Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
what are you playing?
04-16-2012, 02:53 PM
RE: what are you playing?
(04-16-2012 02:26 PM)Nawlins Wrote:  Haven't seen anyone else's drumkit on here yet (other than you-know-who's!) so I figured I'd dig around in my photo files, and found this one. It was set up in the garage last summer to make sure I still had all the necessary pieces-parts and to put the new heads on. It's still all wrapped up in the basement,...change of plans on building the new "studio-garage' this year sadly. Tama Rockstars:
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h480...ums045.jpg

Since I've met most of my neighbors now, I think I'll just set them back up in the garage again and pound away!Big Grin

Oooooh, cowbell! We need more of that... Tongue

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Do I spy a pair of "signature" pro-mark 727'S
04-16-2012, 07:02 PM
I have enough gear to outfit a couple bands, it seems. I spent a few years a while back avoiding work by selling guitars for a living, and way too many (or not enough) of them followed me home. I was lucky to get some good deals - my Les Pauls, my Rickenbacker, Strat, a couple cool amps, and Martin acoustics.
Despite all this stuff, I am simply a legend in my own living room.
I can play a few things by a lot of artists - The Boyz, Pink Floyd, hometown boys Aerosmith, The Who (Won't Get Fooled Again is one of my favorite songs to play) and a bunch of others.
04-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Well hey there, JrGtr! Nice to meet a fellow player. Now, I'm pretty much a beginner and I've been working on stuff by the Canadian Polka Trio mostly. But I have a nice acoustic and a nice electric so I'm starting to branch out a bit. Ren Man (my Hubby) says that if I can learn to play Lerxst's stuff, everything else will be a breeze. Well.... not exactly but that stuff sure is a workout, both physically and mentally.

Last week I was visiting Atlanta and a fellow player brought a couple of acoustics to jam on. He's an amazing player and I learned quite a bit from him in only a couple of hours. I showed him Presto and Resist and we both knew Wish You Were Here.

Been trying to work on scales this week. Oy!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
04-17-2012, 09:01 AM
I try my hand at the drums, and of course I am interested in playing stuff by Rush. I have a litany of songs I attempt from the guys, along with some songs by many other artists.

The songs I try to play by Rush are:

Animate, Lessons, Freewill, Fly by Night, Where's My Thing?, Alien Shore,
Tom Sawyer, I Think I'm Going Bald, Spirit of Radio, Workin' Them Angels, Bastille Day, Far Cry, Totem, Best I Can and of course YYZ.

I can play them all the way through, although poorly in my opinion, of course.

Some other artists I like to play songs from are Sunny Day Real Estate (Seven and In Circles), Geddy's solo album (My Favorite Headache, Runaway Train, Workin at Perfekt and Home on the Strange), many of the Journey songs along with some Jethro Tull and a couple Led Zepplin.

Here is the kit I hit:

[Image: KitfromLeftSide.jpg]

It is a DW custom set with Neil's Paragon cymbals. I am awed by them every time I get to play them! I am actually taking next week off to "Bond" with them better. It took a week just to set them up after I got them back in Feb of this year. It was exhausting, especially because I feel like I have the mechanical aptitude of an earthworm.

After next week of solid practice and playing daily I am then going to start looking for people that are like minded and want to create original music. I am now fully aware that my passion for the drums is bone deep, and also humbled completely by the fact I will always need to practice and take lessons...forever.

I play other peoples music, and especially stuff by Rush, because just like Ren Man says...if I am able to actually play those songs, others will likely be, or at least seem, a bit easier.

That has certainly been my experience so far!

"Time is always flying no matter what you do...
Be sure your time is flying the way you want it to!"
04-17-2012, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-17-2012 09:35 AM by N'awlins.)
Sweet kit there M&M! I also used to have a much larger kit, the Tama "Cage" with double bass, concert toms, overhead cymbals, etc., but the damn thing was such a pain in the arse to tear down/set up three nights a week, I downsized completely after the last band I was in. (It sure did look cool though!)
(04-16-2012 05:56 PM)desertbear Wrote:  Do I spy a pair of "signature" pro-mark 727'S

Hey Bear! Not sure if they are in that pic or not, but I've used the Promark 747's ever since I was 13. With the beating my hands have taken over the years from playing, work, etc. I am thinking of going to a smaller circumferance stick. Which, to me anyway, is like driving a V-8 all your life and having to downsize to a Kia!Tongue

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
04-17-2012, 09:39 AM
(04-17-2012 09:32 AM)Nawlins Wrote:  Sweet kit there M&M! I also used to have a much larger kit, the Tama "Cage" with double bass, concert toms, overhead cymbals, etc., but the damn thing was such a pain in the arse to tear down/set up three nights a week, I downsized completely after the last band I was in. (It sure did look cool though!)

Thanks N'awlins!

I figure I have to get real good at drumming...otherwise I will never be able to afford the requisite Drum Tech to haul those muthahs around and set them up! Tongue

Truly though, I dread ever taking them down myself...luckily the mind tends to block out painful remembrances....who knows...

04-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Wow........that must be a gazzilion pounds worth.....

I used to use a big kit if anyone is interested there is a clip here of it, (and it took about an hour to break it down and case it for movement). In the end I just got so fed up with moving it I went back to a small 4piece kit, and 2 crashes a ride and Hihat, and single Speedking pedal etc.

NWoBHM at European RUSH Convention
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-17-2012, 10:30 AM
(04-17-2012 10:25 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Wow........that must be a gazzilion pounds worth.....

I used to use a big kit if anyone is interested there is a clip here of it, (and it took about an hour to break it down and case it for movement). In the end I just got so fed up with moving it I went back to a small 4piece kit, and 2 crashes a ride and Hihat, and single Speedking pedal etc.

That is a beautiful kit!! And you can actually play yours!!

That must have been a ton of fun...thanks for putting that video up!! Awesome!!!

04-17-2012, 10:38 AM
(04-17-2012 10:25 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Wow........that must be a gazzilion pounds worth.....

Brilliant video, Tim!

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....