Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
Sous Vide Cooking
09-05-2015, 11:22 AM
RE: Sous Vide Cooking
My first sous vide attempt. New York strip(131deg F @ 2.5hr then finished in the skillet), with a simple mash and Guinness/mustard sauce...

[Image: food472_zps96jqvqrn.jpg]

Utter failure. Clearly I've much to learn, as I somehow was able to make a prime grade strip taste like dairy cow that was thrown on the griddle at Jeb's Waffle House. Even though I rested for 10min, the tissue fiber remained tight and never released. Also, I salted liberally prior to sealing but it still turned out tinny and under seasoned. So basically, the flavor and texture sucked.

Dang...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2015, 11:45 AM
(09-05-2015 11:22 AM)Sunset Wrote:  My first sous vide attempt. New York strip(131deg F @ 2.5hr then finished in the skillet), with a simple mash and Guinness/mustard sauce...

[Image: food472_zps96jqvqrn.jpg]

Utter failure. Clearly I've much to learn, as I somehow was able to make a prime grade strip taste like dairy cow that was thrown on the griddle at Jeb's Waffle House. Even though I rested for 10min, the tissue fiber remained tight and never released. Also, I salted liberally prior to sealing but it still turned out tinny and under seasoned. So basically, the flavor and texture sucked.

Dang...

Try this: http://sansaire.com/2014/12/cook-prime-rib-sous-vide/

Good luck!
09-05-2015, 01:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2015 01:12 PM by Sunset.)
While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm thinking I need to learn how to SV a steak properly before moving on to 6lb standing rib roasts.Big Grin
I'm also thinking, quite possibly erroneously, that pork&poultry muscle tissue might lend itself better to SV than does beef.

I mean, I could have prepared that finely marbled strip in 5 different ways that would have yielded superior results in both flavor and texture.

Or maybe I'm just rubbish.Big Grin

09-05-2015, 01:25 PM
(09-05-2015 01:04 PM)Sunset Wrote:  While I appreciate the vote of confidence, I'm thinking I need to learn how to SV a steak properly before moving on to 6lb standing rib roasts.Big Grin
I'm also thinking, quite possibly erroneously, that pork&poultry muscle tissue might lend itself better to SV than does beef.

I mean, I could have prepared that finely marbled strip in 5 different ways that would have yielded superior results in both flavor and texture.

Or maybe I'm just rubbish.Big Grin

One word of advice? Trial and error
09-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Agreed...

You mention you've been experimenting with SV. What dishes have you been working on? Pix?

09-05-2015, 01:54 PM
(09-05-2015 01:34 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Agreed...

You mention you've been experimenting with SV. What dishes have you been working on? Pix?

I did chicken breast and I diced it and put it in a salad. I sou Vide it at 140F at 5 hours. It was tasteless but the salad with the dressing made it taste great. A friend, a former chemist is doing Sou Vide and he said that prime rib may have to boil for a long time for the meat to break down. He had sou vide for more than 20 hours.

Also, when you seal the bag, do you use a vacuum seal or do you use the water to push the air out? I used the water to push the air out after I dropped it in the bath. I'm still learning to Sou Vide and am getting advice from a friend. Sad thing about doing sous vide? you may need a degree in chemistry...ha! So it's trial and error for me
09-06-2015, 06:50 AM
I wasn't interested in the added up front expense of a vacuum sealer, so I did like you and used a ziplock and the immersion method to drive the air out. It worked very well imo.

And the somewhat bland, unseasoned character was a problem for me too even though I seasoned liberally prior to placing the beef in the bag.

Trial an error it is, because y'all know dang well I'm not giving up. On the contrary, I look forward to the challenge.

09-06-2015, 10:44 AM
(09-06-2015 06:50 AM)Sunset Wrote:  I wasn't interested in the added up front expense of a vacuum sealer, so I did like you and used a ziplock and the immersion method to drive the air out. It worked very well imo.

And the somewhat bland, unseasoned character was a problem for me too even though I seasoned liberally prior to placing the beef in the bag.

Trial an error it is, because y'all know dang well I'm not giving up. On the contrary, I look forward to the challenge.

Well as Bubba in one of his book, you need to endure! Also, Youtube has a lot of good videos to learn from too. I have a chemist friend who Sous Vide. I'll share when I get more information
09-06-2015, 08:28 PM
Phase II experiment...

1. Texture @ 131deg F:
-2.5hr
-3.5hr
-5.0hr

Flavor:
-all 3 subjects seasoned and seared @ very high heat prior to bagging/bath in an effort to improve bland washed out flavor of first attempt.

News at eleven...

09-07-2015, 08:29 AM
[Image: food473_zpsyxoxpkqf.jpg]