Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Snow blowers and the fanatics
01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
RE: Snow blowers and the fanatics
I have a dual stage snowblower, and I think they are big, heavy, and difficult to maneuver. Yes, it has power drive...BUT (and everyone always has a big but), the power drive in reverse is very slow, so I often find myself having to manually pull it backwards after every row. This is difficult and tiring, and if I were to buy another one I would get a smaller one that is easier to pull backwards.

Smaller ones are usually single stage, which still work okay for a smaller area. The smaller, cheaper single stage ones usually have 2 cycle engines. These are a pain because you have to mix oil in the gas, and when they run, they STINK. If you don't mind your coat, pants, hat, and everything else smelling like stinky, oily exhaust smoke, get one of those. 4 cycle engines run much cleaner and you don't have to add the oil. An ideal unit would be a small single stage snowthrower with a 4 cycle engine. Not sure what is available in that setup though.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2012, 03:31 PM
Our neighbor to the south of us lets it go until the last possible time frame(our village rules say 24 hours after last snow falls then you need to shovel) while the neighbor to the north of us is a fanatic about keeping their sidewalk area snow free. We will shovel if possible and yank out the snowblower when the snow falls and blows a bit more than shoveling can handle.
Mr.2Beers did put on his wish list for a new 2 stage snowblower as the one we have now is 17 years old and isn't quite as powerful. So when spring rolls around and they are being discounted and room being made for lawn mowers I think we'll be looking to upgrade.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
01-21-2012, 05:28 PM
(01-21-2012 02:01 PM)Rey Wrote:  I have a dual stage snowblower, and I think they are big, heavy, and difficult to maneuver. Yes, it has power drive...BUT (and everyone always has a big but), the power drive in reverse is very slow, so I often find myself having to manually pull it backwards after every row. This is difficult and tiring, and if I were to buy another one I would get a smaller one that is easier to pull backwards.

Smaller ones are usually single stage, which still work okay for a smaller area. The smaller, cheaper single stage ones usually have 2 cycle engines. These are a pain because you have to mix oil in the gas, and when they run, they STINK. If you don't mind your coat, pants, hat, and everything else smelling like stinky, oily exhaust smoke, get one of those. 4 cycle engines run much cleaner and you don't have to add the oil. An ideal unit would be a small single stage snowthrower with a 4 cycle engine. Not sure what is available in that setup though.
wow Rey, thanks a ton for this advice!
I probably only need a little one, so I've been looking at the single stage throwers, and something that I can handle easily,or the roomie(little sister), when she is up to it. 4 cycle engines...hmm. I'll have to investigate that!

01-21-2012, 06:19 PM
I've heard some complaints about reverse being a bit slow, but then I remember last year when we had that blizzard that dumped 14 inches of snow on us, and at that point I really didnt care as long as the snowblower worked. I can handle the slowness, but to shovel my drive....NA!

I'd think for you nettie a smaller one would be just the ticket....because the bigger ones, like my 26 inch wide one, are a handfull to operate. Some of them are made just for gorillas.....like me!!!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-21-2012, 06:24 PM
(01-21-2012 05:28 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(01-21-2012 02:01 PM)Rey Wrote:  I have a dual stage snowblower, and I think they are big, heavy, and difficult to maneuver. Yes, it has power drive...BUT (and everyone always has a big but), the power drive in reverse is very slow, so I often find myself having to manually pull it backwards after every row. This is difficult and tiring, and if I were to buy another one I would get a smaller one that is easier to pull backwards.

wow Rey, thanks a ton for this advice!
I probably only need a little one, so I've been looking at the single stage throwers, and something that I can handle easily,or the roomie(little sister), when she is up to it. 4 cycle engines...hmm. I'll have to investigate that!

Perhaps we should compare notes when its more the right time to buy. We need something small for Mrs. C as well as something that won't tear up the deck. We have a large one that kinda wraps the house and needs to be cleaned. Mrs. C can no longer shovel and I simply cannot do all the snow clean up. She is very interested in getting something that she can walk behind, push a bit and blow the snow off the deck. It will still be a bit of work for her, but much more in line with what her arm will be able to tolerate.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
01-22-2012, 07:06 PM
The way to go is to watch for the sales, later in the season and get one cheaper.
You may not need it for the rest of the season you get it, and you will miss having one this season,
but it'll be there next year. Alternative is to watch Craigslist or the equivalent for people selling them. Downside there is
buyer beware, don'e know what's been done with/ to it and what may or may not be wrong with it.
01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
(01-22-2012 07:06 PM)JrGtr42 Wrote:  The way to go is to watch for the sales, later in the season and get one cheaper.
You may not need it for the rest of the season you get it, and you will miss having one this season,
but it'll be there next year. Alternative is to watch Craigslist or the equivalent for people selling them. Downside there is
buyer beware, don'e know what's been done with/ to it and what may or may not be wrong with it.

I'm going to try to wait for a sale at the end of the season. My older sister told me yesterday that she would bring hers over if we got dumped on, and I could use that.

01-22-2012, 07:44 PM
Nice to have someone willing to share with you, and close by too!

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
01-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah, she isn't very far away, and it's nice of her to offer.

01-22-2012, 08:13 PM
All of that work yesterday and it's going to be 50 degrees tomorrow! It's like a cruel joke.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user