Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2.5 Average
Sous Vide Cooking
09-07-2015, 06:28 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015 06:29 PM by Sunset.)
RE: Sous Vide Cooking
Results(butter baste to finish method unchanged)...

Flavor:
1. Seasoning and searing prior to bagging produces a superior end result(a big fat pat of butter in the bag helps imo).

Texture:
1.The 2.5hr subject was better than both the 3.5 and 5.0...which begs the question: Is 2hr better than 2.5? Further, is 1.5hr better than 2?

Research continues....

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2015, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2015 07:44 AM by LiveToCook.)
Sorry to burst your bubble guys... But you DO NEED a vacuum sealer... You have air in the pack and you are stacking the odds against yourself. Sunshine, I sort of noticed that your bag is sticking out of the water... This is a no-no!!! I did beef and it turned out very good. Now, I see that you are needing to start learning about the addition of spices, aromats such as herbs, liquids in the likes of mustards and whatever you use in normal cooking and so on. When it comes to spices, you have to reduce the quantities as you do not lose anything with the sous-vide. You do have to reduce by 50% plus in the case of ''powerful'' type spices. As for sous-vide for tenderizing, IT IS the ultimate method, I have tenderized beef parts that you would normally consider throwing away before grilling. I am a little tight for time to pass on methods / recipes. Sorry about this, but I do need to go back to my notes before passing on the information or doing a major ''fault'' going by memory.
09-08-2015, 09:53 AM
I'm all ears!

At your earliest convenience or course...

09-21-2015, 09:10 AM
3hr marinade(soy/ginger/garlic/sesame oil/honey), then 20min@140F. Seared @ nuclear then plated.

[Image: food483_zpspq8qhxdt.jpg]

Definitely in the fail column, but only because I like my salmon a super juicy med. rare and the recipe I followed to the letter produced a filet considerably more well done than I like.

Now then, in the category of "new discoveries that steal the show", I've never done a slow egg in sous vide(45min @ 146.3F) and I had planned to plop one on the asparagus. I did two for this meal...one to test prior to plating and one for the plate.

OMG...that texture!!! It was soooooo rich and velvety I destroyed both of 'em up au natural(with a swish of Pinot to cut through all that glorious protein/fat) and to hell with the asparagus thing. I'll never poach an egg by conventional means ever again.

[Image: food479_zpsns3vsui7.jpg]

[Image: food480_zpsn0psqds4.jpg]

10-05-2015, 10:39 PM
(09-21-2015 09:10 AM)Sunset Wrote:  Now then, in the category of "new discoveries that steal the show", I've never done a slow egg in sous vide(45min @ 146.3F) and I had planned to plop one on the asparagus. I did two for this meal...one to test prior to plating and one for the plate.

OMG...that texture!!! It was soooooo rich and velvety I destroyed both of 'em up au natural(with a swish of Pinot to cut through all that glorious protein/fat) and to hell with the asparagus thing. I'll never poach an egg by conventional means ever again.

[Image: food479_zpsns3vsui7.jpg]

[Image: food480_zpsn0psqds4.jpg]

Dat's a lotta teknologee to cook an egg... Confused

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
10-20-2015, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2015 02:08 PM by Sunset.)
(10-05-2015 10:39 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  Dat's a lotta teknologee to cook an egg... Confused

Yeahbut...dat texture tho.

Fresh belly SV @ 155 F for 48 hours with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, rice wine, mirin, green onions, sesame oil garlic and ginger.

[Image: food504_zpsogrcfgrw.jpg]

[Image: food503_zpsb9ieazie.jpg]

[Image: food502_zpsqdmo2dmn.jpg]

[Image: food507_zpspbaxjynd.jpg]

Decidedly non-traditional Banh Mi. Grilled belly, roasted garlic aioli, quick pickled cukes, super spicy carrot sambal, fresh coriander/jalapeno, and that primo reduction on crisped ciabatta. Paired with a Mendocino Pinot Noir...heads exploded.

[Image: food506_zpskekusy8a.jpg]

10-25-2015, 11:36 PM
(10-20-2015 02:07 PM)Sunset Wrote:  Decidedly non-traditional Banh Mi. Grilled belly, roasted garlic aioli, quick pickled cukes, super spicy carrot sambal, fresh coriander/jalapeno, and that primo reduction on crisped ciabatta. Paired with a Mendocino Pinot Noir...heads exploded.

[Image: food506_zpskekusy8a.jpg]
DAAAAAAANNNNGGGGggggUHHH.... <<droooooolll>>Big Grin

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
11-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Thanks!Big Grin

I'm not in the Sous Vide is Panacea camp, but there are definitely things the technique does really well. Short Ribs seems to be one of them...superior texture and beefier taste when compared to a standard braise imo. 72hrs @ 134deg...

Throw a nice butter crust on 'em...
[Image: food513_zpswihpyl8a.jpg]

Short rib slider. Crostini, spicy mayo, dirty slaw, quick pickled shallot, pile o ribs, reduction, and gremolata...
[Image: food514_zps203yq1ea.jpg]

01-01-2016, 02:30 PM
Short rib burger with grilled onion and romesco. 72hrs@144F

[Image: food530_zps17pmd1kr.jpg]
[Image: food534_zpsjxksuesp.jpg]

01-01-2016, 03:31 PM
Interesting!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"