Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Listening to..(2)
09-05-2018, 02:08 PM
RE: Listening to..(2)
(09-05-2018 02:06 PM)Nung Wrote:  Very, very cool!

Those 40 years went by pretty quickly for me, by the way!!!

Me too mate. It feels like yesterday.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2019, 07:00 AM
Had an Epiphany listening to Caress of Steel song "The Fountain of Lamneth" , the part where it says, "Many journeys end here
But, the secret's told the same
Life is just a candle
And a dream must give it flame" I get these a lot when I lose myself into the world of Rush.

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
Find all posts by this user
01-14-2019, 10:28 AM
(01-14-2019 07:00 AM)New World Man Wrote:  Had an Epiphany listening to Caress of Steel song "The Fountain of Lamneth" , the part where it says, "Many journeys end here
Life is just a candle
And a dream must give it flame" I get these a lot when I lose myself into the world of Rush.

Very cool. I forgot those lines.
What a great concept.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
01-21-2019, 12:19 PM
(01-14-2019 10:28 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 07:00 AM)New World Man Wrote:  Had an Epiphany listening to Caress of Steel song "The Fountain of Lamneth" , the part where it says, "Many journeys end here
Life is just a candle

What a great concept.
Thanks Nung, sometime I binge listen to Rush music, I can pretty much tell you what I was doing in life at the time a new album came out. Can't explain it but it's like Peart and the boys music are the soundtrack to my life. Smile

Trying to save the day for the Old World Man!
[Image: avatar_7108.jpg?dateline=1535034322]
01-21-2019, 12:34 PM
(01-21-2019 12:19 PM)New World Man Wrote:  
(01-14-2019 10:28 AM)Nung Wrote:  
Life is just a candle

What a great concept.
Thanks Nung, sometime I binge listen to Rush music, I can pretty much tell you what I was doing in life at the time a new album came out. Can't explain it but it's like Peart and the boys music are the soundtrack to my life. Smile

That is one of the great things about music: how we can instantly remember exactly what we were doing and how we were feeling when we got to know specific tracks/albums.

Many bands do that for me but yes, the Polka trio occupies a significant amount of mental real estate in my mind.

Music. It is the key to most everything.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
02-14-2019, 11:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2019 11:32 PM by SpaceCadet.)
[D'OH! 'Put this on the "playing" thread. Listening. Different than playing. I blame early-stage Alzheimer's. Anyhoo...]

'Still happily bingeing on some fave J-rock - the 'Labbits, Haruka & the boys in Tears of Tragedy, and those crazy, relentlessly-talented women in Gacharic Spin.

"Void Act" by ToT is easily the most spellbinding, gooseflesh-inducing chord progression/vocal melody combination I've heard in rock in maybe a decade or two.

Just complete audio catnip for me, even though I've been playing the "Statice" album to death since its release in Dec 2016. I wish they'd dial back the keys a little, but... damn! That melody!

These people are way, way overdue for a new release and it's getting me a little antsy. There's that whole "Every time I find something I like, they take it off the market" thing to worry about, doncha know: Oxymetazoline eye drops; the UFO/Schenk reunion of '95; Wychwood King Goblin ale; them frostbitten Canadian boys; Alpha-Bits and King Vitaman; ...you get the picture. I am well and duly cursed in this regard, and female-fronted J-rock bands have a disturbing habit of breaking up without warning. So... antsy.

Speaking of which, the ShakaLabbits - who to my complete surprise Labbit-leapt straight to the top of my Favorite Bands list, 2009-ish, alongside... them frostbitten Canadian boys - did something exceedingly weird in early 2017: They announced, almost simultaneously, the release of a new album titled "Her," and... that they were going on "a hiatus." Which for Japanese bands generally translates as: "We're breaking up, ja mata."

A couple weeks later I took my very first trip to J-land, and while tooling around central Kyoto on a rental bicycle, narrowly and repeatedly dodging death for myself and scores of hapless pedestrians, and doing the daily 2-mile runs on the excellent, paved sanpomichi that run endlessly along the banks of the Kamo River, I had the Labbits' brand-new tunes happily pumping through them wires and bouncing around my head for the duration.

So of course listening to those songs now takes me right back there - not just the memories but the emotions, and I swear even the scent of the air and of that spectacular nishin (herring) soba I had at Kyo no Miyako Shoya Karasuma, a basement restaurant three blocks north of the Kyoto Tower at Kyoto Station. In particular the album opener "Longyearbyen" tugs and yanks at brain and heart alike just like a bungee cord. No vid for that one, unfortunately - but I could listen to "Stars" for that bouncy bass line alone:

And Gachapin! They did a kick-butt cover of a tune by Vocaloid/Hatsune Miku (don't ask) titled "Ghost Rule" last November and... more audio catnip - punchy and crisp as crystal, even if it's a tad poppy and synth-dense.

Hana-san has an annoying tendency toward "shouty" in her voice, but I cut her slack 'cause singing's hard while you're running the engine room. OTOH I could listen to Koga Michiko jam on that bass for days without coming up for air. (Some astonishing bassists in Japan - Masaki of Daida Laida and Liv Moon, Hibiki of [now-defunct] Light Bringer [see? see?], Enrique of the '80s band Barbee Boys, Onda of Judy And Mary, etc. I want what those guys are drinking.)

As for actually playing, I'm slowly crawling back into more-or-less-regular guitar and Stick practice as the even-slower sensation returns after a nerve injury to the left pinky and ring cluster. Lots of songs I've forgotten, but even more I need to learn.

That's the scoop folks. "War and Peace II: The Unabridged Sequel."

"Waiter...can you stop that noise? What you call 'music.' It sounds like dirty water. How can they eat food - and listen to ****?"
- Sabina (Lena Olin) in The Unbearable Lightness of Being
04-14-2019, 06:01 AM
My brother, friends and I recently saw Lotus Land here in NH. Liked the show so much we've already booked our tix for 2020! Anyone else familiar with them?

Shifting & Drifting