Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Carmel Corn
11-13-2011, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2011 06:34 PM by 2Beers.)
Carmel Corn
Carmel Corn Regular or Puffy Corn:

30 cups popped popcorn(seeds removed, I use a air popper)---OR---
2 or possibly 3 5 oz bags of Frito-Lay butter flavored "puff" popcorn
placed into a extra large roaster or extra large bowls(I use Tupperware Thatsa bowls)
Pre-warm the oven temp to 200 degrees

3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup + 1/8 cup Dark Karo Syrup
1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

In a large deep sauce pan melt the butter, brown sugar, salt and syrup on low to med heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture is well blended.
Then turn up the heat to med-high heat and stirring constantly bringing the mixture to a full boil.
Boil for 2-3 minutes remove from the heat and immediately add in the baking soda, mixing quickly and throughly then pour over the popcorn.
Work quickly to cover the popcorn and then spread onto lightly greased baking/cooking sheets (15x10x2 size).

Place into the pre-warm 200 degree oven and bake.
Stir every 15 minutes and bake the carmel corn for 1 hour.
Remove from the oven, allow to cool break up the chunks and eat.
Store in a air tight container.

* You may put nuts in if wanted. For each cup of nuts used use that much less of popcorn.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2011, 09:37 PM
RE: Carmel Corn
Microwave Caramel Corn

2 C Brown sugar
1 C butter
1/2 C white corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
8 oz popcorn

Make popcorn in air popper or on stove with little or no oil (I have a Whirly Pop and it works great). Spray inside of brown paper grocery bag (if you can still find them) with Pam or other cooking spray. Place popped corn inside of bag.

Bring brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt to boil in 2 quart glass measure in microwave. Cook 3-4 minutes longer making sure all of sugar is dissolved. Add baking soda. Stir well. Pour over the top of the popcorn in the bag. Roll the bag down and place in microwave on high power for 1 minute. Take out and shake bag well, but be careful the bottom will be hot. If you like you can also stir the popcorn. Roll bag back down and place back in microwave for another minute on high. Shake bag one last time. Dump bag out onto cookie sheets or other trays to cool. Enjoy.
09-21-2014, 09:12 AM
With fall upon us and there is a slight nip in the air I thought to re-bump this thread. Also because we are heading to visit friends in the UP and I was asked to please bring up a batch.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
09-21-2014, 08:50 PM
It sounds marvelous...I miss caramel corn (well almost all things corn) I've turned corn intollerant. Wondering if a puffed rice and simple syrup substitute would turn out... Anyone have suggestions? If I get a chance to try it, I'll post results.

Do deep thoughts and lofty ideals cancel each other out?
09-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Nej1t, maybe rice syrup or barley syrup instead of the Karo? I don't know how it would react to the heating until boiling or then the slow bake, but maybe someone who is more versed with vegan alternatives might be able to chime in.

09-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Great suggestions! I haven't heard of Barley syrup before, and I will have to look for rice syrup. I've been experimenting with maple syrups, agave and honey alternatives also. Indeed I feel a new experiment coming on :0)

09-27-2014, 08:04 AM
barley syrup sounds like the liquid malt extract used in brewing beer / homebrewing.
Basically it's malted barley, crushed, steeped in water then evaporated down to something like 80% solids.
it's pretty sweet, but not like sugar sweet.
09-29-2014, 09:23 PM
Opted for a batch of toasted oats and crisped rice, more of a granola result, may use puffed wheat and rice next- for a more popped corn texture. Used honey, maple sugar and a little granulated sugar. It was all great until I coated my index finger in molten lava, I mean sugar... It could have been worse. I managed to finish the mixing and the sugar cured up properly, so, the experiment worked out... a nice maple taste too! :0)