Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Calendar Contest
11-05-2011, 03:24 PM
RE: Calendar Contest
Close but no cigar so far....Hint: 454 metres,,,and no, it's not a Corvette engine!

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2011, 03:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2011 03:34 PM by Dais.)
Hayste Ye Back! Lake Windermere, England. (or Kansas)
Haste Ye Back! Lake Windermere, England. Or Kansas. Wink
Argh! Not working! Haste Ye Back! Lake Windermere, England. Or Kansas. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-05-2011, 03:39 PM
B, is that "The Struggle"?
11-05-2011, 03:48 PM
desertbear....you are oh so very close, but that is only part of the journey:

"Horse drawn carriages, which travelled on the unpaved road from Penrith, found it a struggle for the horses to make the climb from Brothers Water to the summit of the pass and passengers were required to walk to the top. This part of the road became known as The Struggle."

Emphasis on "this part of the road"!

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
11-05-2011, 03:59 PM
dang! thats my one guess!
11-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Hmmmm? Too tough? Ok! Rule change.....2nd guesses allowed. I have a feeling that the birds of prey are circling close to the correct answer.

11-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Ok...lets TRY THIS:

Kirkstone Pass....elevation 1489 feet, north of Ambleside.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
11-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Darn it! I don't know. Can I win anyhow? A for effort? =D
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2011 05:06 PM by lerxstfan.)
As we have been allowed a second guess,
Deepdale Hall, Pattersdale, just off the A592

Side note : there are in fact two Kirkstone Passes - the modern A592 which starts at Newby Bridge, Windermere and the ancient track which adjoins it from Ambleside...

Pecunia in arbotis non crescit

Twitter @angelapgrant Angel
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2011 04:41 PM by Dais.)
Horse drawn carriages, which travelled on the unpaved road from Penrith, found it a struggle for the horses to make the climb from Brothers Water to the summit of Kirkstone pass and passengers were required to walk to the top. This part of the road became known as The Struggle.