Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mobile BnG???
01-12-2012, 07:10 PM
RE: Mobile BnG???
(01-12-2012 07:32 AM)debskis Wrote:  
(01-11-2012 10:10 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Did you catch the show on Food Network last Sunday: it was Flay & Simon vs. Burrel & Guarnaschelli. They had to make 2 dishes each fro 100 people... from food that was going to be thrown away. It was amazing how much perfectly good food is being thrown out by groceries, restaurants, bakeries, butchers, farmers.... everywhere they went they scored perfectly good food. Either it wasn't "perfect" or they couldn't use it (like an end of prosciutto).

Maybe we could check in each town - if we do this - at groceries and so forth for perfectly good food to take advantage of. Just a thought....

That's awesome Skythe! I've always been disturbed by the amount of food that gets thrown out in our society. Even in my own household - it makes me crazy when my kids don't finish what they've been given and I have to toss it, or when something gets pushed to the back of the fridge, only to be found months later in the form of some mutant science experiment gone wrong.

I know there are strict rules as to what restaurants/stores are allowed to donate to charities, but it seems as though we could do more with the leftovers to help people in need!

Good "food for thought" Scythe...I'll start compiling a "Feasibility Study" of sorts with some of these great ideas!
This is what Feeding America does, or used to, when they were "Second Harvest".
Another meal place, The Gathering, uses leftovers, overruns, etc. at their meal sites.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2012, 02:37 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2012 02:38 AM by Scythe Matters.)
RE: Mobile BnG???
Great, Deb!

Here's a link about that show: http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2012...big-waste/

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply