Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Toronto @ ACC October 14
05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
RE: Toronto @ ACC October 14
Here's a linky poo to the Courtyard Marriott in Downtown Toronto where a few of us BnG folks will be staying. Rates were $129 at last check, and it is aprox 1.5 miles from ACC. Will finalize dinner/after-show plans as it gets closer, but good times and good friends will be on the menu fo-sho!

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/yy...-downtown/

Look forward to meeting and ROCKIN' with ya'll! Cool

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Miss a little, miss a lot! Hey guys, glad to hear about the show here at the ACC. Ground Zero for me. There are a few things you might be interested to know.

First the ACC has three restaurants of various quality, one of them for sure over looks the arena. So watching the set up should be possible from there. Also there are hundreds of restaurants with in close proximity to the ACC that food shouldn't be an issue. Some are upscale but there is something to suit everyone. Street meat to French cuisine.

There is a pretty good transit system here with street cars running east and west and the subway running north and south. Parking is crazy and expensive so best avoided.

Porter Airlines flies in to downtown Toronto from Boston, Washington and New York. This let's you avoid Pearson (YYZ) which is something you want to do. Pearson is about a $50 cab ride to downtown or the Marriott.

For those rockin the cash, the ACC does have suite to view the show. Just sayin'. Wink

I would love to hook up with any of you, though this will be a few months after my surgery (June 12th) so eating will be pretty light for me and no drinking. I will be able to offer up some transport here and there if someone is stuck. No worries.

It's been ages since my last polka night so looking forward to this in a big way.

Oh Bleat!
05-10-2012, 10:16 PM
Jetrow, it would be awesome to see you! Debskis, thanks for the tip for the Marriot. I think thats where we are going to be staying too. Is that walking distance to/from the ACC do you think? I have never been to Toronto and neither has my "partner in crime" who is coming with me. We wanted to avoid as much driving as possible, especially city driving!

Our current plans (subject to change I'm sure!) is that we will be leaving our area of NY at about 7 in the morning. According to mapquest, its about a 5 1/2 hour drive to Toronto which should get us there in plenty of time to find our hotel before the show. Is there anything to do in the afternoon in that general area that will keep two teenagers from getting too bored?

Intolerant of Intolerance.
05-11-2012, 05:13 AM
(05-10-2012 10:16 PM)ladijules Wrote:  Jetrow, it would be awesome to see you! Debskis, thanks for the tip for the Marriot. I think thats where we are going to be staying too. Is that walking distance to/from the ACC do you think? I have never been to Toronto and neither has my "partner in crime" who is coming with me. We wanted to avoid as much driving as possible, especially city driving!

Our current plans (subject to change I'm sure!) is that we will be leaving our area of NY at about 7 in the morning. According to mapquest, its about a 5 1/2 hour drive to Toronto which should get us there in plenty of time to find our hotel before the show. Is there anything to do in the afternoon in that general area that will keep two teenagers from getting too bored?

There is Kensington Market, Queen St. Yorkville shopping and the usual touristy Hippo Bus tours around the city. Depending on their age, legal drinking age is 19 here, there is also the distillery district.

All across the downtown core, there are Bixi bikes. You simply rent these in one location and drop them off near to where you're going. They are all over the place and while you sign up online, you just use a credit card at the bike lockers to extract and return the bikes. It's pretty cool actually. Many streets have a designated bike lane as well.

There is also the CN tower if it's a clear day, and the weather is nice, some may opt for a little walk along the outside tethered in safety gear, or stick with the some what more mundane glass floor.

You can buy a TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) day pass that allows you to jump on and off street cars and the subway as you please. It's a pretty good way to get around the core. As well there is the PATH system which is an all underground walking network for the mole people. Rolleyes

I should mention the harbour tours though it would seem October is late in the season to enjoy that. Last year it was very nice warm fall weather here in Toronto so it's perhaps worth checking out for those interested.

There is no shortage of things to see and do in Toronto.
Can't wait for all you folks to arrive.

Oh Bleat!
05-11-2012, 05:45 AM
(05-10-2012 10:16 PM)ladijules Wrote:  Jetrow, it would be awesome to see you! Debskis, thanks for the tip for the Marriot. I think thats where we are going to be staying too. Is that walking distance to/from the ACC do you think? I have never been to Toronto and neither has my "partner in crime" who is coming with me. We wanted to avoid as much driving as possible, especially city driving!

I would say the Courtyard is a decent walk from ACC, but anything closer was quite a bit more spendy, at least that I found online. If it's a nice day and there is a good meeting place for dinner along the way before the show, then it should be fine (My choice of shoes that evening will be key to how "fine" it really is!).

Depending on where we go after, we'll probably just grab a cab w/whomever else is still standing back to the hotel.

I agree w/Jetrow that the CN Tower is a must-do at some point while you are there if the visibility is good (although it can take a couple hours, so plan accordingly) If you do the CN Tower, I think you can order tix online, which would save time waiting when you get there. If you/kids are hockey fans, the Hockey Hall of Fame is nearby as well, connected to the Eaton Centre I believe.

Traffic on a Sunday shouldn't be too terrible, but it's a HUGE city compared to Buffalo or Syracuse, so def give yourselves extra time to get around.

Let me know if you have any further questions...Jetrow is obviously more familiar with the area given that he's a local, but I'm happy to help if I can.

I look forward to meeting all of you!!!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
(05-11-2012 05:45 AM)debskis Wrote:  

I would say the Courtyard is a decent walk from ACC, but anything closer was quite a bit more spendy, at least that I found online. If it's a nice day and there is a good meeting place for dinner along the way before the show, then it should be fine (My choice of shoes that evening will be key to how "fine" it really is!).

Depending on where we go after, we'll probably just grab a cab w/whomever else is still standing back to the hotel.

I agree w/Jetrow that the CN Tower is a must-do at some point while you are there if the visibility is good (although it can take a couple hours, so plan accordingly) If you do the CN Tower, I think you can order tix online, which would save time waiting when you get there. If you/kids are hockey fans, the Hockey Hall of Fame is nearby as well, connected to the Eaton Centre I believe.

Traffic on a Sunday shouldn't be too terrible, but it's a HUGE city compared to Buffalo or Syracuse, so def give yourselves extra time to get around.

Let me know if you have any further questions...Jetrow is obviously more familiar with the area given that he's a local, but I'm happy to help if I can.

I look forward to meeting all of you!!!

Marriott Courtyard is at College and Yonge st. I believe. So that's a fair hike to the ACC. Luckily though there is a subway station right at Yonge and College that will take you down to Union Station on Front st. in just a few minutes. The Hockey Hall of Fame is at Front and Yonge. Eaton Centre stretches from Queen St. on the south end to Dundas st. on the North side. It's a mall. Seen one you've seen them all.

Toronto is for sure a walking city. If you're fit, walking down Yonge st.from the Marriott will be very enjoyable with lots to see and plenty of places to eat. But you want some good shoes which usually doesn't mean fashionable. Wink

Something all of you should be aware of. There are lots of homeless people here. So don't be shocked when you see people sleeping on the corners or mooching for change. There are plenty of shelters but the hardcore choose to live out doors. While generally the same rules apply that you use good common sense just as you would at home, just be aware of yourself. Toronto is a very safe city, even more so during the day.

Cabs are everywhere so just put your hand up and whistling is fine.

Also for the musically inclined, there are a good number of music stores within easy reach by transit that are worth a look. 12th fret, Long and Mcquade, Steve's and many boutique shops that specialize in the good stuff.

Lots of great places for picture taking too.

Oh Bleat!
05-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Jetrow and Debskis, thank you for the info! You guys are awesome! Now I have at least a better idea of what I'm going to be dealing with. Cities don't bother me much, but a bored and over excited teenager drives me nuts! Now I can give them some choices for "plans" of what to do to stay out of mischief until the concert.

I think walking to the concert is going to depend on how dark it is and what the weather is like. Not walking through a late fall downpour or snow storm...at least... not when there are cabs available! I think a cab will definitely be in order to go BACK to the hotel though.

Okay, so I have a stupid question. Um... does Canada do daylight savings time? Or am I going to have to reset my watch when I cross the border to make sure I make the concert on time?

Intolerant of Intolerance.
05-13-2012, 05:22 AM
(05-12-2012 09:28 PM)ladijules Wrote:  Jetrow and Debskis, thank you for the info! You guys are awesome! Now I have at least a better idea of what I'm going to be dealing with. Cities don't bother me much, but a bored and over excited teenager drives me nuts! Now I can give them some choices for "plans" of what to do to stay out of mischief until the concert.

I think walking to the concert is going to depend on how dark it is and what the weather is like. Not walking through a late fall downpour or snow storm...at least... not when there are cabs available! I think a cab will definitely be in order to go BACK to the hotel though.

Okay, so I have a stupid question. Um... does Canada do daylight savings time? Or am I going to have to reset my watch when I cross the border to make sure I make the concert on time?

Glad to help! Yes we have daylight savings s time here. Except in Saskatchewan, they just sit and mostly watch everyone else run around mess with their clocks and show up late for work. lol

Oh Bleat!
05-13-2012, 07:29 AM
(05-13-2012 05:22 AM)Jetrow Wrote:  Glad to help! Yes we have daylight savings s time here. Except in Saskatchewan, they just sit and mostly watch everyone else run around mess with their clocks and show up late for work. lol

:-) I'm in Saskatoon at the moment, and the story here is that the wind stops them from changing the clock.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
05-13-2012, 11:57 AM
(05-13-2012 07:29 AM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-13-2012 05:22 AM)Jetrow Wrote:  Glad to help! Yes we have daylight savings s time here. Except in Saskatchewan, they just sit and mostly watch everyone else run around mess with their clocks and show up late for work. lol

:-) I'm in Saskatoon at the moment, and the story here is that the wind stops them from changing the clock.

Ha good one! Paris of the Prairies as memorialized by the Tragically Hip. I met my wife in Regina. I remember that unrelenting wind, mosquitoes and hordes of grass hoppers. I hear the place is booming with immigration and oil money.

Oh Bleat!