Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Lobster & crab legs for beginners...
04-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Question Lobster & crab legs for beginners...
So, I'm on a seafood kick, but I can only do shrimp cocktail, oyster stew, and sardines on crackers w/ cheese so many times. I'm looking to get more adventureous and move on to lobster and crab legs.

How do YOU peeps cook them? Steam? Boil? Grill? Seasonings? How do you do the butter sauce?

(sheesh making myself hungry now...)

Thanks in advance!

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2012, 08:17 AM
RE: Lobster & crab legs for beginners...
If Alaskan kings, split in half (sometimes you can buy them split), drizzle w/ butter and (good) paprika then bake on high. There's a lot of ways to cook them, I have found baking on high (450+) to be the best. Steaming is second best, if you have to, throw em in a pot and boil them.(yawn) If you don't over boil them they are fine. I really don't like boiling anything unless its pasta or soup.
Lobsters are best steamed or char-broiled. Once again you can boil them if you have to. If tails, split and bake or grill w/ butter and paprika. The smokey flavor of the paprika caramelized w/ the butter is a treat in itself.
Hope this helps Smile
I have had a "might powerful hankerin'" for some shellfish lately. I think I could go to Alaska and back for the price of a King crab dinner around here.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
04-14-2012, 12:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2012 12:16 PM by knitterbookbinder.)
(04-13-2012 09:41 PM)CanyonDancer Wrote:  So, I'm on a seafood kick, but I can only do shrimp cocktail, oyster stew, and sardines on crackers w/ cheese so many times. I'm looking to get more adventureous and move on to lobster and crab legs.

How do YOU peeps cook them? Steam? Boil? Grill? Seasonings? How do you do the butter sauce?

(sheesh making myself hungry now...)

Thanks in advance!

Lots of other things to do with shrimp than a cocktail! I buy the 31/50 size (that's how many you get in a pound -- the lower the number, the bigger they are) frozen raw with shells on, which frequently come on sale here. They're loose, so you can shake out as many as you want and then chuck the rest back in the freezer.

I thaw them, remove (and save) the shells, and then BBQ or panfry them. In a pinch, if I'm having pasta as well, I'll even just toss them into the pasta at the end of its cooking cycle! Drain, throw in some good EVOO, roasted garlic, sundried tomatoes, and cover with grated Asiago cheese.

The 8/12 shrimp are like small lobster tails, and great on the BBQ.

Had bay scallops last night. Gently panfried, removed from the pan, then caramelized an onion, added some sherry vinegar, then heavy cream. Cooked that down to a thick sauce, then added a spoonful of Dijon mustard and the scallops to heat through. Poured the lot over a handful of rainbow fusilli.

I love abalone, but it's hard to find....

Dungeness crabs are great on the BBQ, but I don't like the having to kill them first part: ditto with lobsters. :-P

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
04-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I tend not to try seafood, which is an awful loss for me, I like prawns (shrimp) up to Tiger Prawn size, and have really enjoyed Lobster I have tried. The girls always go for seafood, of any kind, on holiday, and usually spend the next day throwing up or sh*tting themselves.....which always makes me think, maybe I will try something else.....
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-14-2012, 02:28 PM
There is a link on the "mashed potato spring roll" thread, from a while back. Shrimp Dejong, if you want to get creative! Its great if done properly.

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
04-14-2012, 03:12 PM
With crab, lobster and shrimp you have different crab boil seasonings or Old Bay. For lobster tails, I prefer the grill. All you need is to add butter to flesh side with salt (kosher) and pepper. Grill for 5-6 minutes on the shell then turn over and grill the flesh side for about 5 minutes.

Crab I also prefer steamed with old bay seasonings. But you might want to try a Low Country boil:
4 lbs of red potatoes, 5 quarts water, 1 bag of crab boil season, 3-4 tablespoons of Old Bay, 2lbs of kielbasa (cooked) sausage, 6 ears of corn spilt in half, 4 lbs of shrimp and crab legs (size depends on how big the pot is).

Add water, potatoes and seasoning to the pot. Cover the pot and heat to a rolling boil and cook for 5 minutes.
Add sausage with corn and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Add shrimp with crab legs and cook for 4 minutes or until shrimp turns pink.
Drain the pot and place the food on a big platter or newspaper and dig in.

Serves 8 -10