Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Food Under Pressure??
01-12-2012, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 07:35 AM by debskis.)
Food Under Pressure??
I've been reading a lot about the resurgence of pressure cookers, and how, when properly used, they can be an amazing tool for quick, crock-pot-like cooking.

I'm thinking of getting one of the newer models that supposedly takes the risk of explosion, (which apparently was a problem back in the day?) out of the mix.

Anyone a fan of these? Which model would you recommend? What would be a good, easy recipe to start with?

Much obliged!!
(01-12-2012 07:24 AM)debskis Wrote:  I've been reading a lot about the resurgence of pressure cookers, and how, when properly used, they can be an amazing tool for quick, crock-pot-like cooking.

I'm thinking of getting one of the newer models that supposedly takes the risk of explosion, (which apparently was a problem back in the day?) out of the mix.

Anyone a fan of these? Which model would you recommend? What would be a good, easy recipe to start with?

Much obliged!!

Here's a link to a good article on pressure cookers I just read - FYI:

http://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/...000068019/

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 07:43 AM
RE: Food Under Pressure??
Well, to tell you the truth, my mom has been cooking with the same pressure cooker since I was 7. Still works fine, as long as you keep an eye on it and dont let the seal go to crap. I remember having some awful tender roast dishes and some great pork dishes growing up. If I could get Mrs B to use one I'd do that but right now its simply not feasible. I remember the roasts being SPOON tender....thats pretty good! As for models I cant help you, but I can tell you that if you can use that cooker to its fullest potential you can make some pretty awesome stuff in it!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2012, 09:31 AM
My Aunts were taught by my Gram to use the pressure cooker and make canned beef, chicken and venison, soups, various fruits and veggies. Talk about tender Yum! the canned meats are wonderful all you need to do is either make some rice or noodles and then heat up the meat and spoon it over the top(a childhood favorite). If you are interested I can always ask my Aunts for info.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
01-12-2012, 12:28 PM
(01-12-2012 09:31 AM)2Beers Wrote:  My Aunts were taught by my Gram to use the pressure cooker and make canned beef, chicken and venison, soups, various fruits and veggies. Talk about tender Yum! the canned meats are wonderful all you need to do is either make some rice or noodles and then heat up the meat and spoon it over the top(a childhood favorite). If you are interested I can always ask my Aunts for info.

Yum! I will def take you up on the offer of the Aunties' advice...thank you! Still shopping for the best cooker though...no one in my family has ever used one to my knowledge.

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
01-13-2012, 02:17 AM
We have one but I've never used it. Ren Man swears its safe but I'm scared of it. [Image: scared.gif]

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
01-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Ok, for SM's sake, I won't share my neighbor's story about using a pressure appliance.......lol.

My folks were really into pressure cooking and canning years ago. What I remember the most, was the cooking of artichokes, and chicken in one. I think that my step-father may still have it.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2012, 07:04 PM
(01-13-2012 03:38 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Ok, for SM's sake, I won't share my neighbor's story about using a pressure appliance.......lol.

Thank you. [Image: Grin-Huge.gif]

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
01-13-2012, 09:47 PM
My Mother would never let us use her pressure cooker, but she would. She told of explosions at home, but that would have been 70 years ago, when she was first learning to cook.Big Grin

She did a lot of canning and cooking in it... and you are right 2beers, the food was tender and delicious.

02-26-2012, 09:52 PM
If I may go on a "rave", for my lack of vocabulary...

At the bottom is the URL to my review of the Cuisinart electric pressure cooker, model CPC-600 (EPC-1200PC), on Costco's website; written over 2 years ago. I stand behind that review, and recommend this whenever I can. There are some bad reviews there, however I cannot attest to their experience.

I still have the orginal seals, pressure top, everything, and it works just as well as the day I purchased it.

I have learned to make pulled pork BBQ using pork shoulder with this baby. Granted, you can't duplicate open flame or smoke, but with a good homemade or doctored sauce, the results are fantastic!. Turkey chili also comes out like a dream. There are many sites devoted to pressure cooking recipes, and I continue to find new ways to use this. The removable pot/insert makes cleanup a breeze. I use it as a rice cooker, as well as steel cut oatmeal. I like the fact there are many dishes that I can cook, using this one appliance- it browns, sautes, and simmers, all in one. Browning beef before making a stew adds so much to the final dish!

(Stepping down from soap box)- I wholeheartedly recommend the Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker, 3 year warranty to boot! (that may be a Costco perk, not sure).
It's available at other places, including Williams-Sonoma, if you don't have a Costco near you.

(remove the leading underscore from the URL below)

_http://reviews.costco.com/2070/11492863/cuisinart-cuisinart-electric-pressure-cooker-reviews/reviews.htm?page=4&sort=rating&dir=asc
03-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I've got my mum's ancient Presto, and so long as I buy new seals for it, it works great. Yes, it does come with the standard warnings about things that go boom on the stove, but I've never had a problem with it.

And yeah, meats come out *so* tender: my fave recipe is for beef short ribs in red wine....

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....