Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
what are you playing?
12-18-2018, 09:34 AM
RE: what are you playing?
(12-17-2018 11:42 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 07:06 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Thanks for the kind thoughts.Smile

Wrist is fine, but this borderline fanatical effort to get up to speed and beyond as quickly as possible is causing some musculoskeletal issues I can’t ignore any longer. Spending hours every day looking down at a fret board while learning new tunes has resulted in my inability to ride any more that a couple hours without considerable neck/trapezius pain. With a loooong ride to Deadhorse AK coming up, I’m going to have to cut back on the guitar time.

Dang...

I very much understand that. The older I get, the larger the penalty for staying rather static and/or working on a physical skill. Frequent movement is the solution.

The ride sounds GREAT. I hope you will be keeping us updated on that ride. When does it start?

Sorry to be a pain, but can you elaborate? I could sure use some advice...

Also, you gots pm.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2018, 10:09 AM
(12-18-2018 09:34 AM)Sunset Wrote:  
(12-17-2018 11:42 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 07:06 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Thanks for the kind thoughts.Smile

Wrist is fine, but this borderline fanatical effort to get up to speed and beyond as quickly as possible is causing some musculoskeletal issues I can’t ignore any longer. Spending hours every day looking down at a fret board while learning new tunes has resulted in my inability to ride any more that a couple hours without considerable neck/trapezius pain. With a loooong ride to Deadhorse AK coming up, I’m going to have to cut back on the guitar time.

Dang...

I very much understand that. The older I get, the larger the penalty for staying rather static and/or working on a physical skill. Frequent movement is the solution.

The ride sounds GREAT. I hope you will be keeping us updated on that ride. When does it start?

Sorry to be a pain, but can you elaborate? I could sure use some advice...

Also, you gots pm.

Well, I am no physiologist but I do own an almost-sixty year old body. I find that keeping any one position for over 10 or 15 minutes is asking for trouble. Sure, there are times when we must do that...say, sitting at a classical music concert or taking a test. But when one has the freedom, it is always best to break-up practicing or any sort of task into smaller sections. In between, get up, move, stretch, and get the blood moving. Stretching is the most important thing for me. If I don't everything tightens up. My hips are the latest area to demand that.

I suggest you look up exercises/stretches for guitar players (violin players have similar issues too). And warming up with some movement is always good too.

When playing, if you encounter pain, stop and look at your posture and whether you are tensing up because of a wonky setup. Be sure you have an ergonomic approach. And a good chair! Playing on the couch is not good for most of us.

I try to do with playing what I do with motorcycling. I prepare everything. Get everything I will need together. Stretch. Make sure my equipment is sound and adjusted. And then most importantly, I get into the correct frame of mind. I tell myself that I need to seriously focus on the task (because on the bike, my life depends on it). If I am playing, I remind myself that every musical moment I have had in my life has led me here.

Little punctuations seem to improve almost everything in life. It is the pauses and the silences that make the raucous and well-played stuff meaningful.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
12-23-2018, 11:22 AM
Welp, the ufishal diagnosis is major inflammation/displacement of the facet joint capsule at the C2 vertebrae caused by repetitive motion and or posture. Whata mouthful...

Sooooo...for the foreseeable future it’ll be PT-Flexeril-behavior modification aka zero guitar and reduced activity in the gym. There’s no way I’m going to ditch the guitar, so I’ll just keep it down to 30min scales and speed/strength excercises without looking at the fretboard.

Also, in line with your fine suggestions, I’ll be adopting a more mindful approach to my practice sessions ala the Alexander Technique.

Thx for taking the time to share your thoughts!Smile

12-24-2018, 08:44 AM
I have just been playing away on the drums as usual. Nice when I am not working to be able to spend some quality time on the kit. A mate of mine, who happens to be a very accomplished bassist is toying with the idea getting ProTools, so I am hoping we can share some session playing together in the New Year.

What every it is you play, I hope it brings you happiness over the Holidays.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-27-2018, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-27-2018 10:01 AM by Nung.)
(12-23-2018 11:22 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Welp, the ufishal diagnosis is major inflammation/displacement of the facet joint capsule at the C2 vertebrae caused by repetitive motion and or posture. Whata mouthful...

Sooooo...for the foreseeable future it’ll be PT-Flexeril-behavior modification aka zero guitar and reduced activity in the gym. There’s no way I’m going to ditch the guitar, so I’ll just keep it down to 30min scales and speed/strength excercises without looking at the fretboard.

Also, in line with your fine suggestions, I’ll be adopting a more mindful approach to my practice sessions ala the Alexander Technique.

Thx for taking the time to share your thoughts!Smile

Oh man! I hate to hear this. I sure hope you can get over on it.
The best thing you can do is stay very aware of how your body handles the activity that you do undertake. That way you will get just the right amount of movement and not make things worse. Please keep us informed.
(12-24-2018 08:44 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I have just been playing away on the drums as usual. Nice when I am not working to be able to spend some quality time on the kit. A mate of mine, who happens to be a very accomplished bassist is toying with the idea getting ProTools, so I am hoping we can share some session playing together in the New Year.

What every it is you play, I hope it brings you happiness over the Holidays.

Very cool! what a great motivation.

01-09-2019, 09:54 AM
Played for the first time in over a week last night. Only 30min and only strength/speed excercises w/out looking at the fretboard.

Then I was naughty and played “drop dead legs” and “little guitars” back to back on the kemper. Felt sooooooooo good.Smile

01-09-2019, 10:21 AM
(01-09-2019 09:54 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Played for the first time in over a week last night. Only 30min and only strength/speed excercises w/out looking at the fretboard.

Then I was naughty and played “drop dead legs” and “little guitars” back to back on the kemper. Felt sooooooooo good.Smile

This is great to hear! Stay in tune with how your body feels so that you don't do too much.

(I am looking at what will be the right chair to use when practicing. I often have a leg go to sleep when playing on the couch.)

01-10-2019, 10:08 AM
They say a barstool with a backrest is best. But then again, I’m the guy who did stupid things and won stupid prizes, so.....

No riding yesterday, but played again last night. Feel good this morning. I’ve been instructed to not play and ride on the same day.

Good thing I’m not a badass rock drummer with a penchant for 2-wheel travel between shows.

01-10-2019, 11:07 AM
(01-10-2019 10:08 AM)Sunset Wrote:  They say a barstool with a backrest is best. But then again, I’m the guy who did stupid things and won stupid prizes, so.....

No riding yesterday, but played again last night. Feel good this morning. I’ve been instructed to not play and ride on the same day.

Good thing I’m not a badass rock drummer with a penchant for 2-wheel travel between shows.

Great. I am glad you are both re-incorporating the playing and riding while also being careful not to overdo it.

I know there are some pretty fancy chairs out there. Here is an article on 10 of them:
https://musiccritic.com/equipment/best-guitar-stool/

01-18-2019, 10:22 AM
Grabbed Francine “the little tele that could” and, after my excercises/scales, just noodled for 40min. Felt great.Smile

On a side note, every time I touch that 2012 Fender Mag7 tele I’m always shocked by how well it does everything. From black metal death squeals to Johnny Hiland chikinpikin...from evh to andy summers. It can handle all of it. Such a fantastic instrument.Smile