Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
You shouldn't have...!!!
02-15-2012, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2012 04:16 PM by desertbear.)
RE: You shouldn't have...!!!
Bagel... Tapered pant legs , Teal was popular... I remember those days,
wasn't M.C Hammer popular then also? ( wink , wink)Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2012, 10:46 PM
(02-15-2012 01:02 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Reading about GW's MIL, reminds me of my own mother's (and even my step-father's) gift-giving practices. After I became a teenager, my mom started buying or making for me clothes that were more her style. I think that she knew that I wouldn't like or wear them. So she'd wait for a few weeks and then "borrow" the item to wear, and then eventually it just wound up in her closet. There is only one time that I can remember her buying me a blouse that I actually liked.

My step-father, after marrying my mother, decided to learn how to sew. He didn't like the style of pants that I wore to work (I worked in a Safeway deli, dealing with fryers and food). They were tapered at the ankle, which was popular at the time. So he made me these pants. They were too small, and the pant legs were too wide. Then he complained that I wasn't wearing them. He also made me a sweater that was too small, and thought that I was ungrateful for not wearing it. To his credit, the one thing that he did make, was a Gore-Tex ski jacket (we did a lot of cross-country skiing back then). I wore that coat everywhere! Loved it! It was Teal!

Scythe's pantsuit story reminded me of one that my grandma made for me when I was little (about 7 or 8). She had found some denim fabric with pictures of peeled and unpeeled bananas all over it, and she made herself a pantsuit out of it (back in the 70's, it was probably more acceptable). So, my grandma made me a denim pantsuit and cut out pictures of these bananas, and stitched them onto this pantsuit. I had a picture of a peeled banana, stitched to the backside of my pants! I could not play on the playground or go anywhere without other kids and other adults pointing and laughing at the banana on my butt!

OMGorsh Bagel!! You have to find and post a picture of you in that banana outfit!! Priceless!!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
02-20-2012, 07:30 AM
(02-14-2012 03:56 PM)debskis Wrote:  Wow MA...sounds like a great date!! Def one band I would love to see live...didn't know they were still performing!!! Enjoy!

Found this news post from Saginaw after the K-band show. We road the bus with this reporter and we mentioned the fact that they were smiling Big Grin and having fun. The back up band District 97 was great, very progressive original stuff (I recommend checking them out Cool ) and closed their set with none other then...Tom Sawyer? I couldn't believe it either!

SAGINAW - Liz Fisher didn’t sit down much Thursday night, even though she had a front row seat on Kansas’ visit to Saginaw’s Temple Theatre.
When she did join her husband Ron, the Tawas City super-fan was drumming along with Phil Ehart, playing the keys with Steve Walsh and punching the air when guitarist Rich Williams lit into an especially tasty lick.
After following the band through 34 states since 1980 – the couple’s first date was a Kansas concert – the Fishers have lost count of the shows but none of their passion for the classic rockers.

And when fiddler David Ragsdale, bassist Billy Greer and their bandmates on Thursday wrapped up the night with “Carry On Wayward Son,” some 1,200 more fans echoed their sentiments.

That’s the sort of night it was, people hooked by Kansas’ progressive rock style before anyone really knew what progressive rock was sharing space with a new generation discovering it through the game Guitar Hero and movie soundtracks.

“We’re playing them on WHNN,” said disc jockey Bob Hughes, “and they’re playing them on WHEELZ and my 20-something kid’s into them, too.”

Or, as tour manager Dave Greene warned people at the pre-show meet-and-greet in the Leopard Lounge, “Be very careful touching the musicians’ bodies – they’re worth millions.”

That didn’t stop Williams from picking up a conversation we started a few weeks ago – “The theater’s beautiful,” he said of the Temple as Greene rushed them out of the room. The Chicago band District 97 had ended its opening set of what it calls new progressive – a fitting complement to the night’s style – and Kansas was ready to roll.

Williams promised a show that would capture a little of everything the band does these days, leaving us wondering exactly how the Kansas Collegiate Symphony Tour would fit in the mix. It wasn’t long before we found out, Ragsdale’s violin playfully dancing around the guitars.

With Walsh on lead vocals, warm and ready by the time they got to “Dust in the Wind,” it also had the signature sound that the night’s purists remembered. Experienced live, with the faint echo of some 1,200 voices singing along, the ballad was worth the price of admission alone.

Kansas didn’t stop there, though. “Point of Know Return,” celebrating its 35th anniversary this year, was retro and relevant at the same time. “Hold On,” “Miracles Out of Nowhere,” the songs just kept coming.

But what made the night really memorable were the moments when Williams and Ragsdale would play off each other, the guitar and violin creating the musical dialogue that still sets Kansas apart from less innovative ensembles. It happened again when Walsh and Greer traded vocals, and with Ragsdale slipped into three-part harmonies.

And, as a fan who drove all the way down from Gaylord to catch the show pointed out, they smiled a lot.

“They were having a good time,” he said, “and that makes it fun for us, too.”

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
02-20-2012, 04:40 PM
I usually do try to come up with something both fun and romantic for valentines day. This year, my two year old and I bought mommy roses and monday evening delivered them all over town where we knew she would be the next day. We dropped some off at radiation, Physical Therapy, Daycare, Her classroom etc. Then in the AM is sent K into see mommy with her rose so she would know whom all the others were from. It would have been PERFECT if K had not puked about 5 min later nearly ruining the whole thing when Mrs. C had to be convinced the I could stay home so she could go thru her "day of love".

Ive done other goofy things but this was one of my best.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
(02-20-2012 04:40 PM)Counselor Wrote:  I usually do try to come up with something both fun and romantic for valentines day. This year, my two year old and I bought mommy roses and monday evening delivered them all over town where we knew she would be the next day. We dropped some off at radiation, Physical Therapy, Daycare, Her classroom etc. Then in the AM is sent K into see mommy with her rose so she would know whom all the others were from. It would have been PERFECT if K had not puked about 5 min later nearly ruining the whole thing when Mrs. C had to be convinced the I could stay home so she could go thru her "day of love".

I agree. That's one of the best gifts that I've ever heard of!

02-21-2012, 08:07 AM
(02-20-2012 04:40 PM)Counselor Wrote:  Ive done other goofy things but this was one of my best.

Sweeeeeeet!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
(02-20-2012 04:40 PM)Counselor Wrote:  I usually do try to come up with something both fun and romantic for valentines day. This year, my two year old and I bought mommy roses and monday evening delivered them all over town where we knew she would be the next day. We dropped some off at radiation, Physical Therapy, Daycare, Her classroom etc. Then in the AM is sent K into see mommy with her rose so she would know whom all the others were from. It would have been PERFECT if K had not puked about 5 min later nearly ruining the whole thing when Mrs. C had to be convinced the I could stay home so she could go thru her "day of love".

Awwww!!! That is so sweet and thoughtful!!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Anyone catch the show last night about tightwads??? I thought about this thread. For his 25th wedding anniversary, this man went dumpster diving and got his wife wilted roses and a teapot. He gave her a get well card that she had received from someone else. He changed the wording and crossed out the original name and signed his own. He took her to dinner and asked for the leftover food from OTHER PEOPLE'S dinner.
I'm not sure I would have lasted 25 days Confused

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-23-2012, 06:19 AM
There is just so much thats wrong with that.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
02-23-2012, 07:05 PM
(02-22-2012 10:26 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Anyone catch the show last night about tightwads??? I thought about this thread. For his 25th wedding anniversary, this man went dumpster diving and got his wife wilted roses and a teapot. He gave her a get well card that she had received from someone else. He changed the wording and crossed out the original name and signed his own. He took her to dinner and asked for the leftover food from OTHER PEOPLE'S dinner.
I'm not sure I would have lasted 25 days Confused

They showed that one before - I saw it a couple of months ago. When that guy picked out the wilted roses.... well it was jaw-dropping. I mean, thriftiness is one thing, downright cheap is another. [Image: smiley-confused013.gif]

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!