Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Snow blowers and the fanatics
01-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Snow blowers and the fanatics
Do you practice snow-up-man-ship?
My neighbors are notorious for clearing their sidewalks as soon as it stops snowing. They are, for the most part, elderly and retired, with big snow blowers to do the job. I have shovels(yes, I will be getting a snow blower.)
Anyway, tonight, because it is so cold, hardly anyone cleared their sidewalks. They are waiting for the warm up tomorrow. However, my sister had to go out and take care of something tonight, so she shoveled the front sidewalk.
My next door neighbor is now out with his snow blower. So is the guy down the street.
LoL.
They just CAN NOT let us be the first to have our walk done.
Are you the first one in your neighborhood to clear your walk/driveway/etc?

I'm also seeking advice on a lightweight(because I have to lift and wield it, and I'm a weakling) snow blower that does a decent job with heavy snow.

Rules. We have rules.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2012, 10:27 PM
RE: Snow blowers and the fanatics
I have a neighbor who insists on mowing every 4 days. Religiously. No matter what. If I mow once every two weeks Im lucky, but he wants his yard to look like a golf course. But the snow - na. Sometimes we actually do each others because we all hate the darn stuff. We all figger the quicker we work together and move it out the better.

As for a new blower - I always go Craftsman, but you may find other models better suited.

For You Steve & Monica - Your Love will forever shine on in our hearts!!!

[Image: monicasteve.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-21-2012, 06:48 AM
I'd love to get one of those mini quads with a snow plow (heated seat, handlebars). I think that might be more fun than a blower Smile

For now, due to lack of funds (I can't keep up with the darn credit card!) I use the old manual tried and true shovel method. I get out to do it when I get out to do it. No rush! I didn't mean "no RUSH" of course, because that would change my reality completely.

A snow blower with heated hand grips and a face shield would be nice....oh...and self-propelled!

"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then."
"Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup."
"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."
"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been.
"You've been all over and it's been all over you."
01-21-2012, 08:56 AM
(01-21-2012 06:48 AM)VincentUlyssis Wrote:  I'd love to get one of those mini quads with a snow plow (heated seat, handlebars). I think that might be more fun than a blower Smile

For now, due to lack of funds (I can't keep up with the darn credit card!) I use the old manual tried and true shovel method. I get out to do it when I get out to do it. No rush! I didn't mean "no RUSH" of course, because that would change my reality completely.

A snow blower with heated hand grips and a face shield would be nice....oh...and self-propelled!

Yeah, I was looking at prices last night, and nearly fell over. I thought it would be around the price of a lawn mower, but they are much higher. I will need one though. If we get a heavy snow, I'm going to be shoveling for hours.
My roomie has a shoulder problem and shouldn't be helping, so the blower is going to be a necessity. I'd be happy with just a little one, but I saw a shield that you can attach to it that was really cool. It would keep the snow from blowing back on you in high winds, rocks and ice chunks too.
Dream on...sigh.

Rules. We have rules.
01-21-2012, 10:31 AM
I shovel the snow here, but only the pad in front of the garage and the path to the front door. We live on a dirt road, so no sidewalks. My husband has checked in to snow blowers somewhat extensively. If he were to buy one (but he's got me-haha) he would go with a Craftsman, 2 stage, self-propelled model. Yes, they can be pricey, but if you can manage until after winter, they'll mark them down big time. In the mean time, maybe you can rent a neighborhood geezer Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-21-2012, 10:40 AM
We are the last house on a dead end street at the top of a rather steep hill. No sidewalks, but for some reason the previous owner here paved the drive. This is all well and good most of the time, but mostly makes for an icy mess in the winter. I am a bit fanatical about keeping my drive, walks and deck free of snow as my neighbors are not and their deck fell off the house last year from all the weight. We do have a longish drive but because of the various other farm chores we have a few years ago I looked into one of the quad "thingies" but instead elected to buy a small yard tractor with a bucket loader. Single best investment we have made! Make plowing a breeze and even kinda fun! However, with Mrs C. now no lover allowed to use her arm for strenuous work, we need to by a snowblower of some type so she can do the deck and not have to lift shovels of snow... I know there are some that use brushes but will check into it more at the end of the year.

All that said, my neighbor hardly ever shovels and I am often out there while it is still coming down as I figure its easier to do it 2x during a storm than get stuck etc that one time... Kinda sad I know..

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
01-21-2012, 10:47 AM
(01-21-2012 10:40 AM)Counselor Wrote:  We are the last house on a dead end street at the top of a rather steep hill. No sidewalks, but for some reason the previous owner here paved the drive. This is all well and good most of the time, but mostly makes for an icy mess in the winter. I am a bit fanatical about keeping my drive, walks and deck free of snow as my neighbors are not and their deck fell off the house last year from all the weight. We do have a longish drive but because of the various other farm chores we have a few years ago I looked into one of the quad "thingies" but instead elected to buy a small yard tractor with a bucket loader. Single best investment we have made! Make plowing a breeze and even kinda fun! However, with Mrs C. now no lover allowed to use her arm for strenuous work, we need to by a snowblower of some type so she can do the deck and not have to lift shovels of snow... I know there are some that use brushes but will check into it more at the end of the year.

All that said, my neighbor hardly ever shovels and I am often out there while it is still coming down as I figure its easier to do it 2x during a storm than get stuck etc that one time... Kinda sad I know..

I agree, it's much easier to shovel while the snow is coming down so you don't get stuck. We have a big Case backhoe with a bucket, but it's too big for the walk and garage pad. We use it for our turnaround and driveway which is over 600 feet long. We also have a yard tractor (Craftsman) that we mow with. We thought about getting a bucket for that. What kind of tractor do you have? It would be GREAT to get rid of the Case and get a nice little Kubota!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-21-2012, 11:29 AM
We have a Hohn Deere 2305. I think it is the smallest one they offer with a bucket. I looked at Kubotas and for what we wanted they were more $ and I did not like the dealer as well. We even bought a wood splitter for it and run it off the hydraulics. No mower for it though as I still like to walk as I mow.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
01-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I dont care what anybody says - thats probably the BEST $700 I have spent in a long time! I may have overcompensated.....A LITTLE....Driveway is only about 25 feet long, no sidewalk, but I do clean up the street area so my daughter can park her car..

For You Steve & Monica - Your Love will forever shine on in our hearts!!!

[Image: monicasteve.jpg]
01-21-2012, 12:55 PM
I don't have a driveway, just the apron of the garage. The city plows the alley. Boomer, you've seen my sidewalks...just up to and around the house, nothing at street level. The city also plows the street curb to curb...so I only have the path to the street to shovel.

I usually am out there a couple of times to clear it, but we only got two inches last night...1 good push and it's off the sidewalk.

Rules. We have rules.