Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
what are you playing?
01-18-2019, 10:27 AM
RE: what are you playing?
(01-18-2019 10:22 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Grabbed Francine “the little tele that could” and, after my excercises/scales, just noodled for 40min. Felt great.Smile

On a side note, every time I touch that 2012 Fender Mag7 tele I’m always shocked by how well it does everything. From black metal death squeals to Johnny Hiland chikinpikin...from evh to andy summers. It can handle all of it. Such a fantastic instrument.Smile

That is great to hear. Both things.
Playing can be such a lift. I am glad you can slowly increase your time.

And the right gear encourages you to play. I love that feeling.

I was wrestling with hardware last night. Stands for my congas. I changed out the stand for my tumba. They are straightforward to assemble but require lots of experimentation to get the right height. But now, even at its lowest setting it is 2" taller than the three other drums. So I need to adjust them all up.

After that, I need to install a new set of snare wires (Fat Cat, dual-adjustable) on a Tama snare that isn't quite right with its original snares.

And THEN I will play!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2019, 09:50 AM
(01-18-2019 10:27 AM)Nung Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 10:22 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Grabbed Francine “the little tele that could” and, after my excercises/scales, just noodled for 40min. Felt great.Smile

On a side note, every time I touch that 2012 Fender Mag7 tele I’m always shocked by how well it does everything. From black metal death squeals to Johnny Hiland chikinpikin...from evh to andy summers. It can handle all of it. Such a fantastic instrument.Smile

I was wrestling with hardware last night. Stands for my congas. I changed out the stand for my tumba. They are straightforward to assemble but require lots of experimentation to get the right height. But now, even at its lowest setting it is 2" taller than the three other drums. So I need to adjust them all up.

After that, I need to install a new set of snare wires (Fat Cat, dual-adjustable) on a Tama snare that isn't quite right with its original snares.

And THEN I will play!

There’s gotta be a good percussionist joke in there somewhere.Big Grin
Not much going on here. 40min every other day doesn’t leave much room for anything too ambitious. But I’m already making big plans for when I return from the Prudhoe Bay ride, which is approaching rapidly. I’m up to 5hrs/day in the saddle. Unthinkable 4 weeks ago...

So the upshot of this story is: You, sir, will need to play twice as much in order to pick up my slack and set the cosmic balance right once more.

Wink

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
01-25-2019, 12:34 PM
(01-25-2019 09:50 AM)Sunset Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 10:27 AM)Nung Wrote:  

And THEN I will play!

There’s gotta be a good percussionist joke in there somewhere.Big Grin
Not much going on here. 40min every other day doesn’t leave much room for anything too ambitious. But I’m already making big plans for when I return from the Prudhoe Bay ride, which is approaching rapidly. I’m up to 5hrs/day in the saddle. Unthinkable 4 weeks ago...

So the upshot of this story is: You, sir, will need to play twice as much in order to pick up my slack and set the cosmic balance right once more.

Wink

...or a great blues lyric:

I was wrestling with my congas late one night after my baby left me...

LOL

As far as setting the Cosmic Balance right, how about if I play for the same time but play at twice the tempo?

(You really hit the "synchronicity" button today with your use of the word "cosmic." I am writing an essay about my late best friend from high school and the title is "Cosmic.")

01-29-2019, 09:30 AM
Sounds like you were one heckuva best friend. I’m sure your bestie would be honored.

My last two 40min practice sessions have been pretty bad. Sloppy/fumblefest playing. Being forced to accept the unacceptable sure sucks. My plan is to try and maintain some semblance of low level proficiency until after the big ride, then hit it hard upon my return. I’m actually even thinking about lessons focusing on my weaker areas. On a positive note, however, all this PT has me strong like bull. I’m gonna climb off that bike after a 9 hour day and feel ready to do 3 more.

On a side note: Want! —-> https://www.fender.com/products/acoustas...ic-guitars

01-29-2019, 09:49 AM
(01-29-2019 09:30 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Sounds like you were one heckuva best friend. I’m sure your bestie would be honored.

My last two 40min practice sessions have been pretty bad. Sloppy/fumblefest playing. Being forced to accept the unacceptable sure sucks. My plan is to try and maintain some semblance of low level proficiency until after the big ride, then hit it hard upon my return. I’m actually even thinking about lessons focusing on my weaker areas. On a positive note, however, all this PT has me strong like bull. I’m gonna climb off that bike after a 9 hour day and feel ready to do 3 more.

On a side note: Want! —-> https://www.fender.com/products/acoustas...ic-guitars

Da! Strong like Bull!

I have a theory about practice. There is an ebb and flow, a seasonal nature to the way our brains learn new skills. We start out on something new, make some fairly quick progress, then slow down for several reasons (a-the material gets harder, b-we lose focus and energy). Then, our practice sessions actually get...bad...our brain is telling us we are reaching a pause or a changeover. Then, after a short break or trying some new challenge, out vim and vigor return and we start the cycle again.

I find the "bad" sessions immediately precede a new and impressive growth spurt.

Hey that Fender Acoustasonic actually looks very cool. I'd like to hear it. (I like how they use that old name. I have their Acoustasonic Jr. amp.)

Thanks for your kind words on my project. My pal was very special. It was so sweet how dedicated he was to his wife and daughter. He simply lived for them. It was so sad to see him go at only 59. He and his pal were huge in getting me into Progressive rock back in HS.

02-07-2019, 09:39 AM
This tired old world could use more folks like your friend in order to balance out the selfishness on display every day.

Not much going on over here music-wise. Although I did pick up a Singular Sound Beat Buddy. Fun!!! Also, here’s a quick lil vid showcasing the versatility of the acoustasonic tele—-> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OuhsAyRpM6U

Radiculopathy recovery is ongoing. Riding a little further/playing a little longer every day. Still a mere shadow of my former self, but at least there’s hope now.

Collecting all the necessary accoutrements for a 24 day ride in the bush. “Moto camping”...loosely defined as spending a small fortune to live like a homeless vagrant for 3wks. Meh...

02-07-2019, 10:37 AM
(02-07-2019 09:39 AM)Sunset Wrote:  This tired old world could use more folks like your friend in order to balance out the selfishness on display every day.

Not much going on over here music-wise. Although I did pick up a Singular Sound Beat Buddy. Fun!!! Also, here’s a quick lil vid showcasing the versatility of the acoustasonic tele—-> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OuhsAyRpM6U

Radiculopathy recovery is ongoing. Riding a little further/playing a little longer every day. Still a mere shadow of my former self, but at least there’s hope now.

Collecting all the necessary accoutrements for a 24 day ride in the bush. “Moto camping”...loosely defined as spending a small fortune to live like a homeless vagrant for 3wks. Meh...

Indeed.

I am pleased you are slowly recovering. While you might be a "shadow," moving forward is better than not moving.

I hear you on the moto camping. But it is glorious to be out there. I am envious. Which reminds me of the opening of a certain old TV show which features that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsztoaU9Ls

02-10-2019, 09:40 AM
Reminds me of hoisting wheelies down a deserted Sand Highway in Pismo back in the late 70’s.Smile

And, on a wholly unrelated note, here’s Andy Timmons doing Bohemian Rhapsody during NAMM ‘19(skip to 10:45) Niiiiiice....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ggZpsKvzc

After hearing this tune literally hundreds of times I’m kinda Rhapsody’d out, but Timmons sure does a great job on it.

02-16-2019, 02:27 PM
Played well today.Smile

02-18-2019, 09:23 AM
Cool!

Was that "Well, well, well" by Lennon?
Or "Oh, Well" by Fleetwood Mac?