Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
what are you playing?
08-09-2018, 06:31 AM
RE: what are you playing?
Nothing new at the moment. Just consolidating my current holdings.

Looking forward to visiting this lil place soon though--->. http://www.lightningjoes.com/

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2018, 08:10 PM
I’m not, but the SIL is encouraging and showing the, almost 15 month old, grandson how to play the harmonica. He’s not playing any songs, but definitely gets the gist on what to do to make sounds.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
Yesterday, 09:24 AM
Broon's Bane over and over until my hand fell off. Fun!!!!

Side note: Lightning Joe's was a real breath of fresh air. Dozens of amazing instruments right there on the premises. They were more than happy to let me play a very expensive brand new 1995 Ernie Ball EVH signature. Felt good with great tonal qualities, but being the utilitarian type, I just can't bring myself to pay a premium for rarity. For me, if it feels good and sounds good it is good. I don't care if there were 2 units produced or 200,000.

Side rant: I think I'm done trying to support any of the mom&pops within a 100mi radius of my location, as they don't have what I want, can't even get what I want, and don't give a rat's about me anyway. 7 months ago(in mid January)I handed over 20% deposit and placed an order for a very specific instrument with the mom&pop ive been supporting for over 30yrs. Yesterday, after being grilled, they finally came clean about what they'd done. They pussyfooted around until March to place their order, whereupon they were told by the manufacturer that all of the very limited production of this instrument was already spoken for. They willfully and purposely held on to my deposit and neglected to inform me of the situation for over 4mo, hoping that they'd find some way to pull their nuts out of the fire.

So after calling half a dozen mom&pops within 200mi and getting the same "nope, sorry" answer...I swallowed my principles and called (insert gigantic guitar mart here).

"Yes sir! I'll have it here for you in 3 days."

I'm done trying to support people who have basically become clarinet rental agencies for the California elementary school system. Considering the current business climate, that may sound a little harsh. But I'm tired of banging my head against the wall for a lost cause.

/rant Sad

Yesterday, 10:19 AM
(Yesterday 09:24 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Broon's Bane over and over until my hand fell off. Fun!!!!

Side note: Lightning Joe's was a real breath of fresh air. Dozens of amazing instruments right there on the premises. They were more than happy to let me play a very expensive brand new 1995 Ernie Ball EVH signature. Felt good with great tonal qualities, but being the utilitarian type, I just can't bring myself to pay a premium for rarity. For me, if it feels good and sounds good it is good. I don't care if there were 2 units produced or 200,000.

Side rant: I think I'm done trying to support any of the mom&pops within a 100mi radius of my location, as they don't have what I want, can't even get what I want, and don't give a rat's about me anyway. 7 months ago(in mid January)I handed over 20% deposit and placed an order for a very specific instrument with the mom&pop ive been supporting for over 30yrs. Yesterday, after being grilled, they finally came clean about what they'd done. They pussyfooted around until March to place their order, whereupon they were told by the manufacturer that all of the very limited production of this instrument was already spoken for. They willfully and purposely held on to my deposit and neglected to inform me of the situation for over 4mo, hoping that they'd find some way to pull their nuts out of the fire.

So after calling half a dozen mom&pops within 200mi and getting the same "nope, sorry" answer...I swallowed my principles and called (insert gigantic guitar mart here).

"Yes sir! I'll have it here for you in 3 days."

I'm done trying to support people who have basically become clarinet rental agencies for the California elementary school system. Considering the current business climate, that may sound a little harsh. But I'm tired of banging my head against the wall for a lost cause.

/rant Sad

Wow; there are several very good reasons to rant about that situation. They were very bad doggies...the first decision was bad enough but the cover up would sour me completely.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Yesterday, 03:33 PM
It would appear that, as I am drawn to balance, balance is also drawn to me. After my hiatus I found wonderful things: amazing new to me technology, relatively reasonable pricing, and even great internet based instructionals.

Balancing that out, I find the business model I was accustomed to be practically non-existent, and the trusted mom&pop turned into some scheisty den of iniquity.

And so it goes...