Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oil: which one?
04-28-2010, 07:17 AM
RE: Oil: which one?
Speaking of oil, does anyone know how to clean up a 600 square mile oil spill lingering off my coastline? Our future shrimps-on-the-barbies depend on it!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2010, 02:31 PM
(04-28-2010 07:17 AM)ePhilosopher9 Wrote:  Speaking of oil, does anyone know how to clean up a 600 square mile oil spill lingering off my coastline? Our future shrimps-on-the-barbies depend on it!
Last I heard, the Coast Guard was considering setting it alight and just burning it away.

Seems kinda, well, primitive if you ask me.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
04-28-2010, 08:02 PM
[/quote]Last I heard, the Coast Guard was considering setting it alight and just burning it away.

Seems kinda, well, primitive if you ask me.
[/quote]

Yes, thanks old honda rider. I also understand that the powers that be have decided to burn that midnight oil. I call it midnight, because it is like a night that is black, and without a moon. I wonder if burning the oil slick is the panacea for the spill, in hopes that we be saved forever more? And is burning the aforementioned oil similar to burning the pram? These are just some things I don't know, but things that I wonder, and things that I don't understand.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
I use peanut oil for all of my Asian cooking (sometimes adding a hint of sesame but a little goes a long way). When I am doing the Mediterranean thing it is one of several Olive oils. Safflower for more ordinary things like frying corn tortillas. Mixing is sometimes a good thing...maybe 1/2 olive oil and half safflower...one gets a nice balance...not too much olive oil flavor. The goal whould be to have the FOOD flavor standout, not the oil. Use an oil so that the oil retreats to the background. Too much oil is not a good thing!

Oh, add the olive oil at the end of the cooking cycle to things like an Italian red sauce so that the flavor is not lost.
05-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I use peanut oil for stir fries and for french fries. I also use sesame oil as well for stir fries. Plain old vegetable oil works fine for fried chicken. I also use lite olive oil and extra virgin olive oil depending on the dish and even though it's technically not an oil sometimes you just can't go wrong with butter.
05-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm a lard girl myself. Spoken like a true hillbilly .... as my "bitter" half likes to say.
05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
This is an interesting subject, by saying this I must start by saying that there is many different lines of thought on the subject and of course many ''urban legends''. For stove top cooking you can use all of the products mentioned in the previous postings. Brutus is absolutely right in saying that grape seed oil is good, you can add canola to this group and of course peanut oil. The thing I like about Grape seed and Canola is the Neutral taste to them, they dont kill the taste of your ingredient(s). Olive oil does a very nice job for cooking but yes it burns at a fairly low temp. rapidly. The one thing you must watch is if your oil is smoking, it is gone! When an oil goes above it's ''useable'' temperature, it becomes chemically altered and in some cases should not be consumed. One trick that I have learned over the years is to heat your pan, then put your oil or fat and in goes the food. I have seen many chefs actualy put the food in, then the cooking oil / fat. When deep frying a thermometer should be used with a maximum temperature of 375 deg F.. Even at that temperature when you are deep frying larger pieces like chicken go to 325 F. When cooking meats or fish, I try NOT to submerge completely, by doing this it will let some of the juices(like blood) run out. This of course is another line of thinking. Going back to stove top, you can use or mix butter with the oils, as butter will brown your product nicely and faster. Again butter for taste is hard to beat in many peoples books, but it also burns at a lower temp., be carefull. One product I use a lot is clarified butter, originated in the French cuisines or another name is Ghee in Indian cuisine, reasons for using are taste (different for regular butter) is the high temperature it takes to burn. This is because of the proteine (milk/dairy) having been removed. My line on olive oil is, yes, use a good virgin type, but at least do not pay an arm & a leg for it, for cooking. The better ones, use for finishing your dish or in a salad. For French Fries, I use Duck Fat.... believe me these are the best fries you can have... I can ear you now, but no, it is far from being not good for your health, it is closer to olive oil properties, it is the best animal fat to cook with, both taste and health wise. And Weezy is right, lard is good for deep frying and has properties that allows you to do things like pie crust like no other.
05-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Great post! Thanks!

Ghee is a wonderful thing...Indian food is all about Ghee!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
(05-22-2012 09:45 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  For French Fries, I use Duck Fat.... believe me these are the best fries you can have... I can ear you now, but no, it is far from being not good for your health, it is closer to olive oil properties, it is the best animal fat to cook with, both taste and health wise.

I was watching Rick Stein go canal-boating and cooking in France a couple of years ago -- what a fabulous trip that looked like! -- and he also highly recommended duck-fat fries. I think my cholesterol went sky-high just watching him eat them....

One restaurant in Montreal I'd love to go to is Martin Picard's: have you ever been there? He certainly uses stuff like duck fat to excess. mmmmmmm

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
05-23-2012, 11:19 AM
(05-23-2012 10:07 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-22-2012 09:45 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  For French Fries, I use Duck Fat.... believe me these are the best fries you can have... I can ear you now, but no, it is far from being not good for your health, it is closer to olive oil properties, it is the best animal fat to cook with, both taste and health wise.

I was watching Rick Stein go canal-boating and cooking in France a couple of years ago -- what a fabulous trip that looked like! -- and he also highly recommended duck-fat fries. I think my cholesterol went sky-high just watching him eat them....

One restaurant in Montreal I'd love to go to is Martin Picard's: have you ever been there? He certainly uses stuff like duck fat to excess. mmmmmmm

Martin Picard's restaurant ''Le Pied de Cochon'', yes, I have, and I do agree, he does all in excess(good)... Not a place you want to eat in everyday but certainly worth the experience. You do not leave this place and go grab a pizza, you do not leave this place hungry!! Crazy guy like me.... When you talk about French Joie de Vivre (Joy of Living) he certainly does not hold back on this philosophy. Just for the info. he also is the Biggest user of Foie Gras in North America. Memorable place to go, in Montreal many other very good places.

Now to get back to the technical stuff, and as mentioned in my posting, duck fat is NOT as damaging as one might think... Just to give you comparison numbers...

Saturated Mono-Insaturated Poly-Insaturated
Duck Fat 35% 52% 14%
Olive Oil 14% 77% 9%
Canola Oil 7% 62% 31%
Butter 66% 30% 4%

Just as a reminder, the Poly & Mono numbers are the ones that need to be ''privileged'' where the Saturated and Trans-fats need to be walked away from. And this duck fat is not only good for fries, I use it to pan fry many things like fish, potatoes and I even made a cake once that was absolutely divine. IT IS all about taste!!! Fries when cooked in the duck fat at the right temperature, are not fatty, it does not soak into the potato and if I look at the loss in the fryer, it is minimal. If you make fries and you make them in vegetable oil, canola is probably the most healthy (hic!), peanut the tastiest and the duck fat IS for taste #1 in my book.