Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoking with tea
02-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Smoking with tea
I've heard this is an Asian/Chinese technique, has anyone ever smoked with tea leaves before?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2012, 10:52 AM
RE: Smoking with tea
Back when I was younger .... but I never inhaled.... Oh wait you are speaking of cooking, yes? I have not heard of this but I definitely will follow this thread... someone here will know, these here fellers and ladies are pretty smart!
02-02-2012, 10:56 AM
[Image: spicoli.jpg]
Dude, don't mind if I do! Big Grin

Oh Bleat!
02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
We've marinated with tea, but not smoked.

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Several years ago the hubby saw a cooking show that featured smoked Peking Duck and he thought, "Why couldn't I do that with a turkey?" The smoke elements included black tea, cinnamon stick and star anise. For the tea, I think he ended up buying just garden-variety tea bags of Darjeeling or Ceylon and cut them open to mix the loose tea with the other ingredients. We have an electric smoker, which has a small shallow pan with a cover that you put your smoke elements (wood chips, spices, etc) in and place in a rack above the coils.

I don't know the measurements he ended up using (he usually smokes a 16-18lb bird, so I'm guessin' the amount was "a lot"), but I do remember that there was a distinctive tea flavor to the finished meat, almost a refreshing sensation on the palate. I'm not sure how often he had to change out the smoke elements, though.

[Now....was somebody passin' the kouchie 'pon the left hand side....? Tongue]

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
02-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Thank you all for the comments, I've come across a few recipes and ideas, I going to try a couple of them, and keep you posted.

(02-02-2012 07:34 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  Several years ago the hubby saw a cooking show that featured smoked Peking Duck and he thought, "Why couldn't I do that with a turkey?" The smoke elements included black tea, cinnamon stick and star anise. For the tea, I think he ended up buying just garden-variety tea bags of Darjeeling or Ceylon and cut them open to mix the loose tea with the other ingredients. We have an electric smoker, which has a small shallow pan with a cover that you put your smoke elements (wood chips, spices, etc) in and place in a rack above the coils.

I don't know the measurements he ended up using (he usually smokes a 16-18lb bird, so I'm guessin' the amount was "a lot"), but I do remember that there was a distinctive tea flavor to the finished meat, almost a refreshing sensation on the palate. I'm not sure how often he had to change out the smoke elements, though.

[Now....was somebody passin' the kouchie 'pon the left hand side....? Tongue]
02-25-2012, 08:02 PM
I tried it with rib-lets, worked OK I think next time I will modify it a little...all in all not much to write about