Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what are you playing?
01-09-2018, 09:22 AM
RE: what are you playing?
(01-08-2018 10:48 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Thanks gentlemen. I'm super excited about how well things are progressing. Haven't had this much fun with music in a very long time.

And I've always felt a little good natured ribbing is how one knows he's in with the set. Besides, I only play hair metal that maintains the highest levels of integrity and gravitas.Big Grin

"Super excited..."
"Progressing..."
"...this much fun..."

I love to see these words. They are good signs.

Make each day count, kids!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Hey Markus,
Riley here. I have also been playing music for a long time, but have not performed in front of people for about 20 years or so. Its just something I do now to keep the right hemisphere of my brain from atrophying.
One of the bands I was in was fortunate enough to have a singer that could do Robert Plant to a T (which is pretty rare from my experience) so we did a lot of Zeppelin tunes with him. We also did Ramble On which was fun.
I have a Geddy Lee edition Fender Jazz right now, as well as a Music Man Stingray 4 string, both are wonderful instruments and after all the cheap junk I've played on as a younger guy I appreciate the more well crafted axes. I guess these are more "mid range" than high end, but very very playable and sound quite good. Got a few bass amps, a small Ampeg combo and a small Roland (the Roland actually sounds killer), but my main driver is a Mark Bass Little Tube amp with a 410 and a 18" bass bin underneath. Its way more than I need actually for just strumming around the house but it is nice to have. Also have several 6 strings, a Martin dreadnought that sounds very sweet.
Until recently I was jamming with a guitar player and we played exclusively tunes from a Canadian trio, I even picked up the Roland PK5 foot pedal unit although I am not a "real" keyboardist it isn't real difficult to play the basic chords to fill it up. So between my computer chess board and my screwing around with music I have been trying to keep the cobwebs from getting too thick in my skull. Heh heh heh. That and doing some motorcycling in the warmer weather keeps me feeling young.
I don't pop in here to the forum very often but its always nice to chat about music with like minded folks. I was getting into Dream Theater pretty heavy for awhile, crazy talented guys. I was also lucky enough to get to talk to Les Claypool recently on the Primus tour when they rolled through Akron (I'm in the suburbs east of Cleveland), it was cool to hear him talk about his bass playing and we sampled his wines from his winery and so forth. I was very surprised at what a friendly and open guy he is, it was a very cool experience. He is such a phenomenal bass player.
You take care, hope 2018 brings you all the best in life and none of the other.
Peace.
01-12-2018, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 12:42 PM by Nung.)
(01-12-2018 12:29 PM)HarleyMan2112 Wrote:  Hey Markus,
Riley here. I have also been playing music for a long time, but have not performed in front of people for about 20 years or so. Its just something I do now to keep the right hemisphere of my brain from atrophying.
One of the bands I was in was fortunate enough to have a singer that could do Robert Plant to a T (which is pretty rare from my experience) so we did a lot of Zeppelin tunes with him. We also did Ramble On which was fun.
I have a Geddy Lee edition Fender Jazz right now, as well as a Music Man Stingray 4 string, both are wonderful instruments and after all the cheap junk I've played on as a younger guy I appreciate the more well crafted axes. I guess these are more "mid range" than high end, but very very playable and sound quite good. Got a few bass amps, a small Ampeg combo and a small Roland (the Roland actually sounds killer), but my main driver is a Mark Bass Little Tube amp with a 410 and a 18" bass bin underneath. Its way more than I need actually for just strumming around the house but it is nice to have. Also have several 6 strings, a Martin dreadnought that sounds very sweet.
Until recently I was jamming with a guitar player and we played exclusively tunes from a Canadian trio, I even picked up the Roland PK5 foot pedal unit although I am not a "real" keyboardist it isn't real difficult to play the basic chords to fill it up. So between my computer chess board and my screwing around with music I have been trying to keep the cobwebs from getting too thick in my skull. Heh heh heh. That and doing some motorcycling in the warmer weather keeps me feeling young.
I don't pop in here to the forum very often but its always nice to chat about music with like minded folks. I was getting into Dream Theater pretty heavy for awhile, crazy talented guys. I was also lucky enough to get to talk to Les Claypool recently on the Primus tour when they rolled through Akron (I'm in the suburbs east of Cleveland), it was cool to hear him talk about his bass playing and we sampled his wines from his winery and so forth. I was very surprised at what a friendly and open guy he is, it was a very cool experience. He is such a phenomenal bass player.
You take care, hope 2018 brings you all the best in life and none of the other.
Peace.

Hiya Harley!

Cool post. I admire the way you plug away at a number of hobbies; it really does help keep the mind and body younger. And we humans need artistic outlets.

You have a nice gear collection there. What you are triggering with the PK5 pedals?

How cool that you were able to hang out with Claypool. His wines too? VERY cool! I find that if one is lucky enough to come across a pro, treating them as regular folks works well.

And yes, to find a guy who can cover Plant's vocals is a challenge. I have a pal who used to do that but he had a series of strokes so that is all in the past now.

Another reason to live for the day!

01-12-2018, 03:23 PM
Hi Nung,
I was not previously aware of this before going to see the Primus show but Les and his wife Chaney I believe was her name very lovely woman, they have a vineyard and winery out in California wine country. From what I gather they make mostly Pinot Noir and have a couple of well respected winemakers in their employ. Now I am not a fancy-shmancy wine person that knows everything about all the vintages and regions & different grapes and so forth, but I do love me a good tasty glass of wine! (Or bottle heh heh) And their stuff is quite good. I had a shirt on that says "Got Peart?" on it (in reference to the Got Milk? slogan from a few years ago), and as soon as Les saw it he started laughing and said "I like that shirt!!" And you are right, he was a very down to earth "regular guy" and you could tell that he was really enjoying interacting with the people and telling us the stories that he was telling us. He also mentioned Geddy a couple of times as far as hanging out with him I guess they are friends, I remember seeing Les open on one show it was way back when before I really knew who he was but his playing was mind boggling.
I have a couple of Yamaha keyboards and electric pianos and thats what I was triggering with the PK5 as I said I am not a great key player like playing some crazy Yes or ELP stuff or anything, but its not real difficult to play some chords and it adds a lot to the sound.
Yes, you are 100% correct about enjoying every day of life, I am only 51 years old but there are so so many people that I went to school with that are no longer around, my motto is be happy and do something you love every day, you just don't know when this will be over man.
My next adventure: after reading several of Bubbas books I am so impressed by everything they do with those BMW GS machines...I am trading off my Harley this summer and getting a BMW, most likely a GS, I just have to experience it for myself. I've had several different Harleys and other bikes but have never experienced the German engineering but everything I read sounds amazing.
hey, nice chatting! Feel free to stay in touch and drop a line. I'm a bit of a loner, it seems like the Midwest is becoming sort of an angry place and I think a lot of it is economics with some people, but I always enjoy chatting with all sorts of people especially those that enjoy great music!
Peace.
-Riley
01-12-2018, 04:01 PM
(01-12-2018 03:23 PM)HarleyMan2112 Wrote:  Hi Nung,
I was not previously aware of this before going to see the Primus show but Les and his wife Chaney I believe was her name very lovely woman, they have a vineyard and winery out in California wine country. From what I gather they make mostly Pinot Noir and have a couple of well respected winemakers in their employ. Now I am not a fancy-shmancy wine person that knows everything about all the vintages and regions & different grapes and so forth, but I do love me a good tasty glass of wine! (Or bottle heh heh) And their stuff is quite good. I had a shirt on that says "Got Peart?" on it (in reference to the Got Milk? slogan from a few years ago), and as soon as Les saw it he started laughing and said "I like that shirt!!" And you are right, he was a very down to earth "regular guy" and you could tell that he was really enjoying interacting with the people and telling us the stories that he was telling us. He also mentioned Geddy a couple of times as far as hanging out with him I guess they are friends, I remember seeing Les open on one show it was way back when before I really knew who he was but his playing was mind boggling.
I have a couple of Yamaha keyboards and electric pianos and thats what I was triggering with the PK5 as I said I am not a great key player like playing some crazy Yes or ELP stuff or anything, but its not real difficult to play some chords and it adds a lot to the sound.
Yes, you are 100% correct about enjoying every day of life, I am only 51 years old but there are so so many people that I went to school with that are no longer around, my motto is be happy and do something you love every day, you just don't know when this will be over man.
My next adventure: after reading several of Bubbas books I am so impressed by everything they do with those BMW GS machines...I am trading off my Harley this summer and getting a BMW, most likely a GS, I just have to experience it for myself. I've had several different Harleys and other bikes but have never experienced the German engineering but everything I read sounds amazing.
hey, nice chatting! Feel free to stay in touch and drop a line. I'm a bit of a loner, it seems like the Midwest is becoming sort of an angry place and I think a lot of it is economics with some people, but I always enjoy chatting with all sorts of people especially those that enjoy great music!
Peace.
-Riley

Here is what I found:
http://claypoolcellars.com/

Pinto Noir is such a great varietal and that area is known for being great for the grape. How fun.

Good for you for having the keyboards. Playing keys (even on a basic level) is so helpful for one's musicianship and for composing. I really enjoy my keyboards.

I encourage you to go for a GS! I get to ride a Triumph 800 XC dual sport and it is so much fun to be on the road one minute and then the dirt another. The folks that do full tours on Adventure bikes look like they have so much fun. I'd like to do that one day (my backpacking fills up most of my vacation time normally). I also have a sport bike so i get the best of all worlds.

Thanks for adding to the chorus here!
I am sure Markus will pipe up soon...

01-14-2018, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 10:25 PM by Markus Awreallyus.)
Hi Riley, thanks for chiming in! That's an impressive arsenal you have. I bet your neighbors love it when you play Wink! Funny you mentioned Ramble On as we just finished our show last night with that. Our singer went off on the last few bars and just killed it! Unfortunately five mins after he came up to me with no voice. It was/is scary because he never had that happen before, a little better today he said. It sure is fun firing up the gear and kicking it after all these years but I must say it is starting to take its toll physically. We played from 9:45 to 1:45 last night with two 15 min breaks, all of us wanting to continue even though we were exhausted. Wow the power of music! I followed Squire and Ged a lot but I never pulled the trigger (ha! I punned) on pedals. I switched to 5 string a while back to add some low end and to avoid multiple tunings with today's music. Given that I don't use a 4 string live anymore but I have a fretless Steinberger for recording. Love the EMG pick ups. Cleveland rocks! Cheers!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
01-15-2018, 02:49 PM
Hey Markus,
I just wanted to acknowledge that I did enjoy your msg, heh heh, I see the original post was written some time ago but I did see that people had responded recently so that is why I replied to this thread.
Funny you mention Chris Squire, I would say he is probably my 2nd favorite bassist and inspiration after Dirk, I was sorry to hear of his passing a couple of years ago he was one of the true legends of bass. I got to meet Chris, Alan White and Steve Howe after their show at the Cleve House of Blues a few years back and my pic with those 3 is among my most prized possessions in my music memorabilia room.
I'm fortunate enough to have a few acres here that I'm on so the neighbors aren't really a problem but my MarkBass will rumble the house although I seldom turn it up that loud.
I have tossed around the idea of playing out at some bars and so forth again and it may happen at some point, sounds like you are having a good time with it. I had a 5 string myself at one point but it was just something that I never felt comfortable with it just always seemed like that extra string was throwing me off and "in the way" so to speak, I guess I was set in my ways by that point.
Going to run for now but I did want to respond to the message and tell you I am pleased to make your acquaintance.
Have a great day and keep jamming! :-)
Peace
Riley
Today, 09:25 AM
ZZ Top...just got paid. Something a little easier on the ol sausagefingers than the Eddie VH I've been working on.
Rhythm skills returning at a satisfactory, if not blistering, rate. Solo skills not so much.Dodgy Right hand is willing, left hand still noping out at this point.

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Today, 09:53 AM
(Today 09:25 AM)Sunset Wrote:  ZZ Top...just got paid. Something a little easier on the ol sausagefingers than the Eddie VH I've been working on.
Rhythm skills returning at a satisfactory, if not blistering, rate. Solo skills not so much.Dodgy Right hand is willing, left hand still noping out at this point.

Cool!
ZZ sure has some great guitar tones and lines.

And I'd rather be a good rhythm player than a mediocre soloist. Rhythm is everything.

Hey Riley, how cool to have enough land that you can make some noise. I had that for about 5 years. it was so cool to play drums at 11 at night if I wanted to.

Great to hear that you met the main guys in Yes. Squire is one of my favorite musical heroes. The loss is still hard to get over.