Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed
04-18-2012, 05:13 AM
Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed
So, the family is headed to Florida to see my parents in just a few days. Our little one (not quite two) has NEVER watched an ounce of TV and we will be captive on a plane for WAY to long in order to get there. Nor has K ever been on a plane so, my questions are:

Should we buy a portable DVD player for her to watch when she starts to get overly squirmy, possibly becoming "that child" on her first plane ride, and the toys/activities we do have no longer hold her attention? (We would only show Miyazaki etc movies so content is not really a concern.)

If we should buy one, what brand/model should we look into? Screen sizes and battery life really do seem to widely vary... I can easily head to one of the local suppliers of such products after work tomorrow so any help with this is certainly appreciated. THANKS!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2012, 05:50 AM
RE: Gadget and "Other" Advice Needed
Most of the flights I have been on there is loads of entertainment provided - screens, tonnes of channels, all you need are your headphones.

I am guessing you don`t get this on US Domestic flights?

You might think about an iPod, where you can download games, music and films?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-18-2012, 08:14 AM
Any flight that I have been on in the States always has entertainment provided, for a price..

Do you have a laptop computer? Our last trip out to Hawaii, we just downloaded some movies and a couple of football games that I hadn't seen yet onto our laptop and that kept us going for a few hours. Also packed a spare battery...
04-18-2012, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-18-2012 07:11 PM by knitterbookbinder.)
Flights within Canada have a reasonable selection of TV channels to watch, including a kids one. Sounds like she'd be mesmerized with just the movement and colours, but a small light set of headphones (I like Sennheisers) would work for her too.

If you alternate that with whatever fun you can download onto a netbook/laptop (games, movies), you might not need that extra battery....

eta: And at least on Westjet, the television channels are free, but they charge for movies.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
04-18-2012, 09:39 AM
The flights I have been on didn't have any movies or entertainment at all. Huh And the space was so small I couldn't even open my laptop up all the way.

The best entertainment in my opinion is to look out the window. Here is a photo I snapped looking out the window on a recent flight. You never know what you might see...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
04-18-2012, 06:34 PM
What? Is that Ozymandias?

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.