Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have too many eggs!!
05-26-2012, 01:16 PM
RE: I have too many eggs!!
You can make pound cake and angel food cake One uses all yolks and one uses up all the whites, plus both freeze really well! With Berries in season you'll have cakes for short cake!! My dear grandma taught me that trick so we didn't waste anything.

"An Oasis of Solid Ground in an Endless Sea of Confusion"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2012, 09:00 PM
(05-26-2012 01:16 PM)Layllah Wrote:  You can make pound cake and angel food cake One uses all yolks and one uses up all the whites, plus both freeze really well! With Berries in season you'll have cakes for short cake!! My dear grandma taught me that trick so we didn't waste anything.

What a great suggestion!

Find all posts by this user
05-27-2012, 02:03 AM
(05-26-2012 01:16 PM)Layllah Wrote:  You can make pound cake and angel food cake One uses all yolks and one uses up all the whites, plus both freeze really well! With Berries in season you'll have cakes for short cake!! My dear grandma taught me that trick so we didn't waste anything.

Brilliant! Thank you Smile

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
05-27-2012, 07:58 PM
I have the same problem.... my hens generally lay more eggs than I can eat! If you want to save them in the fridge for a long period of time, coat them with a little bit of oil. They will stay good for months!

My daughter came up with a ... weird... idea that actually works if you are daring enough to try it. There is a "as seen on TV" Product called "eggies" that you can probably get at a local walmart. It sounds stupid .... you crack an egg into this plastic shell thing, then boil it. Its supposed to be great for deviled eggs. However, if you crack an egg in one, then add cheese and sausage (or bacon), shake it then boil it, you get a rather tasty mini omelet that you can do just about anything with. Even serve them at a party if you want. My kid uses them as a quick breakfast that she can grab and go. If you store them in something, they will last up to a week.

And I admit.. the eggies DO solve another problem. When you have those new eggs, hard boiling them is a pain because in order to peal them out of the shell without problems you have to let them sit around for a week or so. But with the Eggies thing, you aren't using the shell so there is no shell to stick to the white of the egg if you boil them when they are too new. Frankly, I thought the darn things were the silliest, most ridiculous things going when I saw the infomercial for them but I am force to admit, they can be useful for coming up with egg ideas.

Intolerant of Intolerance.
05-28-2012, 01:54 AM
I've seen the commercial for those. We've actually been talking about getting them for months. Maybe we will break down and do it tomorrow. Those mini-omelets sound good!

05-28-2012, 11:09 AM
(05-28-2012 01:54 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  I've seen the commercial for those. We've actually been talking about getting them for months. Maybe we will break down and do it tomorrow. Those mini-omelets sound good!

I think they cost about 10 bucks or so for the set. LOL.. they make interesting, egg shaped omelet things! ONly down side? Cooking time... it takes about 20 minutes to cook. But if you do about six of them at a time and just throw them in the fridge it works out ok.

06-04-2012, 08:44 PM
SM -- the next time you have too many eggs, try the cheesecake -- I found the recipe online (big surprise). ;-)

I don't put anything on it: you don't need it. And I usually cut the sugar in the filling in half, and use brown instead of white.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/52...5766.shtml

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
06-05-2012, 06:01 PM
(06-04-2012 08:44 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  SM -- the next time you have too many eggs, try the cheesecake -- I found the recipe online (big surprise). ;-)

I don't put anything on it: you don't need it. And I usually cut the sugar in the filling in half, and use brown instead of white.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/52...5766.shtml

But if I make it, I'll have to eat it! Big Grin

Ya know what, that is our family go-to cheesecake recipe. Ren Man got it from one of the cooking shows he worked on. He and Katie usually make it - in fact, she's kind of become the family dessert chef. The great thing about it is the sponge cake crust: it doesn't get soggy like graham cracker crusts can. It really is an award-winning recipe for a reason!

06-05-2012, 06:30 PM
(06-05-2012 06:01 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  But if I make it, I'll have to eat it! Big Grin

Ya know what, that is our family go-to cheesecake recipe. Ren Man got it from one of the cooking shows he worked on. He and Katie usually make it - in fact, she's kind of become the family dessert chef. The great thing about it is the sponge cake crust: it doesn't get soggy like graham cracker crusts can. It really is an award-winning recipe for a reason!

LOL -- I found it when I moved to NYC in 1982. But yeah, if you make it, you need to have a crowd to eat it. I took one to a house-warming party for friends, and one of the guys said "wow, it's so good, I'd love a second piece."

I told him if he could keep another one down, I'd make him his very own cheesecake. Well, he got maybe half-way through it, and started slowing down. It took another 30 minutes for him to finish it, and then he began to turn green.

By the time he drove me home, he was in agony: I don't think he got half a block from my door when the car stopped, and he was virulently ill. Never did collect on the whole one either....

Big Grin

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
06-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I checked that cheese cake recipe... oh man.... I'm gaining weight just looking! Anyone know a good gluten free one? My husband loves cheese cake but can't eat it now because he has celiacs. Suggestions?