Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Nature
12-18-2011, 09:49 AM
RE: Nature
(12-17-2011 08:29 AM)BrianW Wrote:  I am a New Englander born and raised, so I love all five seasons. And have been lucky enough to be raised in rural areas with lots of woods and water. Outside is the place to be. When the chatter in my head grows too loud I head outdoors and melt into the world. It's a wonderful feeling to slow down to natures' pace and breathe. We have lots of conservation land around and I've walked all the trails. Now I explore 'the road less taken' and walk the animal paths - often a few steps away from humans - and discover all kinds of things. Ever have an adult moose walk right up to you? Or chipmunks run over your feet playing? Go play outside!

Though I am not a native Vermonter (Mrs. C is though) we too have come to love the five seasons. Though the 5th one make sugaring EXTRA fun!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
Took my Malamute running with me today. Got a prize when 8 deer ran across our path. Luckily my running buddy didn't notice them as they were a good 100+ ft away and he was a bit worn out by then. Its good to have days like today when its just warm enough to enjoy being outside.

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
12-18-2011, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2011 02:02 PM by Dais.)
I dragged my little family out on a local walking trail this morning. Grumble grumble grumble all the way! It was 23*F and felt bloomin' COLD in the woods, but it still feels fantastic to be out and breathing the (sort of) fresh air. I only got the kids 10 minutes down the trail, and 10 back, but it's better than nothing. We saw not a critter, and heard not even a tweet, but maybe they were smarter than us and stayed "home." =)

I love, love, love those fishy pictures! And the deer dashing across your path, SG... awesome. Love it all.

~Dais

PS I just re-read my own message and it made me smile. When I read Ghost Rider (again) I kept thinking that when NP made note of the temperature it always sounded so much colder in Celsius than it did in fahrenheit! (And I just spent five tries on that word - lol!)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-18-2011, 01:57 PM
SG, I used to work with a kid who had some health issues. He was an avid scuba diver and said that he only place his body felt "right" was about 15-20' down. He said that if it weren't for those stupid oxygen-requiring lungs of his, he'd just stay right there forever.

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
12-18-2011, 07:26 PM
So, I woke up this AM and looked out the bedroom window. It looked like 3/4 inch black ashes falling on the snow. My first thought was what the heck is burning?!?! What the heck....On closer inspection, it was black feathers falling from the sky! We have a Cooper's hawk that hangs out here and there he (she?) was on the roof devouring a little birdie. It's really cool, albeit brutal, to watch them. They pluck birds out of the air mid-flight!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
12-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Fast little buggers!
Prolly' the single most impressive bird that I have seen up close would be a Harpy Eagle.
Jacksonville zoo had a massive avian pavilion with all sorts of exotic and rare species.
This eagle was just stunning, and so freaking strong! The one I was close to was a "adolescent", bur when he looked at you, it reminded me of when Richard Pryor would talk about Dobermans showing their teeth: "You think I'm smilin' MF?"

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
12-18-2011, 08:38 PM
I had that Richard Pryor album in high school. Mom didn't approve, but dad thought it was ok. Until he heard about the monkeys.

Coopers hawks have been known to dive bomb humans if you get too close to the nest. Red winged blackbirds are like that too, but Coopers are a bit more speedy at it. And threatening!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
12-18-2011, 11:31 PM
(12-18-2011 01:57 PM)CanyonDancer Wrote:  SG, I used to work with a kid who had some health issues. He was an avid scuba diver and said that he only place his body felt "right" was about 15-20' down. He said that if it weren't for those stupid oxygen-requiring lungs of his, he'd just stay right there forever.

I know just how he feels. It's like a whole 'nother world Blush

I snorkel rather than scuba so I don't have to worry about the breathing thing. But, man, when I come out of the water... well, gravity sucks!

Out here in the boonies, we get all kinda birds. Hawks, eagles and ravens are my favorite ones to watch. I wish I could see the owls but other than being buzzed by one once, they hide pretty well.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
12-19-2011, 12:50 PM
(12-18-2011 01:45 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  [Image: rofl-1.gif]

I love walking in the woods and all over our property. But my favorite place to commune with Nature is underwater. I love to take pictures of my fishie buddies:

[Image: 188605_191293124240960_100000808219598_4...2198_n.jpg]

Those black and yellow guys are Sailfin Tangs. When they get agitated they raise their dorsal fin to make themselves look bigger. They did it a little for me:

[Image: 32135_120206961349577_100000808219598_11...3011_n.jpg]

When I'm swimming with my fishie buddies I feel so at peace and in tune. The water takes me home, indeed.
Nice shot SM! Reminds me of my college trip to Belize in '83. Ten days exploring the tropical reef ecology and another four back on the mainland in the jungle. Saw my first Harrier Jump Jet back at the airport on the way out. Seems they were having an altercation with their next door neighbors in Guatemala.

Shifting & Drifting
12-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks Brian! I hear the snorkeling in Belize is spectacular! I hope to fond out for myself some day Smile

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!