoons of Chopped Onion
1/2 Cup of Ketchup (Heinz is preferred)
2 Tablespoons of White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Dry Mustard
1/2 Teaspoon of Tabasco Sauce (can adjust to make hotter or milder sauce)
1/4 Cup of Water

Melt butter and onion together in medium saucepan on low heat 5-6 minutes until onion is soft. Combine and mix rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower to simmer or warm for 10-20 minutes.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

If anyone else would like to post barbecue sauce recipes in this thread feel free.

-Rey

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2010, 03:24 PM
RE: Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Rey, that sounds really good. Do you ever use a little liquid smoke in it?
I have adopted a white barbecue sauce recipe as my go-to sauce, since I have a family member who is allergic to nightshades (tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers). Credit where credit is due, it’s a Steve Raichlen recipe-
1 t coarse salt
1t black pepper
1/2t sugar
2 T minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 c mayonase
½ c vinegar, or more to taste
Combine, and adjust salt, sugar and vinegar to taste.

Does anyone else have any non-tomato based barbecue sauce recipes?

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
05-02-2010, 08:35 AM
Some regions have both tomato based and shall we say a "whiter-based" sauce. The Eastern Carolinas seem to favour vinegar based and often use mustard too. And although southern Alabama uses tomato, northern gravitates to a mayo and vinegar based sauce. Known in Alabama as "white sauce" it is attributed to Bob Gibson of Decatur. Maybe a search under his name would be a good place to begin? Florida also has styles that have grown from the amazing cross section of influences, Carib, Cuban, Mediteranian, Deep South, Indo-Afro......you'll see sauces using tropical flavours and juices, mayo, Chimichurri, hot peppers. Georgia too has distinct regional styles.....but I think you get the point. Maybe my next rant will begin to explore regional identities and how they were adapted but it might read like a book 'cause there is just so much of interest and debate!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
05-07-2010, 09:43 AM
The grill is my principal meat-cooking heat source from April to whenever the snow flies (around these parts, usually late November). I generally use a tomato base for my BBQ sauce for red meat (i.e. beef), either ketchup or tomato paste. If I go with the ketchup, I use less sugar--either brown, or maple syrup or honey.

BTW, I would NEVER use liquid smoke...yikes...that's cheatin'! Of course, if you use a charcoal grill, there's no need. If you use a gas grill and you need that "woody" flavour, throw a couple of hickory or mesquite or apple-wood chips on the grill and close the lid when they start to burn. There's yer smoke...

I also have a smoker that does a fabulous job, particularly on whitefish or rainbow trout, or game meats. Ya just have to watch the wind...the neighbors don't always share the same appreciation that I do for that kiss of smoke...it helps to buy 'em off with a nice chunk of whatever you've smoked...

I have a non-tomato BBQ sauce/glaze that I use for grilled fish, chicken, pork or lamb. It goes something like this:

1 cup of maple syrup (always use the real stuff--a pox on Aunt Jemima!)
The juice from 1 lemon (no cheating--squeeze it yourself!)
1 clove of garlic, pressed/minced/crushed or otherwise squashed to a consistency of your liking
1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp of Dijon mustard
A couple of sprigs of fresh dill, minced

Slather it on and grill away!
05-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I've made these three for years. I got them from a newspaper in Raleigh NC.

My aunt taught me the easiest BBQ sauce. equal parts cola to ketchup. good as is or a great foundation to add to.

Western North Carolina Barbecue Sauce

1 cup ketchup
1 cup packed brown sugar
juice of two lemons
3 tablespoons of butter
¼ cup minced onion
1 teaspoon each of hot sauce and worcestershire sauce

combine and bring to gentle boil, simmer for at least 30 minutes

(tangy says use a can of chipotles and the adobo sauce blended smooth or chopped fine instead of ketchup!)

Eastern North Carolina Barbecue Sauce
1 pint cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 table spoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
combine and let sit for several hours prior to use (if possible)

Lexington Carolina Barbecue Sauce
1.5 cups of cider vinegar
½ cup of ketchup
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon sugar
½ cup of water
combine, slow boil, simmer, cool serve on cooked meat(not a cooking sauce)
05-20-2011, 03:39 PM
(04-26-2010 10:36 AM)Rey Wrote:  This barbecue sauce recipe is the one I grew up with during all those memorable summer afternoon barbecues. I think its very good, not too hot, so safe for the whole family. My mom originally got the recipe from my dad’s mother I think, but it may be similar to others out there. We used it mostly for ribs, but also tastes good on chicken, pork chops, or even the occasional burger. My dad would paint it on the ribs as they were cooking, and we also had plenty to pour on the plate for dipping as we ate. Here you are:

3-4 Tablespoons of Butter or Margarine
3 Tablespoons of Chopped Onion
1/2 Cup of Ketchup (Heinz is preferred)
2 Tablespoons of White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Dry Mustard
1/2 Teaspoon of Tabasco Sauce (can adjust to make hotter or milder sauce)
1/4 Cup of Water

Melt butter and onion together in medium saucepan on low heat 5-6 minutes until onion is soft. Combine and mix rest of ingredients and bring to a boil. Lower to simmer or warm for 10-20 minutes.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

If anyone else would like to post barbecue sauce recipes in this thread feel free.

-Rey
Sounds pretty good!!! My dad and I are on the quest for our missing barbeque recipe since our favorite place of many years closed up and took their legendary recipe with them.
06-01-2011, 06:26 PM
For Old Honda Rider.....

Tangy White Sauce:
16 oz of Mayonnaise
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp.-1 tsp. grated Horseradish( I use the stuff found in the refrigerator section )
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. fresh cracked Pepper
1 (to 2 )TBSP White Granulated Sugar
1 tsp. fresh Lemon Juice
In a bowl whisk all ingredients together well. It's best to start with 1TBSP of the sugar first and allow the sauce to set in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then taste test to see if it needs the second one.

Beer Sauce:
1/2 cup Butter
1 Onion; minced fine
1 clove Garlic; minced fine
3 TBSP Cider Vinegar
1 bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce ( about 1 1/4 cup)
1 cup Water
2 TBSP Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Molasses
2 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 tsp Yellow Mustard
1/2 of a Lemon juiced
1 12oz bottle of Beer ( I used a medium flavored one)

In a large saucepan melt the butter and then saute the onion and garlic until transparent. Then add in the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down until it becomes a gentle simmer and cook (stirring often) about 1 hour. Cool and store in the refrigerator, it's best if used the next day.

Coke Sauce:
8 oz. Coke Soda (not diet)
1 cup Ketchup
1 TBSP Cider Vinegar
2 TBSP Molasses
2TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt

In a saucepan combine all ingredients mixing well and then bring to a boil. Turn down the heat until it becomes a gentle simmer and cook (stirring often) for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the sauce has reduced and is thick. This is also best if used the next day.

Enjoy Smile

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
06-01-2011, 07:21 PM
The Coke sauce looks good! I'll have to make some.

06-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Some good stuff there, but one thing I did not see was the use of celery seed. Try adding a tbs. or two to your sauce, along with a bit of pineapple, and I sneak some bourbon in there as well. And a bit of liquid smoke.

You might be happily surprised with how your sauce turns out.