Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cranberry Sauce
12-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Cranberry Sauce
Have you ever considered making your our Cranberry Sauce, instead of relying on Ocean Spray?
I promise you, it’s really easy, and if you have the gumption you can put it in jars and have it when fresh cranberries aren’t in the store.

Cranberry Sauce

4 cups sugar
4 cups water
8 cups fresh cranberries (approx 2 lbs)
Grated Zest of 1 large orange (optional, but it’s a really nice touch!)

Combine sugar and water in a large pan.
Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Boil hard for 5 minutes.
Add cranberries and return mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally, until all berries burst and liquid begins to sheet from a metal spoon, about 15 minutes.
Stir in orange zest, if using, during the last few minutes of cooking.

At this point you can transfer the sauce into a bowl or mould to set up,
-OR-
Ladle hot cranberry sauce into hot jars leaving a ¼ inch headspace.
Apply lids and process in a hot water bath canner for 15 minutes. Don’t forget to check for seal after processing.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2011, 09:29 PM
RE: Cranberry Sauce
I love orange with cranberry. My Mom used to make a cranberry-orange mold for Christmas dinner.....

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
12-19-2011, 09:33 PM
That sounds really good!! Mrs. 2Beers has a really good cranberry relish recipe over on the side dishes thread. It was her Grandma's and Grandma's always make the best stuff.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-20-2011, 11:35 AM
I MUST try this. I have always disliked whole cranberry sauce, but I accidentally bought it this Thanksgiving. I reluctantly ate it and it was really good! Now I can make even better REAL cranberry sauce.

Confession time: 2Beers-all this time I thought you were Mrs. 2Beers. It wasn't until I read this that I realized you were Mr. 2Beers. Blush
Oops....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
(12-20-2011 11:35 AM)Gungawoman Wrote:  I MUST try this. I have always disliked whole cranberry sauce, but I accidentally bought it this Thanksgiving. I reluctantly ate it and it was really good! Now I can make even better REAL cranberry sauce.

Confession time: 2Beers-all this time I thought you were Mrs. 2Beers. It wasn't until I read this that I realized you were Mr. 2Beers. Blush
Oops....
Mr and Mrs. 2Beers travel in the same account.

12-20-2011, 07:53 PM
(12-20-2011 01:48 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(12-20-2011 11:35 AM)Gungawoman Wrote:  I MUST try this. I have always disliked whole cranberry sauce, but I accidentally bought it this Thanksgiving. I reluctantly ate it and it was really good! Now I can make even better REAL cranberry sauce.

Oops....
Mr and Mrs. 2Beers travel in the same account.

No wonder I'm confused Huh

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
12-20-2011, 08:17 PM
LOL..it's ok Gunga it's pretty much me(the Mrs.2B) on and when he comments will let it be known that it's him posting comments Smile.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
12-21-2011, 06:38 AM
FYI if you add a package of cranberry jello and peach or apricot with one can of crushed pineapple the people who usually hate whole cranberry sauce eat this gladly! My familes is really picky and they can't get enough of this! If your feeling bold add some chopped walnuts it varies the texture a bit, watch it if you have lots of relatives with false teeth the walnuts don't bode well with that crowd!

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2015, 08:22 PM
I love to make my own cranberry sauce, and I love the orange too. I tend to use less sugar and water, but I add the juice of the orange which compensates for both. Plus, I think I like it a little more on the tart side---whatever that says about me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user