Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Party Potatoes
12-12-2012, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2012 10:17 AM by LiveToCook.)
RE: Party Potatoes
I noticed that OHR wanted to replace the garlic powder by ''mashed garlic''. I would recommend using a bulb of garlic that is cooked...
The way to do this is to take the bulb of garlic, chop the top off, put it in the middle of a piece of aluminium foil, partly fold the aluminium up as to wrap it. Put some olive oil onto this. Wrap it up completely and put it in the oven with the opening (closed) facing up at 300 deg F for about an hour. Check it after an hour by inserting a fork or knife. If it is soft, then it is cooked, let cool a little and then upside down press on the bulb of garlic and all the garlic should squeeze out into the mashed... And being in Canada myself, you can buy butter by the lb. that is separated into 4 sticks... So a stick is 1/4 lb. This is the way I make my mashed with garlic. Also, the garlic being cooked is sweet and much easier to ''digest'' for people with problems.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2014, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2014 08:42 PM by 2Beers.)
Since Hippity Hoppity Rabbit day is approaching I have been asked to please bring that potato dish.
Which translated means Debskis ' potato recipe. Thanks for sharing it with all of us Debskis Smile.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
04-19-2014, 10:32 AM
We're making a variation of this...
Parboil the potatoes whole with the skin on. Let them cool completely. Remove skin and shred them. Mix with 2C sharp cheddar, 2C sour cream, a stick of butter, a wee bit of cream if mixture is dry, a pinch of grated nutmeg, green onion chopped, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Put mixture in a baking dish. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Make sure the mixture is room temp before baking. You can make it a day ahead.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-28-2014, 11:32 AM
(04-19-2014 10:32 AM)Gungawoman Wrote:  We're making a variation of this...
Parboil the potatoes whole with the skin on. Let them cool completely. Remove skin and shred them. Mix with 2C sharp cheddar, 2C sour cream, a stick of butter, a wee bit of cream if mixture is dry, a pinch of grated nutmeg, green onion chopped, garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Put mixture in a baking dish. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Make sure the mixture is room temp before baking. You can make it a day ahead.

Sounds scrumptious Gunga!! Will definitely try it!!
04-28-2014, 06:30 PM
Party potatoes are my fave. When making large quantities, I usually cheat and use 1/2 real potatoes and 1/2 powdered or pearled potatoes. Saves a lot of time peeling, etc.
04-28-2014, 08:10 PM
(04-28-2014 06:30 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  Party potatoes are my fave. When making large quantities, I usually cheat and use 1/2 real potatoes and 1/2 powdered or pearled potatoes. Saves a lot of time peeling, etc.

Hey, Fuzzy! Welcome "home"! Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-29-2014, 07:12 AM
(04-28-2014 08:10 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  
(04-28-2014 06:30 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  Party potatoes are my fave. When making large quantities, I usually cheat and use 1/2 real potatoes and 1/2 powdered or pearled potatoes. Saves a lot of time peeling, etc.

Hey, Fuzzy! Welcome "home"! Big Grin

Thrilled to be back, seriously. I graduate in two weeks, so I get my life back!