Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
Sous Vide Cooking
06-17-2012, 12:37 PM
RE: Sous Vide Cooking
(06-17-2012 09:45 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Hi LTC - Well Fathers Day, and I have had two lovely cards, and roast dinner is ticking along nicely. I have poured myself some Cider, and just relaxing a bit before I put the veg on.

Have a great birthday Tuesday - and yes I would enjoy sharing some stories and laughs over a bottle of wine.

Thanks for the wishes, hope you had a great dinner, my turn in a few hours... hope I can still walkSmile, should be good, now the 2007 Avanthia has been decantered, smells very good. Getting the fresh corn and ''nugget'' potatoes ready. Have not gotten my cards or gifts yet. Anyhow have a great week.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Well, just been having fun with my new toys... As it is the season, I did all sorts of fresh vegetables such as nugget potatoes, corn, asparagus, green beans & baby carrots. Chicken breast and duck leg confit. Pretty much all has been a success except for potatoes a little under cooked, extremely tasty (natural) veggies. Meats were also very good, moist, full flavored, very different from the traditional cooking methods. I still have a lot of homework to do. But, it does look very promising.
07-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Getting things under control...I think??? The more I go the better it is and the more complicated. Just did Guinea Fowl in the confit style with duck fat... Amazing dish. As for vegetables all is pretty much under control. The amazing thing is the amount of herbs and spices used... minimal and all the flavors are kept...you use a fraction of what you would in a conventional method. This is a dimension of cooking that was totaly unknown to me. Rapid dinners, you pull them (meat) out of the freezer, throw them in the hot water (55 deg C) , fix the salad and whatever, light the BarB and throw the warmed up meat on to brown or crisp and there is your meal... Faster than delivery and definitely top notch.
07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
LTC - I have been thinking about getting myself a tagine and doing some cooking using one of these. They look pretty cool and I do like the idea of tagine lamb, (although I am too sure about the fruit which apparently goes in - but I gather it is North Afrika / Morrocan cooking so you get a mix of spice and fruit??)

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-20-2012, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2012 09:33 PM by LiveToCook.)
(07-20-2012 04:14 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  LTC - I have been thinking about getting myself a tagine and doing some cooking using one of these. They look pretty cool and I do like the idea of tagine lamb, (although I am too sure about the fruit which apparently goes in - but I gather it is North Afrika / Morrocan cooking so you get a mix of spice and fruit??)

NWoBHM, How are you? It has been a while... Sorry to ear that Jon Lord of one of your (our) favorite bands passed away recently. As for tajine, it is a very good way of cooking and you should consider a good one (pot). I can recommend from France Émile Henry, these you can cook directly on top of the stove. Or there are others out there that are made by reputable manufacturers. They will last longer and they wont poison you because of bad ''paint''. With a family make sure you buy one that is large enough. I have heard of many horror stories about some breaking up under heat... Do your research. As for fruits the one that is typical with lamb is prunes, I am not one to eat them dried but in the tajine they are very good. And on family request I replace prunes with dried raisin, cranberries or dates. As for spices, you can probably find a Tajine mix, this is somewhat varied from one supplier to the next, again trials are in order. Mixture is typically cumin, sweet Maroccan chilis, coriander, ginger, peppers (black, white, long, Guinea), mace, turmeric, mint, cardamone (green & black), cassia, cinnamon, allspice, clove, bay leafs, lavander, rose petals, nigelle (black cumin) & fenugreek. And no, I am not making this up, it is from the ingredient list on my tajine blend. Or you can get another blend that is fairly popular called Ras El Hanout with very similar ingredients. NOTE: The more spices in the mixture, the better, it seems. I will post a recipe for the lamb and for lemon chicken (if you want this one) when I feel like typing some more and the worse... translating. I know those damn French Canadians... Hey!! Hold on here... I am one of them! Angel As a final note, these Tajine dishes around here are very popular with the family and some of my returning guest ask for them. Hope that answers your question. Smile

I think that we should probably start another post entitled ''Tajine''...
07-21-2012, 03:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 03:39 AM by NWoBHM.)
Quote:I know those damn French Canadians...

Hahaha Mrs NWo`s family are half French Canadian too - they left France when the Catholics took a dislike to Protestants (Huguenots) and some set up here in Blighty, others later to Canada. Her Great Uncle fought with the French Canadians in WW2 (even although I believe he still had British Nationality) - He was KIA which made finding his grave hard as we were looking for a Brit, and the war graves commission had him as French Canadian.

Anyway - yes thanks for the reply - I am very good, sad obiously of Jon Lords passing (he never even warranted a mention on Brit TV - although we had 15 minutes of Elton John prattling on about his drug problems on the 70`s that day - hey ho).

Anyway - thanks for the heads up on the Tajine front - although I am not sure I want to poison the family with paint - so will see if someone like the French Le Creuset manufacture them. I actually like the sound of prunes in the dish, I have had a few Italian dishes (starters) which have prunes (I think) with Parma Ham, Basil and Tomoatos etc and it is very nice...

07-21-2012, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2012 07:31 AM by LiveToCook.)
(07-21-2012 03:38 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  

Hahaha Mrs NWo`s family are half French Canadian too
Always interesting the family history, no questions.

As for the Creuset company, I am pretty sure that they have one... certainly would last for a long time
(07-21-2012 07:27 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  

As for the Creuset company, I am pretty sure that they have one... certainly would last for a long time

And I will post the recipes... getting hungry just thinking about them... Time for breakfast, hum, I am late. Those lazy Saturday mornings Cool
07-21-2012, 07:33 AM
(07-21-2012 07:27 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  

The Family name from Mrs NWo`s Maternal Grandmother is "Vergette" - I think a Vergette is a fairly famous Canadian artist - Her Great Uncle was William Vergette - Vergette happens to be the name of our company over here........The family motto is "Sans Venim" - Free from Poison.

07-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Quote:As for the Creuset company, I am pretty sure that they have one... certainly would last for a long time

Yes they do - 100 quid, but like you say would last a lifetime. I have a load of their casserole pots I have used for about 30 years, pretty much good as new -

[Image: 41GBEAXi5ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

07-21-2012, 07:51 AM
(07-21-2012 07:39 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:As for the Creuset company, I am pretty sure that they have one... certainly would last for a long time

Yes they do - 100 quid, but like you say would last a lifetime. I have a load of their casserole pots I have used for about 30 years, pretty much good as new -

[Image: 41GBEAXi5ZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

Sounds like a decent price depending on the size of it.