Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Breakfast ...
11-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Breakfast ...
So, I searched around for a Breakfast Forum here and did not see one So this request gets placed here ...

I am in search of a decent/ real Southern Biscuit recipe. My mother, for years, has made a "Mile High Biscuit" with baking powder but it nothing like a buttery southern biscuit. I got a handle on the sausage gravy, just still searchin' for the perfect biscuit to go with it...

Cheers and Thanks!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2011, 06:18 PM
RE: Breakfast ...
Here's an old Southern recipe....

5 cups flour
1/4 cup suagr
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening (Crisco)
1 pkg. dry yeast
2 Tbsp. warm water
2 cups buttermilk
softened butter

Sift dry ingredients together. Cut in shortening. Dissolve yeast in warm water, add to buttermilk, then add this to the dry ingredients. Mix well and turn out onto a floured board (add more flour if the dough isn't firm enough). Roll to 1/4 inch. Spread half the dough with the butter, fold over and spread the top with more butter. Cut out with biscuit cutter. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. Any extra dough can be refrigerated or frozen.

Hope these are the biscuits you're after Wink

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
11-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Interesting Scythe, I may have to give these a try they sound mmmm good and in the realm of not so good for you either Smile.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Biscuits made and they are indeed good. I would recommend NOT spreading the butter and folding dough over as it made for a lot of unnecessary work and did not add much to the flavor. Might also cut the sugar in half as they were a bit sweet. They certainly had the texture I was looking for.

Thanks for the recipe!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
For those of us who can't find buttermilk, here's a substitution that works well:

2 cups whole milk plus 4 tablespoons white vinegar.

Let the milk stand until it thickens. It gives the biscuits the same lift.

"I love deadlines....I love the sound of them as they go WHOOSHING over my head!" -Douglas Adams