Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oil: which one?
05-23-2012, 01:29 PM
RE: Oil: which one?
(05-23-2012 11:19 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Martin Picard's restaurant ''Le Pied de Cochon'', yes, I have, and I do agree, he does all in excess(good)... Not a place you want to eat in everyday but certainly worth the experience. You do not leave this place and go grab a pizza, you do not leave this place hungry!! Crazy guy like me.... When you talk about French Joie de Vivre (Joy of Living) he certainly does not hold back on this philosophy. Just for the info. he also is the Biggest user of Foie Gras in North America. Memorable place to go, in Montreal many other very good places.

LOL I've never starved in Montreal. ;-) Got hooked on Martin from his cooking series "The Wild Chef": il est fou!

Fois gras is OK, although I'm a little squeamish about force-feeding the poor geese. Does taste yummy though, especially with a good Sauternes.

(Darn, I'm hungry now....)

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-23-2012, 03:32 PM
(05-23-2012 01:29 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-23-2012 11:19 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Martin Picard's restaurant ''Le Pied de Cochon'', yes, I have, and I do agree, he does all in excess(good)... Not a place you want to eat in everyday but certainly worth the experience. You do not leave this place and go grab a pizza, you do not leave this place hungry!! Crazy guy like me.... When you talk about French Joie de Vivre (Joy of Living) he certainly does not hold back on this philosophy. Just for the info. he also is the Biggest user of Foie Gras in North America. Memorable place to go, in Montreal many other very good places.

LOL I've never starved in Montreal. ;-) Got hooked on Martin from his cooking series "The Wild Chef": il est fou!

Fois gras is OK, although I'm a little squeamish about force-feeding the poor geese. Does taste yummy though, especially with a good Sauternes.

(Darn, I'm hungry now....)

The force feeding thing... I dont really know what to think about this. I have seen this where I buy my duck and they run in for the feedings... One was fed and kept returning for more (???) and just for the history buffs, Foie gras was discovered back in the Pharaons age.

When they hunted geese in the spring as they were migrating North, they noticed that the liver was so much bigger and of course the animal was fat for the crossing of the Mediteranean. This was the only time of year that they were (geese) in this condition. They realized that the geese ''forced fed'' themselves to have enough energy for the crossing. And, the Egyptians started Force Feeding the geese with figs. Must be good, (drool) all this and it is starting to make me hungry too... I call Martin le Gros Fou and he calls me Le Gros Tabarnak since he caught me having dinner next door to his restaurant at le Vertige (Thierry Baron's also excellent, one of the top chefs in Montréal). And these 2 are very good friends by the way.
05-23-2012, 03:37 PM
(05-23-2012 03:32 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  I call Martin le Gros Fou and he calls me Le Gros Tabarnak since he caught me having dinner next door to his restaurant at le Vertige (Thierry Baron's also excellent, one of the top chefs in Montréal). And these 2 are very good friends by the way.

Now I'm really hungry.

Sadly, my favourite French restaurants in both Calgary and Vancouver have disappeared over the years (they were on expensive real estate!), and I'm hoping my regular in Ottawa (well, Hull) is still there the next time I go. Haven't been to Montreal for awhile, but I'd like to at least get there for a couple of days in late August. I guess if I want to eat at Au Pied de Cochon, I should make a reservation now?

----
05-23-2012, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2012 03:52 PM by LiveToCook.)
As for wine and foie gras, your choice of a sauterne is sublime. I also enjoy Ice Wine and of course depending on which part of the world you live in, here in Quebec we have a fine selection of Ice Cider. I also make a filet mignon roll with foie gras on the interior served with a port sauce that can go very well with a rich full bodied red wine (California, Bordeau). I must stop this, I am drooling heavily now.

(05-23-2012 03:37 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-23-2012 03:32 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  I call Martin le Gros Fou and he calls me Le Gros Tabarnak since he caught me having dinner next door to his restaurant at le Vertige (Thierry Baron's also excellent, one of the top chefs in Montréal). And these 2 are very good friends by the way.

Now I'm really hungry.

Sadly, my favourite French restaurants in both Calgary and Vancouver have disappeared over the years (they were on expensive real estate!), and I'm hoping my regular in Ottawa (well, Hull) is still there the next time I go. Haven't been to Montreal for awhile, but I'd like to at least get there for a couple of days in late August. I guess if I want to eat at Au Pied de Cochon, I should make a reservation now?

Yes, do make a reservation, telephone number is 514-281-1114,
restaurant is at 536 Duluth East (half a block from St-Denis) Take note that there is NO sign on the restaurant. Talking of Ottawa / Hull, you are talking of a restaurant, what is the name?
05-23-2012, 03:55 PM
(05-23-2012 03:46 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  As for wine and foie gras, your choice of a sauterne is sublime. I also enjoy Ice Wine and of course depending on which part of the world you live in, here in Quebec we have a fine selection of Ice Cider. I also make a filet mignon roll with foie gras on the interior served with a port sauce that can go very well with a rich full bodied red wine (California, Bordeau). I must stop this, I am drooling heavily now.

Ah, Quebec ice ciders! We had a friend of ours drive out from Montreal six years ago with a case of different ice ciders and probably 20 lbs of unpasteurized cheeses. The only one I see out in Alberta is Pinnacle, which is quite nice, but some of the places that only produce 100 cases or so are exquisite.

Indeed, that filet mignon sounds amazing. We could do a cross-Canada meal, if you bring the foie gras and I get a local filet. Big Grin

And this time of year, fresh fiddleheads from Atlantic Canada and perhaps some BC wines? With smoked arctic char....

----
05-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Whoaa, stop that.... This is sounding more and more delicious as we go.... Where shall we do this Manitoba? Cold smoke the fish... as a starter and you bring the Filet and Okanagan reds, I will pick up the foie gras, duck fat for the ''taters'', ciders and ice wines in the Niagara peninsula, we have fiddle heads here in Québec, bought some Saturday and they were at their prime and while playing with the smoker, we can do some duck breast (magrets). You never told me the restaurant name in Hull, always looking for a good place.
05-23-2012, 05:08 PM
(05-23-2012 04:35 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Whoaa, stop that.... This is sounding more and more delicious as we go.... Where shall we do this Manitoba? Cold smoke the fish... as a starter and you bring the Filet and Okanagan reds, I will pick up the foie gras, duck fat for the ''taters'', ciders and ice wines in the Niagara peninsula, we have fiddle heads here in Québec, bought some Saturday and they were at their prime and while playing with the smoker, we can do some duck breast (magrets). You never told me the restaurant name in Hull, always looking for a good place.

Winnipeg? Big Grin

We need some Malpeque oysters, lobsters, and cod sounds on the smoker too, for proper regional representation.

The resto in Hull is Le Pied De Cochon on 248 Rue Montcalm, (technically in Gatineau, I guess) lepieddecochon.ca

Was lovely when I lived there back in the late 70s/early 80s, but I haven't been since 1995 or so. We had the lunch special, starting with paté lapin, moving on with local wild boar and a tarte tatin érable: in the old days, it was more québecois food, but it's gone to a more francophonie menu. It's also much more trendy looking: it used to be pretty grungy.

----
05-23-2012, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2012 06:23 PM by LiveToCook.)
This is getting to be something here, I think that there will be enough food that we will have to pass on some invitations... The way things are going now, we definetely will need products from all provinces & regions in Canada. Cod tungs and lobster from NF, oysters and potatoes from PEI, fresh cod and scallops from NS, mussels and goat from NB, to add from my list from QC; lamb, duck, vegies, mushrooms (wild), cheeses and some micro beers. ON, is in the same boat... Many unbeliveable products, Hey wait here, I will need to rent a refrigerated 18 wheeler... for all the products and what about the cooking tools??? I am not even past the Niagara Peninsula, what about wild pickerel from Northern ON and the wild rice, this could take a few days of shopping and a few thousand kilometers... OH!!! I forget the farmed elk from the Eastern Townships and what about this buffalo farm just outside Ottawa... Should be a feast!!!

(05-23-2012 05:08 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-23-2012 04:35 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Whoaa, stop that.... This is sounding more and more delicious as we go.... Where shall we do this Manitoba? Cold smoke the fish... as a starter and you bring the Filet and Okanagan reds, I will pick up the foie gras, duck fat for the ''taters'', ciders and ice wines in the Niagara peninsula, we have fiddle heads here in Québec, bought some Saturday and they were at their prime and while playing with the smoker, we can do some duck breast (magrets). You never told me the restaurant name in Hull, always looking for a good place.

Winnipeg? Big Grin

We need some Malpeque oysters, lobsters, and cod sounds on the smoker too, for proper regional representation.

The resto in Hull is Le Pied De Cochon on 248 Rue Montcalm, (technically in Gatineau, I guess) lepieddecochon.ca

Was lovely when I lived there back in the late 70s/early 80s, but I haven't been since 1995 or so. We had the lunch special, starting with paté lapin, moving on with local wild boar and a tarte tatin érable: in the old days, it was more québecois food, but it's gone to a more francophonie menu. It's also much more trendy looking: it used to be pretty grungy.
Le pied de cochon, I have been there going back in the 80's... We could have been sitting next to each other... who knows???
05-23-2012, 06:23 PM
(05-23-2012 06:18 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  This is getting to be something here, I think that there will be enough food that we will have to pass on some invitations... The way things are going now, we definetely will need products from all provinces & regions in Canada. Cod tungs and lobster from NF, oysters and potatoes from PEI, fresh cod and scallops from NS, mussels and goat from NB, to add from my list from QC; lamb, duck, vegies, mushrooms (wild), cheeses and some micro beers. ON, is in the same boat... Many unbeliveable products, Hey wait here, I will need to rent a refrigerated 18 wheeler... for all the products and what about the cooking tools??? I am not even past the Niagara Peninsula, what about wild pickerel from Northern ON and the wild rice, this could take a few days of shopping and a few thousand kilometers... OH!!! I forget the farmed elk from the Eastern Townships and what about this buffalo farm just outside Ottawa... Should be a feast!!!

Friends of ours raise bison about two hours away -- I can get whatever I want whenever I want it. And beef. And lamb, for crying out loud, especially from Manitoulin Island. Manitoba whitefish.

Prairie microbrews too: Fort Garry from Winnipeg, Paddock Wood from Saskatoon, Big Rock and Wild Rose here in Calgary.

And don't get me started on B.C. beers, wines, and ciders! Big Grin

----
05-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Knitterbookbinder, I lived in BC and Alberta for 7 years, I have taken many tours of both these provinces, as for beer and wines, let's just say that we should start there... It might take a few days (or weeks) just for the tastings (and recoveries) and final choices. The only statement I can add here is that we live in a treasure chest of unbeliveable products. Oh!! This is somewhat a little side step from the cooking oils and fats