Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chilean Wine: An Overview
02-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Chilean Wine: An Overview

.doc  Chilean Wine.doc (Size: 36.5 KB / Downloads: 18)

It would be nice to get some feedback from our Chilean friends. Maybe someone could put together a "Road Trip" through Chile's wine country?

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2010, 10:03 PM
RE: Chilean Wine: An Overview
[quote='Brutus' pid='13' dateline='1266001823']

Financial meltdown hits Napa: http://www.nuwireinvestor.com/articles/n...54817.aspx
05-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Nice find. And at upwards of $250,000 an acre it shouldn't come as a surprise. I think too that it doesn't help if wines at half the price are getting favorable reviews in blind tastings. And that's among experts. The average Joe (me) will always be looking for bang-for-the-buck value versus the cachet that goes with the lable on the bottle.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
05-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Hey Brutus,

One of the best kick-ass Chilean's I've ever had was Errazuriz, Don Maximiano -> http://www.errazuriz.com/errazuriz/engli...imiano.asp

It ain't cheap, but it's about a third the price of America's Opus One, and it's - frankly - better - a pseudo Bordeaux blend - ( Cab-Sauv/frank, Petite Verdot!, Shiraz! ), it's HUGE cassis for days: and you gotta like that sort of thing. It's nothing like a real Bordeaux, but with so much fruit power stuffed in your face, it's hard to complain.

I'm not such big fan of Carmenere - IMHO there's too much of that coming out of Chile these days, I think I've had a few that are strong from start to finish - but for the most part, they're like a bad lover, big fruit promise up front, and then they disappear.

Up here in Ontario, I do a lot of tastings at the LCBO - they often have an assortment - well worth checking out if you're in town.

Rock on!

you're never too jaded for irony.
07-16-2010, 07:24 AM
(02-12-2010 01:10 PM)Brutus Wrote:  It would be nice to get some feedback from our Chilean friends. Maybe someone could put together a "Road Trip" through Chile's wine country?

Hey Brutus,

There is a wonderful Chilean red wine-can't remember the name offhand, but it comes wrapped in burlap with a copper top. It's under $10 a bottle and has fantastic flavor. If you can't find anything like that let me know and I'll get the name for you.

Vince
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-16-2010, 10:37 AM
(05-02-2010 08:44 AM)Brutus Wrote:  Nice find. And at upwards of $250,000 an acre it shouldn't come as a surprise. I think too that it doesn't help if wines at half the price are getting favorable reviews in blind tastings. And that's among experts. The average Joe (me) will always be looking for bang-for-the-buck value versus the cachet that goes with the lable on the bottle.

Brutus,
I called my wife to read the name on the label. I highly recommend that you give it a try.

It's "Vino De Eyzaguirre;Wine in a Sack" Cabernet from Chile. I think it was about $8 per bottle and was as good as a $20 bottle.
Vince
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user