Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DEEP FRY YOUR TURKEY?
11-04-2011, 02:47 PM
DEEP FRY YOUR TURKEY?
Ok folks , Turkey day is comin' up for us in the U.S. Anyone out there deep fry your Bird? I have had much success with this method and my turkey always comes out fantastic! I would love to hear from others about how they prep their bird prior to cooking, any extra additions, brining, and such. Lay the awesomness on me ya'all! Bear
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 03:37 PM
RE: DEEP FRY YOUR TURKEY?
You're right Bear, deep fried bird is the shiznick! The first (and sadly last) time I had it and saw it done right was in Florida. One of my co-workers was in an air boat club and they were having their annual turkey day feast out on a little island off the St. John River at their fish camp.(cue banjo!) Well, I get an invite and take a ride on this airboat (454 Chevy Engine, 10ft. prop) out to this island where everyone in the club had brought their fixin's. Once I got the bugs outta' my teeth, I noticed there were seven deep friers set up, seven turkeys all prepped, all the taters, gravy and stuffin' to feed an army, and LOTS of beer! (That was our offering!) Anyway, short story longer, they dropped em' all in at the same time and 30 minutes later I was eating the best turkey dinner I'd ever eaten, before or since!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
11-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Never tried the deep-frying - truth be told, the idea scares me. Seen too many videos of folks burning their homes and selves. I saw ol' Alton do this and his set-up was so involved! Nah, I'll bake mine.

Ren Man does the prep. He brines the bird overnight (I read about Brutus finding the time limit on this). Next morning he dries it off and rubs herbed butter under and on the skin. Then he stuffs it with an apple, an orange and an onion plus a bundle of herbs. Bake it with foil for a few hours then take the foil off to crisp the skin. C'est magnifique! Big Grin

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
11-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Every year we have a Thanksgiving Eve potluck dinner w friends/family (we call it GorgeFest) and we always deep fry a turkey. We found a recipe called "Texas deep-fried turkey," fairly straight-forward and most delicious. I'll try to dig it out and post here. For the past several years hubby has also done a "smoked Peking turkey," basically a Peking duck recipe, but using a turkey.

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
11-08-2011, 03:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2011 03:47 PM by desertbear.)
Sythe, I know what you mean with the knuckheads! I'd have to say the secret to doin' it safely is... do all the prep-work BEFORE you start drinkin'!! The two biggest factors are oil volume and making sure that the bird is DRY, totally dry. Put totally defrosted bird in the cooking pot, fill pot w/ water to cover the bird, remove bird, drain as much water as possible from bird into pot. mark pot for oil level.... fill to mark w/ oil (after dumping out waterSmile)VIOLA! no mess, no fire! always great turkey. enjoy.
11-22-2011, 05:57 PM
There are WAY to many YouTube videos demonstrating the Knucklehead factor. Sad too say, many of them are quite funny ... sad, but funny.

If any of you are Alton Brown (FoodNetwork) fans, he has a very funny hour long show on how to safely fry a turkey. If you are willing and have a sense of adventure, and want to laugh a lot with your family, I would suggest making your own Turkey Derrick. It is really a safe way to fry your bird and ... Good Eats!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
11-23-2011, 02:44 AM
(11-08-2011 03:43 PM)desertbear Wrote:  Sythe, I know what you mean with the knuckheads! I'd have to say the secret to doin' it safely is... do all the prep-work BEFORE you start drinkin'!! The two biggest factors are oil volume and making sure that the bird is DRY, totally dry. Put totally defrosted bird in the cooking pot, fill pot w/ water to cover the bird, remove bird, drain as much water as possible from bird into pot. mark pot for oil level.... fill to mark w/ oil (after dumping out waterSmile)VIOLA! no mess, no fire! always great turkey. enjoy.

I appreciate the info but I'll stick with my oven Wink

(11-22-2011 05:57 PM)Counselor Wrote:  If any of you are Alton Brown (FoodNetwork) fans, he has a very funny hour long show on how to safely fry a turkey. If you are willing and have a sense of adventure, and want to laugh a lot with your family, I would suggest making your own Turkey Derrick. It is really a safe way to fry your bird and ... Good Eats!

I saw that. It's way to complex for me.... Huh

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
11-23-2011, 04:13 PM
OK Sythe, I'll just go ooooon and oooon about how good it was when we get homeSmile
11-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Love that fried bird. I notice that the accidents usually occur, as Bear noted, after a twelve pack or half a bottle of sumpin-sumpin.
HEY YA'LL... WATCH THIS!!!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
11-23-2011, 08:49 PM
I barbequed my turkey one year...it was to die for!

First I marinated it for a couple of days. Before I put it on the BBQ, I microwaved it for about 20 minutes. As it cooked on the BBQ, I added apple wood every 10 minutes. Best turkey I ever tasted!