Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
Sous Vide Cooking
06-16-2012, 12:55 PM
RE: Sous Vide Cooking
NWoBHM, 3 star is up there... Best restaurant in the world... That is something else... Back to liquid oxygen, you might have something. Oxygen is something you can do some interesting stuff with, I am sure. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi LTC, I noticed you mentioned you had heard of Heston Blumenthal as Chef Blumenthal. Now I know you know your wines and cooking, but are you are Pro? Or maybe semi - professional? As I have noticed only those who are professional chefs use the formal "chef" before the surname, when mentioning other professional chefs. If you are that is so cool - to have a professional chef amongst us!! C`est magnifique!!

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-16-2012, 03:19 PM
NWoBHM, sorry to deceive you, but no, I am not a pro chef. In the kitchen, I know my way around, I have been at it for a while. I take cooking classes from chefs, do a lot of research, read many books. As for the chef thing, it seems to be a fad going on here in Quebec where the ''chef'' name is ''over-used''. I even have some chefs that call me chef, but I have no pretentions of being a chef. I can cook for 1 or 100, this is my hobby, passion and love. Some people play golf, some do boating, music, hunt, fish and whatever. I cook!!! Love to entertain and not many will turn down an invitation to come to my table. I also travel to discover what a country, region and city live on. My interest is the food & products grown or produced within, the music, the customs and all. I am planning a trip to Spain in the fall, 2-3 weeks, and I can tell you that almost every night will be Michelin rated restaurants. With the wines accordingly, all Spanish of course. I guess that the closest thing to being a pro. is the fact that I import and export different food products such as spices, saffron, paprika and some herbs is my biggest hit these days. All is sold to ''chefs'' and on the export, I do maple syrup and sugar mostly. I also have sourced different local producers and introduced them to the ''chefs''. I buy nearly all of my meats from the small producers and of course the same for veggies and produces. As you know Sunday the 16th is Father's day and what I will do is ...cook, for all. Starting with cold smoked salmon (LOX), in the dry brine now, then smoked duck breast and to finish off my Bar-b-q'd steaks. If you have no other dinner lined up come on over!!! It will be an excuse to pull the cork on one or two extra bottles...
06-16-2012, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2012 04:24 PM by NWoBHM.)
Quote:Some people play golf, some do boating, music, hunt, fish and whatever. I cook!!!

Ok Doke, I play drums, although I love food, wine etc...I am guessing you are being a bit modest and are a pretty decent "Chef"

06-16-2012, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2012 06:44 PM by LiveToCook.)
(06-16-2012 04:23 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:Some people play golf, some do boating, music, hunt, fish and whatever. I cook!!!

Ok Doke, I play drums, although I love food, wine etc...I am guessing you are being a bit modest and are a pretty decent "Chef"

I was just babbling away here... I was refering to hobbies, are you a pro. musician and earning your livelihood at it? If so this is fantastic, I hope you thank the ''gods'' for your ''gift''. I am in the engineering field for pulp and paper. And yes you are right, I am being a little modest, I could probably be running a restaurant. I was blessed by the gods with the ability to mix, cook and make it taste great. As for my music skills, they are next to nothing. I did play the drums many many moons ago and as much as I could pound em, I was very bad at following a beat, this even if my life depended on it... played in the school band and my teacher thought I was lunatic as I was always wandering away from what was played. Even with my brains being present at 200%, scary, hey Big Grin.
06-16-2012, 10:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-16-2012 10:37 PM by LiveToCook.)
NWoBHM, sorry for all the babbling, sometimes I get deep into the writing aspect and I go off target...Blush I should have mentioned very briefly that being a chef is not only to be able to make great food. It is the management aspect of it all. From ordering to putting a plate on the table and all in between, management of the food, staff, cleanliness of all, what do you do if you are prepared for 50 and you get 100 and what if you get 0. All in all it is one big machine with alot of moving parts. In some cities competition is HARD. So every penny counts and will dictate if you are still in business the week after. It is heavy duty planning and management and a tough game. Not all have the reputation of ''The Fat Duck''. This is the reason I say that I am not a chef and have no pretention of being one. It is like I wrote in an earlier text, I can cook and I do well in that dept. but all the other stuff.... I still have some learning to do. So you coming over for a bite???
06-17-2012, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2012 03:54 AM by NWoBHM.)
Quote: I was refering to hobbies, are you a pro. musician and earning your livelihood at it? If so this is fantastic, I hope you thank the ''gods'' for your ''gift''

No more semi pro - We sell Digital Downloads, CD`s and Vinyl worldwide of our album, through Amazon, iTunes, Napster etc. I have been on BBC Radio and TV etc, our Single has been the subject of a couple of books (one by the Canadian Auther Martin Popoff), and the B Side of it was re-released by Slam Magazine in Austria, Germany and Switzerland as part of the "Roots of Metallica" magazine and cd (apparently sold over 60,000 copies).....but......never enough to have made our livelihood from.

I occassionally "curse the gods" for giving me a gift that I have dedicated my life to, only to never reach its full potential.

Quote:I am in the engineering field for pulp and paper

I used to procure (that is my true source of income - procurement) a lot of paper, and travelled a lot to Paper Mills (Austria) -BIG MACHINES (what was it? 99% water at the WET END, to 1% water at the DRY END - something like that anyway).

06-17-2012, 03:47 AM
Quote:I should have mentioned very briefly that being a chef is not only to be able to make great food. It is the management aspect of it all. From ordering to putting a plate on the table and all in between, management of the food, staff

Yes LTC this is very true. I read about Simon Phillips (top session drummer over here) who had his own recording studio, but could not cope with the business side - forecasts, cash flow, Profit and Loss Accounts, Balance Sheets etc.

This was one of the reasons why I did an MBA and got MCIPS, so I could manage the business side of things without getting stressed.

I think I read Simon got blood poisoning and was in really bad shape from all the stress at one time.

06-17-2012, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2012 09:43 AM by LiveToCook.)
[/quote]I used to procure (that is my true source of income - procurement) a lot of paper, and travelled a lot to Paper Mills (Austria) -BIG MACHINES (what was it? 99% water at the WET END, to 1% water at the DRY END - something like that anyway).[/quote]

Big machines, yes, this rule of 1-99% & 99-1% is OK... IT could be as ''little'' as 0.1% fiber in tissue (facial, toilet paper...) at the Headbox (formation section of the wet end). It is noon here, I just popped the lid off a Spanish '05 Avanthia... simply delicious. I am only allowed to do this today as it is Father's day and my birthday on Tuesday, and I will be travelling... Too bad you are so far as I am sure that we could swap a few stories (and laughs).
(06-17-2012 03:47 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:I should have mentioned very briefly that being a chef is not only to be able to make great food. It is the management aspect of it all. From ordering to putting a plate on the table and all in between, management of the food, staff

Yes LTC this is very true. I read about Simon Phillips (top session drummer over here) who had his own recording studio, but could not cope with the business side - forecasts, cash flow, Profit and Loss Accounts, Balance Sheets etc.

This was one of the reasons why I did an MBA and got MCIPS, so I could manage the business side of things without getting stressed.

I think I read Simon got blood poisoning and was in really bad shape from all the stress at one time.

Imagine, a studio vs. a restaurant where you have all sorts of perishables... Thinking of it, I now understand why half my friends that are chefs and own their restaurants are completely wacked... Big Grin !! In a good sense but still wacked!
06-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi LTC - Well Fathers Day, and I have had two lovely cards, and roast dinner is ticking along nicely. I have poured myself some Cider, and just relaxing a bit before I put the veg on.

Have a great birthday Tuesday - and yes I would enjoy sharing some stories and laughs over a bottle of wine.