Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Suggestion Box
02-10-2012, 11:59 AM
The Suggestion Box
Is it by the front door? No… Huh.
Maybe by the restrooms…..no…hmm.
How ‘bout the TV room….nope, it’s not in here either.
Is it on the bar?....oh, no, not there.
Well…I guess nobody thought of putting one up.

(So, HardwareGrl, living up to her name, went home and into her garage. A couple of hours pass while she sawed, sanded, hammered and lacquered. When she was done, there sat a very nice pine box with the word “Suggestions” painted on the side. She came back to the B & G and set it on the bar.)

Well, since I went to all of that trouble, I guess I should christen it with a suggestion.

“Dear Bubba and Brutus, B&G Admins and Staff,
First of all, Thank You for all of your hard work, making this place a great one to hang out, pick up recipes, pass the time and hone our skills. You all do work very hard and it shows. So, Thank You.
I do have a suggestion, and its in regards to the issue of the being able to view threads that have gotten really long.
(To explain, some threads have gotten so long that the newest page isn’t visible unless you click the “New Reply” button. Then you can scroll down and see the last 10 posts.)
I do find however, if a page has more than 10 posts, you can’t see them, so you can lose the sense of the conversation that is on a page.
So, my suggestion.
I suggest that the longer threads be capped/locked, and a new thread started with the same name, but with a qualification. And in honor of our founder, I suggest the following example.
“The Bar” Would now become “The Bar, Chapter Two”. When it gets too long and our issue starts up again, cap/lock the thread and “The Bar, Chapter Three”, and so on.
Well, there is my suggestion, do with it what you will.
Thank you again,
Your devoted patron and stool warmer,
HardwareGrl”

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2012, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 01:12 PM by Rey.)
RE: The Suggestion Box
Ah, the old disappearing post thing creeps up again. From my observations it doesn't take too long in a new thread before the posts start vanishing. I think breaking it all down into smaller threads would make quite a confusing jumble, not to mention a lot of maintenance for the admins of when to shut down a thread and start another chapter. But...I don't have a better suggestion, and I've tried. So it very well could work.

I have been thinking about posting a thread about this problem at the main "MyBB" forums. This is where all the MyBB experts hang out (this Bubba's forum is powered by MyBB). People, let me know if you want me to pursue this...

EDIT:
I did a quick check and found one suggestion that may help, no guarantees though, here it is: (this is for an Admin to do not regular users)

"Go to..

AdminCP > Tools & Maintenance > Recount & Rebuild > Rebuild Thread Counters"

Do this for the long threads showing the problems.

Maybe a powerful Admin can try this and us users can report back to see if it helped?

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
02-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Dear HWG, Rey, and whomever else might be listening.

The admins know about the disappearing post issue. In fact, I've ran testing on my own to see what all else we can do to alleviate the problem. I have already contacted the folks at myBB, I have contacted some of my own resources, I have even tried to send smoke signals to Billy Gates himself in the hopes of finding a solution. I have even PAID MONEY for an expert opinion (lunch at our fav rib joint!) to try to get a grasp on what the solution is to this problem. The only thing I can offer right now is we are just going to have to deal with it until we can get the forum software upgraded, and some refinements put in place to address some of the bugs that are in the version we CURRENTLY use.

Unfortunately you are bringing this up at a time when we do not currently have the ability or the resources to make such refinements. I will not go into details on it right now, but you are just going to have to exhibit a tiny bit of patience and understanding for the admins and the OWNERS while we await word to proceed with those steps. I understand your frustration, I see it myself from time to time. My way of dealing with it is dump all the cookies, log out, and then back in, and make sure if you dont see it right away to use "refresh" as often as needed. The sad part is that it seems to only rear its ugly head with IE, but I may not be fully aware of what OS everyone IS using so it may be larger than that.

If there were something we COULD do - it would have been done. Unfortunately for us some events have occurred beyond our control that we just have to remain patient and vigilant. I do not wish to go into those right now. As soon as that situation is resolved, I will let everyone know what will be happening, and to remain patient while we work thru the upgrades and the refinements. Thats the best we can do for now. I can make you no promises beyond that we are trying to get the problem resolved as quickly as we can, but with all the parties involved, its just going to take some time to work through those. I appreciate how frustrating this issue is getting. I understand your frustration, and the admin team and I are doing everything in our power to try to make the changes needed to resolve it.

I apologize to everyone if this is becoming a bigger nuisance. I honestly wish we had the fixes in place to prevent this. All I ask is some patience and understanding to the admins, Bubba, Brutus and others while we await the necessary steps from everyone to work out these problems.

Sincerely,
boomer
Forum Administrator,
Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
This is weird to me, as I haven't had this problem since becoming a moderator. Sometimes on a long thread, if I hit the "last page" button, it takes me to 1 or 2 pages back from the last page. Even then, I can see the buttons showing more pages. I click on them and can see all posts.
A ghost in the machine.....

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Rey
I just took the liberty of rebuilding those again. I did it once before Christmas. Perhaps this is a monthly thing that needs to be added to our maintenance schedule, but thank you for posting this as a reminder.

02-10-2012, 01:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2012 02:08 PM by Rey.)
(02-10-2012 01:40 PM)boomer Wrote:  Rey
I just took the liberty of rebuilding those again. I did it once before Christmas. Perhaps this is a monthly thing that needs to be added to our maintenance schedule, but thank you for posting this as a reminder.

Hey, I was trying not to complain again this time. Really, I'm done with that! Only trying helpful suggestions, honest! Angel
I do understand now that MyBB is a free program. And as such, support and help for problems cannot be demanded, and will be more difficult to come up with solutions. And it sounds like you have tried hard, sometimes us users (me) can't see all that is going on behind the scenes, and don't realize all the effort that is being put in. It sounds to me like you tried everything you can think of. So like you say we must be patient...

Anyway, this is the MyBB thread where it was suggested:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-108184.html

But...that poster said that it didn't help at his forum. Sad

Another work around I have come up with is:

Go to "User CP"

On the left click "Edit Options"

Then under "Thread View Options" change the "Posts Per Page" to something larger, like 30, or even 50. If you couldn't see posts this will sometimes bring them up into view. It doesn't solve the problem though, as the page nears the new higher number of posts, they will start to disappear again. The key is to try different settings until they show up again. If they start to disappear at 30, change it to 50, and vice versa.

Like I said. not a solution, just a work around until a software update or better times ahead.

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
I know eveybody knows about the problem, don't get me wrong...
I just thought maybe capping a thread and starting a new one would also be a easy work around till the big fix came.
Its something that is done on another forum I'm on. The popular threads are capped/locked at the end of the year and a new one started....

I also thought it might be good to have someplace to post suggestions, so they don't get lost in the threads...

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
02-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Rey - I have been trying to avoid that change. Will review this with admin team. I know you arent complaining! But - I think your halo may be tilting a little to the left!

02-10-2012, 02:11 PM
(02-10-2012 01:57 PM)Rey Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 01:40 PM)boomer Wrote:  Rey

Hey, I was trying not to complain again this time. Really, I'm done with that! Only trying helpful suggestions, honest! Angel
I do understand now that MyBB is a free program. And as such, support and help for problems cannot be demanded, and will be more difficult to come up with solutions. And it sounds like you have tried hard, sometimes us users (me) can't see all that is going on behind the scenes, and don't realize all the effort that is being put in. It sounds to me like you tried everything you can think of. So like you say we must be patient...

Anyway, this is the MyBB thread where it was suggested:

http://community.mybb.com/thread-108184.html

But...that poster said that it didn't help at his forum. Sad

Another work around I have come up with is:

Go to "User CP"

On the left click "Edit Options"

Then under "Thread View Options" change the "Posts Per Page" to something larger, like 30, or even 50. If you couldn't see posts this will sometimes bring them up into view. It doesn't solve the problem though, as the page nears the new higher number of posts, they will start to disappear again. The key is to try different settings until they show up again. If they start to disappear at 30, change it to 50, and vice versa.

Like I said. not a solution, just a work around until a software update or better times ahead.

Rey, you are a research GENIOUS!!
I tried your fix, and it worked!!!!
Thank You!!!

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
02-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Michelle - Thats only a work around. You may have to keep changing the values to keep ahead of it. I may make a couple of changes in the Admin side that you may see later. Stay tuned. I dont know if it will help but would certainly welcome your observations.

Ok Rey - I have my trusty ball peen hammer, lets see if we can get this darn thing straightened!