Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cider
04-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Cider
Spotted one called Black Fox (http://dunkertons.co.uk/buying-the-cider/ -- it's the third one down) while shopping at the good neighbourhood bottle shop today.

They list it as "medium dry" and I prefer mine extra dry (good champers too!), so I didn't pick one up.

Anyone (ahem, calling NWoBHM!) care to comment on it?

(What I did come home with was Growers Extra Dry Apple, which on a lovely warm day like we have here right now, is just the thing to go with paella.)

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2012, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 02:12 AM by NWoBHM.)
RE: Cider
Hi KBB,

Well - living next to Hereford I am a keen cider drinker - although these days I have gone off Bulmers (Hereford) a bit.

I tend to drink Westons (from Much Markle Hereford) that is very nice, and also Aspall Suffolk Cyder (yes spelling is with a y) - which is a fantastic drink -

As you can imagine over here there are all sorts of brands of cider from local small breweries (my MIL`s house is an old Cider Mill, and most of the trees around here are cider apples), to the big concerns.

I have not tried Dunkertons - but will see if they have some a Tesco`s tomorrow and give it a try and report back.

Actually having taken a look I see they are at Pembridge, Leominster (Herefordshire), second town up the road from here - I used to have flying lessons over Pembridge - funny old world aint it?

Remember - a cider is not only for Summer, it is for all year!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
(04-26-2012 01:59 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Hi KBB,

Well - living next to Hereford I am a keen cider drinker - although these days I have gone off Bulmers (Hereford) a bit.

I tend to drink Westons (from Much Markle Hereford) that is very nice, and also Aspall Suffolk Cyder (yes spelling is with a y) - which is a fantastic drink -

As you can imagine over here there are all sorts of brands of cider from local small breweries (my MIL`s house is an old Cider Mill, and most of the trees around here are cider apples), to the big concerns.

I have not tried Dunkertons - but will see if they have some a Tesco`s tomorrow and give it a try and report back.

Actually having taken a look I see they are at Pembridge, Leominster (Herefordshire), second town up the road from here - I used to have flying lessons over Pembridge - funny old world aint it?

Remember - a cider is not only for Summer, it is for all year!!

Oh, absolutely!

The shop I was at yesterday had both Westons and Bulmer, and Magners in both bottles and cans, no less.

And at least one Perry in stock as well: hard to find good ones, although there's a wonderful brewpub in Victoria, British Columbia called Spinnaker's that regularly has Wyder's apple and perry on tap, along with their suite of in-house brews.

Along with my regular Extra Dry Apple (http://www.growerscider.com), I also love their pomegranate one, essentially the Extra Dry Apple, plus pomegranate juice. Very refreshing on a hot day, or with a good curry!

The rest of the concocted flavours are kind of nasty, IMO.

----
04-26-2012, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2012 01:21 PM by NWoBHM.)
Cold Cider and a ploughman`s on a Summer day is heaven.....

As a lad we used to go "bail hauling" after school and help the farmers get their hay in - they made us work like adults, but they paid us like adults too, and at the end of the day about 10.00 pm while it was still light they would let us drink cider like adults too........there is not a drink created that can wash away hay dust and a thirst so big you could photo it, like Cider....happy nostalgia..
04-29-2012, 09:40 AM
(04-26-2012 01:19 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Cold Cider and a ploughman`s on a Summer day is heaven.....

As a lad we used to go "bail hauling" after school and help the farmers get their hay in - they made us work like adults, but they paid us like adults too, and at the end of the day about 10.00 pm while it was still light they would let us drink cider like adults too........there is not a drink created that can wash away hay dust and a thirst so big you could photo it, like Cider....happy nostalgia..

Indeed. That was one of the things I really missed when I lived in the U.S.: a few shops would have Strongbow or Woodpecker, but where I lived in Virginia, "apple cider" was unfiltered apple juice. Tasty enough, but good "hard cider" was as scarce as hen's teeth.

Thankfully, Campari and orange juice isn't a bad substitute on a hot day. Big Grin

----
04-29-2012, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2012 09:50 AM by NWoBHM.)
Its funny, but I reckon the first alcoholic drink most kids cut their teeth on (before Bacardi Breezers were invented) was Woodpecker. Bit too sweet for my tastes nowadays but was a favourite.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
05-02-2012, 12:53 PM
(04-29-2012 09:48 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Its funny, but I reckon the first alcoholic drink most kids cut their teeth on (before Bacardi Breezers were invented) was Woodpecker. Bit too sweet for my tastes nowadays but was a favourite.

I seem to recall a Woodpecker Dark that was not quite so syrupy, or fizzy for that matter.

While purchasing a couple of bottles of Skull Splitter on Monday, I saw, but didn't buy, a Swedish pear cider flavoured with elderberries.

And then had a Monty Python and the Holy Grail moment.... Big Grin

----
05-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Quote:And then had a Monty Python and the Holy Grail moment....

Hahahaha - I fart in your direction........

When we were having all the trouble with the French over the EU stuff and Sokrazy etc and Billy Bunter falling out over the fiskal compakt etc, all the blogs over here were playing that clip.......Hahhahaha still makes me smile.....Big Grin

05-02-2012, 01:37 PM
(05-02-2012 01:08 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Hahahaha - I fart in your direction........

Help help, I'm being oppressed.

Don't get me started, or I'll sic the killer rabbit on you....

(And here's an interesting factoid: one of the shield-carriers as they go into the home of the killer rabbit is carrying a Cunningham one!)

----
05-02-2012, 02:28 PM
Quote:Cunningham one!)

I had not noticed this.....A "Cunningham" one you say, hand beaten, and fur pelt embossed at the Cunningham factory, purveyors of ye fine olde shields of war, Sheffield Limited?

Cool - though - I presume it is your family crest or something?

Mrs NWo`s is a Star of David, a shield with 3 further stars of David, and the inscription, "Sans Venim" - "without poison", which we tend to think means free from poison, or free from oppression, or maybe we conduct our lives without poison in the relationships......who knows??

My family (as far as I know) don`t have a crest, maybe I should get one made, a motif of two crossed drumsticks, set on a mound of broken drumsticks, with the inscription "nemo dat quod non habet"