Sea Salt 50.00% 2 50.00%
Total 4 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Salt or Salty
01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Salt or Salty
Okay. Here's one for the gang. I cooked up some skinned chicken breasts tonight. Simple process I have done many times. I am at my father-in-laws house in eastern Tennessee and opted for one of his old iron skillets. As per usual I took the frozen chicken breast out of the package, put them in the medium heated skillet and covered. After the breast began to thaw the cook in the forthcoming juices/water, I added some garlic powder and black pepper. I new I needed some salt and the only salt available was Sea Salt. Thinking Sea Salt to be "saltier" than table salt I limited this ingredient to a small pinch.

When the chicken was done, I was really overwhelmed with how salty the chicken tasted.

So, I am looking for some insight here. Do you suppose it was the old iron skillet or the sea salt that put by breasts over the edge?

"One ounce perception...One pound obscure"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2012, 08:58 PM
RE: Salt or Salty
I use sea salt all the time. If you used only a pinch, I don't think it would have made the chicken too salty. On the other hand, I can't figure out how the old pan would contribute to the saltiness. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe you used garlic salt and not garlic powder?????

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
01-21-2012, 10:06 PM
(01-21-2012 08:58 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  I use sea salt all the time. If you used only a pinch, I don't think it would have made the chicken too salty. On the other hand, I can't figure out how the old pan would contribute to the saltiness. The only thing I can come up with is that maybe you used garlic salt and not garlic powder?????

Used garlic powder. The iron skillet was the only other thing different. Thanks Gungawoman!

01-21-2012, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2012 10:18 PM by Nettie.)
If the skillet is just wiped out, not washed, after use, salt could build up in it.
Did you grind the sea salt or use it whole? Large granules of salt could have made the chicken salty.
Also, if you added the salt at the end of the cooking time, it would be saltier than usual. Sea salt loses it's salty flavor in the cooking process,
so if it was added at the end, it would still have all of it's salty flavor, and may have overpowered the dish.

01-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Try using Kosher salt. Just use a pinch will go a long way. I find it not as salty as sea salt.
01-22-2012, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2012 05:57 PM by Lanix.)
(01-21-2012 10:15 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  If the skillet is just wiped out, not washed, after use, salt could build up in it.
Did you grind the sea salt or use it whole? Large granules of salt could have made the chicken salty.
Also, if you added the salt at the end of the cooking time, it would be saltier than usual. Sea salt loses it's salty flavor in the cooking process,
so if it was added at the end, it would still have all of it's salty flavor, and may have overpowered the dish.

Thanks Nettiesaur. I wondered about the skillet being old and seasoned. I added the salt about half way through.
(01-22-2012 04:45 PM)Phillip Wrote:  Try using Kosher salt. Just use a pinch will go a long way. I find it not as salty as sea salt.

Thanks Phillip!

01-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Just a thought: Some brands will inject a seasoned "broth" of sorts under the skin of chicken breast to enhance flavor and moisture, especially when frozen. If this was the case and you didn't realize it, and then added salt, it could have been too much. I've done it myself for sure!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
01-22-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm going with the skillet. My mom is notorious for just wiping out the skillet. There's always a trace of whatever was cooked last, at least in the one we have. Smile

I like sea salt...I think it just tastes better.

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
01-23-2012, 02:59 AM
(01-22-2012 11:48 PM)CanyonDancer Wrote:  I'm going with the skillet. My mom is notorious for just wiping out the skillet. There's always a trace of whatever was cooked last, at least in the one we have. Smile

I like sea salt...I think it just tastes better.

Same here. I usually use a coarser grind (about = to kosher salt) in cooking. I got some in Hawai'i that's just amazing!

I, also, blame the skillet.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
01-23-2012, 11:47 AM
It could be the skillet if it wasn't properly cleaned after the previous use. Try it again sometime soon with a clean skillet and see if there's a difference.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user