Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Party Potatoes
11-18-2011, 11:53 AM
Party Potatoes
My hubby's favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner has always been his mom's party-potatoes. They are similar to mashed potatoes, but with an added dose of decadence. Since we are heading to Michigan to visit my family this year over TG, I will be making this recipe, so I thought I would share it. (They are actually better if you make them the day before!)

PARTY POTATOES RECIPE

8-10 potatoes
1 stick of butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. garlic salt (to taste)
Butter and paprika

Cook potatoes and whip with above ingredients in order given. Keep butter and cream cheese at room temperature. Dot bottom of casserole with butter, add whipped potatoes and sprinkle top with paprika and butter. Bake at 350 until fully heated –(30–40 minutes).

Note: I buy an extra package of cream cheese in case the taste is not rich enough & add as much as needed.

Enjoy!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2011, 11:57 AM
RE: Party Potatoes
Mmmmm :-) *urp* These sound great!

Here in the Great White North (I can say that today since my part of Canada has a wee dusting of snow at the moment) our butter is usually packaged in 1 lb bricks. So when you say "1 stick of butter" how much in ounces?

As well, if you were using mashed garlic cloves instead of garlic salt, how much would that be?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
11-18-2011, 02:18 PM
(11-18-2011 11:57 AM)old honda rider Wrote:  Mmmmm :-) *urp* These sound great!

Here in the Great White North (I can say that today since my part of Canada has a wee dusting of snow at the moment) our butter is usually packaged in 1 lb bricks. So when you say "1 stick of butter" how much in ounces?

As well, if you were using mashed garlic cloves instead of garlic salt, how much would that be?

Oh sure! Make me do math on a Friday!!! ;-)

So, around these parts, one stick of butter is equivalent to 1/4 lb, 8 TBS, or 1/2 cup...so, if 1 lb is 16 oz., then 1/4 stick would be 4 oz, right?

On the garlic - hmmm...one TSP of garlic salt isn't much, but it goes a long way. Not sure what the conversion to mashed or minced garlic would be. I'm of the mindset that you can't really ever have too much garlic, so I would try just going by taste, a little at a time. Might need to add a little salt to tast as well, since you're not using garlic salt.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it turns out!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
11-18-2011, 05:40 PM
(11-18-2011 02:18 PM)debskis Wrote:  I'm of the mindset that you can't really ever have too much garlic...

Marry me!! Heart

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
11-18-2011, 07:30 PM
(11-18-2011 11:53 AM)debskis Wrote:  My hubby's favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner has always been his mom's party-potatoes. They are similar to mashed potatoes, but with an added dose of decadence. Since we are heading to Michigan to visit my family this year over TG, I will be making this recipe, so I thought I would share it. (They are actually better if you make them the day before!)

PARTY POTATOES RECIPE

8-10 potatoes
1 stick of butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. garlic salt (to taste)
Butter and paprika

Cook potatoes and whip with above ingredients in order given. Keep butter and cream cheese at room temperature. Dot bottom of casserole with butter, add whipped potatoes and sprinkle top with paprika and butter. Bake at 350 until fully heated –(30–40 minutes).

Note: I buy an extra package of cream cheese in case the taste is not rich enough & add as much as needed.

Enjoy!

Mmmmmmm..........those sound so good!! I LOVE potatoes!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-19-2011, 07:15 AM
Mmmmmmm......doubled!!!

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-19-2011, 10:55 AM
I made mashed potatoes the other day using approximately 3# potatoes for the five of us. I added butter, a little milk and a container of Philadelphia Italian Cheese & Herb cooking creme to them. I didn't have any leftovers and the boys wanted to lick the pot out...they were that good and easy to make!!
11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
It's my turn for Turkey Day fun and food. So I think I just might have to try this recipe. However I may have up 20 people at the house which means doubling or tripling the recipe.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Going to give these a test drive this weekend. Gotta make sure they're worthy of the T-Giving table Wink

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
12-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Olivia wanted me to make these for dinner today. Michael did one better...he took real bacon bits and sprinkled them on top....drool. I do believe he has something there Big Grin